If you are a military member or retiree who is planning a Disney World vacation, then it pays to take advantage of the generous military discounts Disney offers through their Disney’s Armed Forces Salute program. There are several promotions available, including a discounted Park-Hopper pass, discounted rates at Disney Resorts, and Disney’s military hotel, Shades of Green, and Disney Cruise Vacations.
Disney World Military Discounts Eligibility
Eligible participants include:
- Active duty members of the Air Force, Army, Marines, Navy, Coast Guard
- Members of the National Guard and Reserves
- Military Retirees
- Spouses of Military Service Members also qualify if they are able to present valid and active U.S. Military IDs in the absence of active Military Personnel.
Valid ID is required to purchase and use these discounted tickets.
Disney World Park-Hopper Pass
The Park-Hopper promotion is good for a 4-Day Park Hopper ticket, which gives you access to all four Disney World parks.
2015 Valid Dates: Purchase a 4-day Park-Hopper pass through December 17, 2015, for use through December 20, 2015. Price is $177, plus tax (add the water park option for $30, plus tax). (2015 Details).
2016 Valid dates: Purchase through December 16, 2016 and receive admission on any 4 days for just $196 plus tax, from January 3 through March 19, 2016 and April 2 through December 19, 2016. (see blackout dates below). You can also add park admission to the water parks for $34 more per person, plus tax. (2016 Details).
Where to buy tickets: Disney Military Promotional Tickets may be only purchased at participating U.S. military sales locations, and can only be purchased by the servicemember, or their spouse (but not both), for use by themselves and other family members and friends.
Up to 6 tickets may be purchased at these discounted rates, however, the tickets may not be sold or transferred, so be sure to only buy what you will use! As a security feature, these promotional tickets are not valid until activated by eligible service members or their spouse at a Disney Wold theme park ticket window.
The Disney website states, “The actual prices charged at the individual U.S. military base ticket offices for Disney Military Promotional Tickets may be less than the prices set forth above.” There are no guarantees your local base will offer these tickets for less than the stated price, but that would be a nice bonus!
Fine Print and Exclusions
As mentioned above, you or your spouse can buy up to 6 total tickets, however, they cannot be transferred. In addition, there are some blackout dates and locations:
- December 21, 20145through January 2, 2016: Not valid at any theme parks or gated attractions.
- March 20, 2016 through April 2, 2016: Not valid at any theme parks or gated attractions.
Expiration dates and other fine print:
- Valid military identification will be required for purchase and use. Tickets must be activated at Walt Disney World theme park ticket windows.
- Tickets and options expire and may not be used after December 19, 2016.
- No more than six (6) Disney Military Promotional Tickets may be purchased and (if applicable) activated by any Eligible Service Member or spouse (regardless of the place of purchase and whether purchased by that person or that person’s spouse).
- In addition, one of the six (6) Tickets purchased must be used by the Eligible Service Member or his/her spouse.
- Each Disney Military Promotional Ticket must be used by the same person on any and all days.
Shades of Green – Disney’s Military Hotel
Orlando area hotels are typically very expensive. A good way to save money is to stay at the Shades of Green resort, a military-owned resort located at Walt Disney World. They offer more affordable rates, as well as free shuttle transportation to the Disney World Theme parks. Members who stay at the Shades of Green resort are also eligible for the Extra Magic Hours benefit, which gives Disney hotel guests an extra hour at the theme parks before they open to the general public. Visit the Shades of Green website for more information about rates and availability.
Military Discounts at Disney Hotels
Disney also offers military discounts to military members, retirees, and their spouses. Discounts can be up to 30-40% off regular rates. However, the number of rooms is limited, there may be length of stay requirements, and blackout dates may apply. Valid military ID is required.
Blackout Dates: Enjoy great rates at select Walt Disney World Resort hotels when you book by December 19, 2016 for stays most nights from January 3 through December 19, 2016. Offer not valid March 20 through April 1, 2016.
Disney Military Cruise Discounts
These discounts vary by season, destination, which cruise ship, and other factors. Discounts are often announced with short notice (30 – 60 days out), so it is recommended to check back frequently. Here is the Disney Cruise Line Military Discount page.
More Military Discounts, Theme Parks, & Travel Savings
Here are some more savings you may find helpful:
- Military & Veteran Travel Discounts. (check out the military discounts for Disney World’s Shades of Green Resort).
- Free Event Tickets – Vet Tix – Veteran Tickets Foundation.
- Free Admission to Anheuser-Busch Adventure Parks – Salute to Heroes.
- Military Discounts.
- Armed Forces Vacation Club Discounts.
Photo credit: Scott Smith.