Transitional Compensation for Abused Dependents – Help is Available for Those Who Need It

I recently received a question regarding the taxation transitional compensation for abused dependents.  In researching my answer, I noticed that there is a lot of information on the subject.  However, most of this information seems to be in the form of laws, directives, and instructions, which doesn’t make it user-friendly for the people who might…
Advertising Disclosure.

Advertiser Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone. This article may contain links from our advertisers. For more information, please see our Advertising Policy.

The Military Wallet has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. The Military Wallet and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Some or all of the card offers that appear on The Military Wallet are from advertisers. Compensation may impact how and where card products appear, but does not affect our editors’ opinions or evaluations. The Military Wallet does not include all card companies or all available card offers.

I recently received a question regarding the taxation transitional compensation for abused dependents.  In researching my answer, I noticed that there is a lot of information on the subject.  However, most of this information seems to be in the form of laws, directives, and instructions, which doesn’t make it user-friendly for the people who might need it.  This article is my attempt to make this topic a little less intimidating for the people who might need to take advantage of this program.

This article is written primarily for the mil-spouse who might need to find out more information.  However, it’s also written for the benefit of friends or family members who might be trying to help that mil-spouse, who might not be aware that such a program exists.  Finally, this article is a primer for the accredited financial counselors (AFCs) who might have heard about this program, but are not familiar with the references and instructions.  For AFCs, I’ve listed the DoD & service-specific references throughout this article so you can learn more about how to help your customers through the application process.

This article is not meant to be a comprehensive guide, but merely a starting point to help people get to the right answer.

Introduction:  What is Transitional Compensation for Abused Dependents?

Simply put, transitional compensation for abused dependents (referred to as transitional compensation for the rest of this article) is payment to qualifying spouses & children of servicemembers separated from service or convicted at courts-martial due to ‘dependent-abuse offenses.’

Furthermore, this program allows for commissary & exchange benefits as part of the transition.  Finally, the program allows for limited medical & dental treatment.  Finally, according to the DoD Financial Management Regulation, transitional compensation payments are not taxable.  Transitional compensation recipients should not expect to receive a Form 1099 for tax purposes.  Also, recipients need not report transitional compensation payments on their tax return.


How Much is Transitional Compensation?

According to DoD Policy, transitional compensation for a mil-spouse is at the same rate as defined in 38 U.S. Code §1311 – Dependency & Indemnity Compensation to a Surviving Spouse.  There is also an additional amount for children under this section.  For children without a mil-spouse parent, the amount is the same as the rate defined in 38 U.S. Code §1313 – Dependency & Indemnity Compensation to Children.  You can find annual updates to these payments on the DoD Comptroller’s website.


How Long Does Transitional Compensation Last?

According to DoD policy, transitional compensation does not last more than 36 months.  The policy also describes situations in which it would last less than 36 months.  These include:

  • Situations in which the servicemember’s obligated service (enlistment for enlisted personnel) is less than 36 months
  • Qualifying offense is remitted or reduced to a lesser, non-qualifying offense
  • Disapproval of administrative separation by competent authority

There are also forfeiture provisions.  These include:

  • Remarriage
  • Cohabitation (living with the servicemember who was separated)
  • Being an active participant in abusive behavior

Because of these situations, it is important to become familiar with the DoD Policy as well as service-specific guidelines, outlined later in this article.


How do I know if I’m eligible?

Many people who are eligible for transitional compensation may not know whether they’re eligible.  If you believe that you’re in a situation that might qualify, the first thing you should do is set up an appointment with your installation’s financial counselor, chaplain or legal office.

If you aren’t close to an installation or cannot find someone on your installation to assist,   please contact They have trained counselors who can assist you with a variety of needs. Please take care of yourself and your family. All it takes is a phone call or online chat to start the process.

How do I apply?

This goes hand in hand with the previous question.  If you’re able to set up an appointment with your installation’s financial counselor, chaplain or legal office, they’ll probably be able to help you fill out your Transitional Compensation Application form and get it to the right office.  By service, below are the starting points for you to get more information about claims submission:

  • Army:    Installation Family Advocacy Program (FAP) Manager or victim advocate
  • Navy:     Servicemember’s servicing personnel activity. Installation Fleet & Family Service Center (per the Navy Instruction, but assume this means Fleet & Family Support Centers)
  • Air Force:  Installation Military Personnel Flight
  • Marines:  Installation Family Advocacy Program (FAP) Manager
  • Coast Guard:  Family Advocacy Program Manager office


Transitional compensation isn’t just a DOD policy, it’s codified by U.S. Law.  10 U.S. Code §1059 authorizes the Secretary of Defense to establish a program to pay monthly transitional compensation to abused dependents.  DoD Instruction 1342.24, “Transitional Compensation for Abused Dependents,” further clarifies this as a matter of DOD policy.  Also, each service has its own policy:


Transitional Compensation is a very important program for those family members who need assistance.  While the DoD & services have done a great job implementing this program, it appears that many dependents may be unaware that:

  • Transitional compensation exists for their benefit
  • What benefits are included
  • How to apply for transitional compensation
  • Who to talk to

Although this article might help close some of the gaps, the most important aspect is getting access to the right office & resources.  To that point, please feel free to share this article.

About Post Author

Get Instant Access
FREE Weekly Updates! Enter your information to join our mailing list.

Reader Interactions


    Leave A Comment:


    About the comments on this site:

    These responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

  1. cmorita says

    I work with the Family Advocacy Program. A good resource to get help with Transitional Compensation (TC) is to contact the individual service Family Advocacy Victim Advocate (24/7 Hotlines) or the SJA Victim Witness Liaison.

    All services also now provide 36 months of TC. Also you may be able to apply for “exception” TC if the service member was separated for other reasons, but there was domestic violence, i.e. service member was separated for a substance abuse but there was also reports of domestic violence.

    There is a lot of nuances to TC. The best thing to do is to connect them to a victim advocate, so they can explain the benefits and the resources that may be available to them.

    • chw says

      I have a huge question. How do you know if your application has been approved or denied? and how long does it usually take?

The Military Wallet is a property of Three Creeks Media. Neither The Military Wallet nor Three Creeks Media are associated with or endorsed by the U.S. Departments of Defense or Veterans Affairs. The content on The Military Wallet is produced by Three Creeks Media, its partners, affiliates and contractors, any opinions or statements on The Military Wallet should not be attributed to the Dept. of Veterans Affairs, the Dept. of Defense or any governmental entity. If you have questions about Veteran programs offered through or by the Dept. of Veterans Affairs, please visit their website at The content offered on The Military Wallet is for general informational purposes only and may not be relevant to any consumer’s specific situation, this content should not be construed as legal or financial advice. If you have questions of a specific nature consider consulting a financial professional, accountant or attorney to discuss. References to third-party products, rates and offers may change without notice.

Advertising Notice: The Military Wallet and Three Creeks Media, its parent and affiliate companies, may receive compensation through advertising placements on The Military Wallet; For any rankings or lists on this site, The Military Wallet may receive compensation from the companies being ranked and this compensation may affect how, where and in what order products and companies appear in the rankings and lists. If a ranking or list has a company noted to be a “partner” the indicated company is a corporate affiliate of The Military Wallet. No tables, rankings or lists are fully comprehensive and do not include all companies or available products.

Editorial Disclosure: Editorial content on The Military Wallet may include opinions. Any opinions are those of the author alone, and not those of an advertiser to the site nor of  The Military Wallet.