Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) Benefits – Replaces VA Disability Offset for Military Retirees with Combat-Related Disabilities

Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) benefits replace VA Disability Offset payments for military retirees with a combat related injury or disability.
Advertising Disclosure.

Advertiser Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone. This article may contain links from our advertisers. For more information, please see our Advertising Policy.

The Military Wallet has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. The Military Wallet and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Some or all of the card offers that appear on The Military Wallet are from advertisers. Compensation may impact how and where card products appear, but does not affect our editors’ opinions or evaluations. The Military Wallet does not include all card companies or all available card offers.

Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) BenefitsYou may be eligible to receive additional compensation.

Did you know that if you are a military retiree with a combat-related disability you may be eligible to receive additional compensation through the Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) program? This is a relatively new law that many retirees are not aware of.

Until 2004, there was a law on the books that prevented military retirees from receiving both military retirement pay and VA service-connected disability compensation simultaneously. Military retirees could choose to receive VA disability compensation if they were eligible. Still, their military retirement pay would be offset by the exact amount of compensation they received from the VA. The veteran received the same total compensation as their full retirement pay. However, the spending power was greater because VA disability compensation is tax-exempt.

In 2004, a law called Concurrent Retirement Disability Pay (CRDP) was passed. CRDP allows military retirees to receive both military retirement pay and VA disability compensation if they held a VA disability rating of 50% or greater. This is a substantial increase in compensation for these veterans who are eligible to receive their full military retirement pay and their full VA disability compensation.

But retirees with less than a 50% disability rating were left in the dark regarding receiving greater compensation. While lawmakers didn’t extend the concurrent receipt laws to cover all disability ratings, they did create a similar law for veterans with a “combat related” disability, even if they do not have an overall disability rating of 50%.

In 2008, Congress passed a law called the Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC) (10 U.S. Code § 1413a), which allows military retirees to receive monthly compensation to replace some or all of their VA disability offset if they have a combat-related injury. Let’s take a deeper look at CRSC, what it is, who it affects, and how to apply for this benefit.

Table of Contents
  1. What Is Combat Related Special Compensation?
  2. Combat Related Special Compensation Eligibility
  3. How to Apply for CRSC Benefits
    1. Combat-Related Special Compensation is not automatic
    2. Documentation of Combat-Related Injury is Required
  4. More Info About Combat Related Special Compensation

Combat-Related Special Compensation was created to replace the VA disability offset for service-connected disabilities that are a direct result of combat related injuries, to include injuries that occur during combat or armed conflict, or during combat training, training that simulates war, while performing hazardous duty, or from exposure to an instrumentality of war (such as military combat vehicles, agent orange exposure, etc.).

Combat-Related Special Compensation compensates eligible military retirees that will replace some or all of the VA disability offset. Their military retirement pay will no longer be deducted by the amount of their VA disability compensation. Instead, they will receive their full military retirement pay, and a CRSC payment based on the percentage of their disability rating that is considered combat-related.

It’s important to note that CRSC payments only apply to disabilities that are considered combat related. So it is possible that your CRSC payment can be less than your overall VA disability rating and, thus, less than your VA disability offset. Like VA Disability compensation, CRSC payments are tax-free.

Here are the eligibility requirements, according to DFAS — To qualify for CRSC:

  • You must be entitled to and/or receiving military retired pay (Active or Reserve with 20 years or creditable service; Chapter 61 medically retired with less than 20 years of service; Retired under Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA); or retired under the Temporary Disabled Retirement List (TDRL)).
  • You must have a VA service-connected disability rating of at least 10 percent
  • Your military retirement pay is currently being reduced by your VA disability compensation (VA disability offset)
  • You must file a CRSC application with your Branch of Service

Disabilities that may be considered combat related include injuries incurred as a direct result of:

  • Armed Conflict / Combat: This can include direct or indirect wounds which occurred during armed conflict.
  • Hazardous Duty: This can include activities such as demolition duty, diving, parachuting, aerial flight, and more.
  • An Instrumentality of War: An instrumentality of war is a device such as a weapon or weapon systems specifically designed for military duty or warfare. This can include certain military combat vehicles, vessels, aircraft, or an injury or sickness caused by exposure to fumes, gases, or chemicals. Agent Orange exposure would qualify as an instrumentality of war.
  • Simulated War: This can include activities such as military training, exercises, airborne ops, live fire exercises, hand-to-hand combat training, and more. This does not include standard physical training such as running, jogging, or group sports activities.

