Ohio recently created a Veterans Bonus Program to thank Ohio Veterans who served during periods of conflict. Eligible veterans serving on active duty (except active duty for training) anywhere in the world during the specified dates may receive $50 a month up to a maximum bonus of $500.
Eligible veterans who served in the Persian Gulf, Afghanistan, or Iraq during certain dates may receive a $100 bonus for each month they served in those locations, up to a maximum of $1,000. An eligible veteran may combine their service bonuses for a maximum payment of $1,500.
Ohio Veterans Bonus Program Details
Who is Eligible for the Ohio Veterans Bonus Program?
Ohio veterans may be eligible for the bonuses if they served on active duty in the US armed forces, including those who served in the Ohio National Guard, if they served in the specified locations during specific time periods for reasons other than training (information about eligible locations and dates is below).
To be eligible, applicants must have been legal residents in Ohio when they went on active duty and must be Ohio residents when they apply for the bonus.
To be eligible for the Ohio Veterans Program Bonus:
- The veteran must have been separated from the armed forces under honorable conditions.
- The veteran remains on active duty service.
- After active duty service, the veteran remains in any reserve component of the armed forces, including the Ohio National Guard.
Eligible Service Dates and Locations
Eligible veterans may receive $100 for each month of active duty service in the following locations during these specified dates:
- Persian Gulf: Between August 2, 1990 and March 3, 1991, the date when Iraq accepted the conditions for a permanent cease fire. Eligible veterans can apply for a bonus until December 31, 2013.
- Afghanistan: Since October 7, 2001. Eligible veterans can apply for a bonus for up to three years after the President declares an end to U.S. involvement in Afghanistan.
- Iraq: Since March 19, 2003. Eligible veterans can apply for a bonus for up to three years after the president declares an end to U.S. involvement in Iraq.
The maximum benefit for service in those three areas is $1,000.
Eligible veterans may also apply for a $50 bonus per month they served during these time periods if they served anywhere else in the world. The maximum bonus under these provisions is $500 and the bonuses may be combined for a maximum of $1500.
Families of deceased Ohio veterans may also be eligible for bonus. There also are other bonuses available to eligible veterans or the families of deceased veterans. For these eligibility details and specifications, please visit: veteransbonus.ohio.gov/odvs_web/Eligibility_Requirements.aspx
How to claim the Ohio Veterans Bonus
To apply for the bonus, applicants should go to veteransbonus.ohio.gov, and complete the online application. You may also visit a public library if you do not have internet access or visit your local Ohio’s County Veterans Service Office for assistance.
Application must be signed, notarized and mailed. The final application must be printed, signed, and notarized or acknolwdged before it will be accepted. Mail your application to Ohio Veterans Bonus, P.O. Box 373 Sandusky, Ohio 44871.
The estimated processing time for Ohio Veterans Bonus Program applications is approximately eight weeks, depending on the volume of applications initially received.
Applicants with specific questions can call 1 -877-OHIO-VET or go online at: veteransbonus.ohio.gov.
Please help spread the word
Please forward this information to any Ohio veterans you may know. Those who have been separated from the military for several years may not be aware of this benefit.