Flu season is just around the corner, and it is better to get immunized sooner rather than later. While flu shots can be expensive, there are several ways to get your shot free or at a reduced cost.
For instance, did you know that US Military Veterans can get free flu shots at local VA hospitals and clinics? This is a free service provided by VA clinics and hospitals to all US military veterans, regardless of when they served.
How to get your free flu shot from the VA
To receive your free flu shot from a VA clinic or hospital, you have to be in the VA’s medical system. If you are not already in their system, you will need to provide a copy of your DD Form 214 to prove your military service. After you are in their system, they will require you to fill out a standard health questionnaire and then you can get your shot. It’s that easy.
For more information about getting a free flu shot from the VA, or to find the nearest VA medical facility, contact your local VA facility.
Don’t qualify for the free VA flu shot? Try these tips
If you have family members how do not qualify for the free flu shots, try these tips for free and inexpensive flu shots:
- Local hospitals and clinics – some charge as little as $10-20 per shot. Check in your local community for more information.
- Insurance company – Many insurance companies provide free or reduced immunizations. Check your policy to see if you are eligible.
- Grocery stores, drug stores, and retailers – Many stores that see a lot of foot traffic offer customers a way to get inexpensive flu shots. This is a great way for them to increase their traffic, and the stores’ management know that when people come for a flu shot, they are also likely to spend money shopping.
- Employer – Many companies and employers provide free or discounted flu shots because the cost is much less expensive that the lost productivity of people missing several days for the flu.
- Airports – Some airports now offer flu shots as a way to reach the travelers.
Flu season is fast approaching. Don’t forget to immunize yourself!