Eligibility Based on Service Dates and Back Pay: Anyone can be eligible to receive benefits under CRSC as long as they meet the eligibility requirements. This means it can apply to veterans who retired decades ago, or as recently as a month ago. There is even the possibility of receiving back pay if you are determined to be eligible for this benefit. However, if you retired with full longevity (20 or more years of service), you can only receive back pay as early as June 1, 2003, which was the effective date authorized by Congress. If you were medically retired under Chapter 61 with less than 20 years of service, back pay can only go back to January 2008, which was the effective date for authorizing veterans who retired with a medical retirement.

How to Apply for CRSC Benefits

You will need to apply for these benefits with your respective branch of service. They will assess your claim and determine your eligibility. To apply, you must fill out DD form 2860, along with the required documentation mentioned below, and send it to your respective military branch.

CRSC can be a complicated benefit because each case is unique. As always, it would be a good idea to consider using a Veterans Service Officer to help you with your benefits claims. They are often well-versed in applying for military and veterans benefits, and usually offer free assistance to veterans.

You must be able to show a causal link between your service-connected disability rating and a combat-related event. You will need to provide documentation of your military service, including your Form DD-214 or Form DD-215, military medical records pertaining to your injuries, military personnel files, line of duty determinations, safety mishap (accident) reports, military personnel data system printouts, prior military disability board decisions, casualty reports, official orders or travel vouchers, VA summary letters, or other official documents that can substantiate your claims.

Here is the important thing to remember: your records must clearly show your injury is combat-related.

Here is the contact info for submitting your CRSC claim:

Air Force
CRSC Program Office
550 C Street West, Suite 6
Randolph AFB
TX 78150-4708
Phone: 1-800-525-0102

Department of the Army
U.S. Army Human Resources Command
1600 Spearhead Division Ave
Dept 420
Fort Knox, KY 40122-5402
Phone: 1-866-281-3254
Fax: 1-502-613-9550
Email: [email protected]

Coast Guard
Personnel Service Center
2703 Martin Luther King Jr.
Avenue SE,
Washington, DC 20593-7200
ATTN: CRSC (703) 872-6626

Navy and Marine Corps
Secretary of the Navy Council of Review Boards
Attn: Combat-Related Special Compensation Branch
720 Kennon Street SE, Suite 309
Washington Navy Yard, DC 20374
Fax: 202-685-6610
Email: [email protected]

Here is some additional information about CRSC:

About Post Author

Get Instant Access
FREE Weekly Updates! Enter your information to join our mailing list.

Posted In:

Reader Interactions


    Leave A Comment:


    About the comments on this site:

    These responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

  1. Tanya says


    What is the statutory formula to calculate CRSC? Is there a CRSC calculator on the web somewhere?
    I think it is based upon three disability ratings (DOD, VA, and CRSC), length of service, and high three. I’m not sure where to go from there. Please point me in the right direction to find the CRSC calculator.

    My disability percentages are VA rated at 100%, DOD rated at 100% with v1/v3 yes, and just for computation purposes 100% CRSC (I haven’t applied yet, I just want to get a rough estimate to see if there is any advantage to CRSC over CRDP).
    Also does CRSC pay additional SMC like the VA does?
    My length of active duty service was 22 years and 7 months (including 1405 time) and 26 years 8 months total time in service (including National Guard time).
    I’m not sure how to calculate high three but I was a CW3 for the last 36 months prior to my retirement and I receive $3539.45 from DFAS monthly for retirement.
    My retirement date was 20171127.
    My adjusted BASD is 19960325.
    My PEBD is 19910626.

    Thank you in advance for any help or guidance you can provide.

    • Ryan Guina says

      Hello Tanya,

      Thank you for your question. This is outside my level of expertise. I would contact your branch of service’s main human resources or personnel office or DFAS for further guidance. They will have access to your records and be better able to assist you with your specific questions.

      I wish you the best!

  2. Christopher Moran says

    I was medically retired from the USCG with 12 years of service due to a Stage IV Cancer diagnosis this past year. With medical documentation in my medical record stating that I was exposed to a substance known to cause this disease while I was serving onboard a ship for 2 years, would I be considered eligible for CRSC benefit? I receive 100% rating from VA and was given 100% rating from Military Medical Evaluation Board. However, due to having a medical retirement at 12 years my retirement is currently being offset by VA disability compensation. Thank you for your time and service and I look forward to hearing back from you.

    • Ryan Guina says

      Hello Christopher,

      I’m sorry to hear about your health condition and I hope you are receiving the care you deserve.

      Regarding your question: I believe this would qualify for CRSC, but I’m not 100% certain.

      Chemical exposure can be a qualifying factor when applying for CRSC, provided you can prove the exposure caused the illness (which it appears you may be able to do based on your medical records).

      That said, the actual application process is outside of my area of expertise and is something that would be better to address with a trained benefits claims counselor. Unfortunately, I do not have that type of training and I am not able to offer specific VA disability claims advice.

      The best thing to do is to contact a veterans benefits counselor at the VA, your county VA office, or with a Veterans Service Organization. They have counselors who offer free, individualized claims assistance. They can review your claim, your service periods, medical conditions, and other factors and help you apply for benefits or an upgrade to your current rating. Here are some recommended organizations.

      I wish you the best, and thank you for your service!

  3. Tim Esquibel says

    Is there a CRSC calculator online somewhere? I’ve searched and searched with no luck. If not how do you calculate CRSC.

    Is the below method correct?

    VA disability Pay – retirement pay = offset.

    VA award (same amount as VA pay) – offset = CRSC entitlement.

    Thank you for all your help!!

  4. J.S says


    I currently have a 90% rating.

    However, is brought to my attention when a friend of mine former va worker looked at my disabilities and said I should be 100%?


    I looked at the Va charts at and got 100% as well. Can anyone verify that this is 100%? if so what is the next step to get this corrected?

    • Ryan Guina says

      Hello J.S., I reviewed the numbers and came up with 95, which should round up to 100%. I would contact the VA customer service line and ask them how to proceed. They should be able to help you with this process.

      I wish you the best, and thank you for your service.

  5. Justin R. says

    Does the amount of CRSC change or decrease for someone when their VA percentage increases?

    For example: If someone that is currently VA 80% (with spouse and 4 children) and also receives $1146 CRSC per month currently, and they get an increase because of a 100% VA rating due to Individual Unemployability . Will the CRSC be decreased due to the VA monthly increase?

Load More Comments

The Military Wallet is a property of Three Creeks Media. Neither The Military Wallet nor Three Creeks Media are associated with or endorsed by the U.S. Departments of Defense or Veterans Affairs. The content on The Military Wallet is produced by Three Creeks Media, its partners, affiliates and contractors, any opinions or statements on The Military Wallet should not be attributed to the Dept. of Veterans Affairs, the Dept. of Defense or any governmental entity. If you have questions about Veteran programs offered through or by the Dept. of Veterans Affairs, please visit their website at The content offered on The Military Wallet is for general informational purposes only and may not be relevant to any consumer’s specific situation, this content should not be construed as legal or financial advice. If you have questions of a specific nature consider consulting a financial professional, accountant or attorney to discuss. References to third-party products, rates and offers may change without notice.

Advertising Notice: The Military Wallet and Three Creeks Media, its parent and affiliate companies, may receive compensation through advertising placements on The Military Wallet; For any rankings or lists on this site, The Military Wallet may receive compensation from the companies being ranked and this compensation may affect how, where and in what order products and companies appear in the rankings and lists. If a ranking or list has a company noted to be a “partner” the indicated company is a corporate affiliate of The Military Wallet. No tables, rankings or lists are fully comprehensive and do not include all companies or available products.

Editorial Disclosure: Editorial content on The Military Wallet may include opinions. Any opinions are those of the author alone, and not those of an advertiser to the site nor of  The Military Wallet.