Veterans who lived in the state of Massachusetts immediately prior to entry in the armed forces or deployment may be eligible for a Massachusetts Military Veterans Bonus. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts provides these bonuses to veterans or in the case of a deceased veteran, their surviving spouse, children, parents, siblings or other dependents who would also be eligible to receive the bonus. Surviving family members would be granted the eligible bonus in the order which they appeared above.
Massachusetts Military Veterans Bonuses
The bonuses that veterans may be eligible for include the following bonuses: World War II, Korean War, Vietnam War, Persian Gulf War and the Welcome Home Bonus. The following information applies to veterans who served in any of above mentioned wars or conflicts.
Massachusetts Military Veterans Bonus Eligibility Requirements
- World War II: Veterans who meet the definition of a Massachusetts Veteran (as amended by the Acts of 2005) may be eligible for three separate bonuses. A $100 bonus for veterans who served in active duty from one day to six months, $200 for veterans who performed stateside service for six or more months and $300 for those who performed foreign service. More information.
- Korean War: Veterans who meet the definition of a Massachusetts Veteran (as amended by Acts of 2005) may be eligible for three separate bonuses. A $100 bonus for servicemembers who performed 90 days stateside, $200 for veterans who performed six months or more and $300 for any servicemember serving one or more days outside the continental US. More information.
- Vietnam War: To receive the $200 Vietnam War Veterans Bonus, servicemembers must have performed active duty between July 1, 1958 and May 16, 1975. This bonus is rewarded to those who served for six months or more. Vietnam veterans who served on duty in Vietnam will receive a $300 bonus. More information.
- Persian Gulf War: Servicemembers who served between August 2, 1990 and April 10, 1991 for thirty or more days are eligible for the Persian Gulf War Veterans Bonus. Those called to duty in areas other than the Persian Gulf receive $300. Veterans who were called to duty and served in the Persian Gulf (war zone or surrounding waters) who have also received the Southwest Asia Service Medal will receive $500. More information.
- Welcome Home Bonus: To be eligible for the Welcome Home Bonus, veterans must have resided in the state of Massachusetts for at least six months prior to joining the armed forces beginning on September 11, 2001. Those who served in Iraq or Afghanistan will receive $1,000; those who served stateside or outside the continental limits of the US for six months or more of active duty will receive $500. More information.
Veteran who are not eligible: Veterans who have received a dishonorable discharge or those that do not meet the requirements above will not be eligible to receive the specified bonus. If the veteran in ineligible, surviving beneficiaries would also be ineligible.
How to Claim the Massachusetts Military Veterans Bonus
How To Claim the Veterans Bonus. For veterans or surviving relatives interested in claiming a Massachusetts Veterans Bonus, applications are available online at the Treasurer’s website. To contact the Treasurer, individuals may use the following address for all bonuses listed here:
Office of the Treasurer
One Ashburton Place, 12th Floor
Boston, MA 02108
Advertisement - Continues Below
The telephone number to call for the World War II Bonus is 617-367-3900, extension 308. For the Korean War Bonus or Vietnam War Bonus, call 617-367-3900, ext 208. Those calling in reference to the Welcome Home Bonus can call 617-367-9333, ext 350.
For Persian Gulf veterans only:
Veterans’ Bonus Division, Department of Veterans’ Services
600 Washington Street, Suite 1100
Boston, MA 02111
Applicants and their relatives may be required to provide proof of residency or next of kin documentation or certain service records to prove eligibility.