UPDATE: The first stimulus payments were sent Monday, June 22. All payments will be distributed by June 30.
Disabled military veterans currently receiving VA Disability Benefits are eligible to receive a one-time $250 Economic-Recovery Check from the US government. This is part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act that President Obama signed into law this past February.
Who is eligible for the $250 Stimulus Payment?
The $250 government stimulus check is for:
- Retirees, disabled individuals and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipients receiving benefits from the Social Security Administration.
- Disabled veterans receiving benefits from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Railroad Retirement beneficiaries.
This is a one time check that will be sent out in 2009. As of this writing, there are no plans to make this check available in 2010 or beyond.
VA Disability Beneficiaries stimulus check information
If you receive disability benefits from the VA, you will be among the thousands of individuals receiving this $250 stimulus check. Here is the information you need to know:
- You will receive a one time $250 check.
- You will receive the payment in the same method you receive your regular disability payment (direct deposit or physical check).
- Your $250 stimulus payment will not be included in your regular VA disability payment.
- The $250 stimulus check is not considered taxable income.
- The $250 stimulus check will not affect your disability rating or benefits.
- Your check may be used to offset debts owed to federal or state agencies (back taxes, child support, etc.).
- You can only receive one $250 stimulus payment, even if you are eligible for more than one payment, such as from Social Security, Supplemental Security Income (SSI)m or the Railroad Retirement Board. If you receive more than one check you will need to return it, or it will be taken from your account at a later date.
- The stimulus check should show up in your bank account as an electronic transfer from the “US Treasury 220 VA ERP.”
When will you receive your $250 stimulus check?
Disabled veterans should receive their payment by July 10, 2009. If you do not receive it by then, you should contact the Veterans Affairs Administration by e-mail, letter, or phone. Be sure to include your VA file number (usually SSN) when you contact them. Here is the contact information:
- Internet: https://iris.va.gov
- Phone: 1-800-827-1000, or 1-800-829-4833 (TDD)
- Mail: Department of Veterans Affairs, 1240 E 9th St, Cleveland OH, 44199
For more information about the $250 stimulus payment, check out the following websites: