How to Get a Copy of Your DD Form 214

Perhaps the most important military document you will ever receive is the DD Form 214, Discharge Papers and Separation Documents. This form serves as your proof of military service and is often used to verify military service for benefits such as the GI Bill, VA Loan, VA medical benefits, retirement benefits, employment, and membership in veteran’s organizations.

Because your DD Form 214 is so important, it is imperative you keep a copy of it for proof of service or eligibility for benefits, organization membership, or other programs. Unfortunately, things happen and your DD Form 214 can get lost or stolen. The following instructions can help you replace your DD Form 214 if you need another copy – for yourself or a loved one.

How to replace DD Form 214

If you need to replace your DD Form 214 you should request a copy of military personnel records from the National Archives.

Two methods for requesting military records: Veterans and their next of kin have two methods for requesting copies of military records:

  1. Electronic method. Use the eVetRecs system to create your request.
  2. Paper method. Mail or Fax a Standard Form SF-180 (see address below). Paper forms must be printed, signed, and dated.

NPRC Mailing Address:
National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100
phone: 314-801-0800
fax: 314-801-9195

Required information to request replacement DD Form 214:

  • Veteran’s complete name used while in service.
  • Service number or Social security number.
  • Branch of service.
  • Dates of service.
  • Date and place of birth (especially if the service number is not known).
  • Recommended information (not required, but may help expedite the process): Purpose for request (applying for benefits, preparing to retire, researching personal military history), deadline, additional forms or information required.

If you believe your records may have been destroyed in the 1973 fire, then you should have the following information available:

  • Place of discharge.
  • Last unit of assignment.
  • Place of entry into the service, if known.

The Privacy Act of 1974 requires all military records requests be submitted in writing, and each request must be signed and dated by the veteran or next-of-kin.

Who may request military records:

Only the veteran or the next of kin of a deceased veteran can request a complete copy of a member’s military service records (limited information may be available to the general public). If you are the next of kin of a deceased veteran and are requesting a copy of the veteran’s military records, you must provide proof of death of the veteran, such as a copy of death certificate, letter from funeral home, or published obituary.

Next-of-kin is defined as the surviving spouse that has not remarried, father, mother, son, daughter, sister, or brother. If you are a relative of the deceased veteran, but are not considered next of kin, you can still request a copy of the military service records. However, you need to complete Standard Form 180. Follow the instructions found here: Access to Military Records by the General Public and Researchers.

Additional tips when requesting military records

  • Be patient. Standard requests for a copy of your DD Form 214 normally take at least 10 days, and may take longer, especially if the records were involved in the fire of 1973. You can check the status of your request via e-mail or by telephone at NPRC Customer Service Line: 1-314-801-0800 (note: this is not a toll-free number).
  • Avoid military records scams: Most military records are provided by the National Archives free of charge for veterans, next-of-kin, and authorized representatives. If your request involves a service fee, you will be notified by a representative from the National Archives. There are some companies out there who charge exorbitant fees to do research which can be done by you for free. Keep in mind you must also provide these companies with sensitive and private personal information including your social security number.

Print Friendly
Date published: May 28, 2010. Last updated: November 29, 2011.

Article by

Ryan Guina is the founder and editor of this site. He is a writer, small business owner, and entrepreneur. He served over 6 years on active duty in the USAF and is currently serving in the IL Air National Guard. He also writes about money management, small business, and career topics at Cash Money Life. You can also see his profile on Google.


  1. Al Fregin says

    Hello,maybe someone knows a way to get old information !! Iwas in France,from 3/’55 to 9/’57 with the 83rd engs. ‘A’ Co. worked a few offshore unloading opps. trying to put the dates and places together, tried the NPRC in St. Louis they said its not a matter of record any ideas Thanks Al

  2. Dale says

    I Served my country in the Army National Guard, for 6yrs and was honorably discharged in 1963

    My discharge records show a form NGB22 not a DD214 form. Because of this I have no benefits, and not considered a Veteran. I signed my name on the dotted line like all vets and belonged to USA, like all vets. But cannot receive any benefits because of the paper work as usual. So I am just doing what this says “speak your mind” thanks for letting me blow of steam.
    Dale sgt E-5 118th Sig Bn

  3. Mary Ann says

    THANK YOU! I have been in the clutches of the VA as I tried to find out what my father-in-law needed to do to get proof of military service just so he can obtain local businesses discounts; this site breaks down the information needed and what we need to do in a clear, logical (haha using that word and government in same sentence), and systematic format.
    I am also trying to find out if my mother qualifies for any VA benefits since my father was 100% service connected disabled. She has an ID that entitles her to use the commissary and they had Tri-Care when I was a child but her card is now expired. Again, I think I will be able to accomplish my goal with the help of this site!
    The wonderful job you have done here is a God send to those of us who have no clue where to start.

    Mary Ann

  4. Anderson says

    Hi, I served in the military for a little over 2 years. I ending up breaking my hip and lower lumbar in a training accident. I was given a general under honorable discharge after fighting the board for it. (I wanted to rejoin later if possible) I recently requested a copy of my seperation papers and DD-214. I recieved a DD-214 release from active duty training. No seperation papers and no actual DD-214. The cover letter I recieved said that the documents I requested were not found. I joined in 2006 and discharged November of 2008. I need it for a correctional officers job. I was considered byt turned down because I didnt have a copy of my DD-214. Any help at all would be appreciated. Thank you.

  5. Jeorge says

    I was in the USMC and served from 2000-2005 and when I applied for my DD214s theyre saying that the social security number and name I am giving them doesn’t match the file. Please help. I have no id. My fiancé lost her job and we are going to be homeless with our 3 children under the age of 6. I need help now!

Speak Your Mind

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *