TRICARE, Vehicle Insurance, and Uninsured Motorists

Does Tricare cover injuries caused by uninsured motorists? The answer may surprise you. This article covers what you need to know if you are in a vehicle accident.
Advertising Disclosure.

Advertiser Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone. This article may contain links from our advertisers. For more information, please see our Advertising Policy.

The Military Wallet has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. The Military Wallet and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Some or all of the card offers that appear on The Military Wallet are from advertisers. Compensation may impact how and where card products appear, but does not affect our editors’ opinions or evaluations. The Military Wallet does not include all card companies or all available card offers.

tricare vehicle insurance uninsured
Table of Contents
  1. Does TRICARE Cover Car Insurance?
  2. My Experience with TRICARE Car Insurance
  3. What TRICARE Doesn’t Cover
  4. Do I Need Uninsured Motorist Coverage if I Have TRICARE?.
  5. Is it Worth it to get Uninsured Motorist Coverage?

I’ve enjoyed military retirement for over 10 years, and in that time I’ve been lucky enough to be mostly ignorant of my Tricare Prime benefits. I found a good civilian clinic for my primary care manager (just a couple of miles from our house), and I’ve only visited once or twice a year for the usual respiratory infections or knee injuries or immunizations. No complaints.

I’d always assumed that Tricare would cover your medical insurance. I knew from shipmates’ stories that if you woke up with appendicitis, Tricare would cover the operation and recovery. I knew that if you fell off a ladder and fractured a bone, Tricare would cover the ambulance ride and the surgery and the physical therapy.

But I haven’t had a fender-bender for over three decades. I recently learned that if you’re injured in a vehicle accident then Tricare coverage isn’t so simple anymore.

Does TRICARE Cover Car Insurance?

The Federal Medical Recovery Act allows TRICARE to be reimbursed for its costs of treating you if you are injured in an accident that was caused by someone else. If a hospital tries to tell you that they won’t or can’t submit your medical bills to TRICARE because your injuries happened in a car accident, that’s not true.

There are several things service members need to know.

Your regional contractor will send you the Statement of Personal Injury-Possible Third Party Liability (DD Form 2527) if a claim is received that appears to have third-party liability involvement. You must complete and sign this form within 35 calendar days. 

Follow the directions from your regional contractor to return the form to the your claims processor. If needed, you can get a “Proof of Insurance” letter here

TRICARE doesn’t exclude cost-sharing based on the source of an injury. 

TRICARE is not considered first-party coverage for car accidents. TRICARE will pay your medical bills, but if you file a personal injury claim and receive a settlement from the at-fault party’s insurance, TRICARE will ask to be reimbursed from the settlement for everything they paid in what is known as a medical lien. The lien amount is automatically deducted from your settlement and sent to them by your lawyer.

It helps to have a lawyer who is familiar with preparing claims for military members. They may be able to negotiate with TRICARE to only take up to the at-fault driver’s insurance policy limits.

Also, it’s against the law for personal injury lawyers to collect their fee from the portion of the settlement paid to TRICARE.

My Experience with TRICARE Car Insurance

I started to learn this when a neighbor’s car was rear-ended during her commute. (The other driver was at fault.) She seemed all right, but she was shaken up so the EMTs took her to the hospital for more tests. She said and did all the right things, so there were no legal issues. She took painkillers for a couple of days and had several physical therapy sessions. (She’s fine now, and her car has been fixed too. No problems.) I helped her fill out the insurance claims paperwork for her car, and USAA wanted to know about doctors and emergency rooms and physical therapy.

As expected, during the week after her accident the medical bills started rolling in. She let everyone know that she had insurance with USAA and Tricare, and the billing agents were happy.

Much to my surprise, the following week she received a letter from Tricare telling her that they would not pay her medical expenses. She didn’t understand why, and I didn’t either.

So I finally did something that strikes fear & trembling into the hearts of all U.S. military veterans and their spouses: I called the Tricare “customer service” line at TriWest. It actually went a lot better than I expected. I didn’t even spend any time on hold, which seems most unusual.

I decided to go for the worst-case situation, so I asked them: if I was disabled in a vehicle accident caused by the other driver’s fault, and I carried only the minimum state-required insurance, and the other driver had no insurance, would Tricare still cover me? What about my family? What about lifetime care if I was an invalid?

The woman in the Benefits section kept breaking into my questions to make comforting noises and to reassure me that Tricare would take care of me. I guess that’s part of her job, but the only problem was that she couldn’t answer the question. She kept telling me (in between reassurances) that it would be an insurance issue. She kept telling me that the other driver was required by law to have insurance. I kept trying to clarify that the question assumed the other driver had no insurance. She kept telling me that I should really have more insurance to protect myself. Then she told me I should have long-term care insurance too. This was not comforting.

She politely decided to get rid of me by passing me to Claims. (I supported that.) The Claims branch was all over it. The representative understood my questions but answered them in her own way. She told me that for vehicle accidents, Tricare is not first-party coverage.

The vehicle insurance companies would sort out their claims first (if both sides had auto insurance). Then the state would step in with personal injury coverage (whatever limit was on the policy). If the other driver didn’t have insurance then I could be protected by Uninsured Motorist/Underinsured Motorist coverage. Whether or not I had UM/UIM insurance, my auto insurance company would pursue the at-fault driver for whatever they could get.

Finally, if I was confronting disability, Tricare would see if I qualified for Medicare benefits. If so then Medicare would step in and Tricare would be second payer under Tricare For Life. If nobody else was required to pay anything further for my medical care, then Tricare would step up as the payer of last resort.

They’d only pay for medical issues, and frankly it seemed like a fuzzy line between medical expenses and long-term care expenses. Bottom line, however, was that Tricare would pay for any remaining medical expenses– but only after everyone else had finished paying their part. Underpayment for injury claims has been a problem in some parts of the insurance industry, so I was glad to learn that Tricare would backstop us.

Keep in mind that I might have other expenses. If I was still working and wanted to replace my employment income, then I’d need disability insurance. The Veteran’s Administration might cover some of my disability or long-term care expenses, or I’d have to pay out of my pension & savings. (I’m still relatively ignorant of VA coverage.) If I needed long-term care for my activities of daily living, then I’d need long-term care insurance.

If a family member was injured in the accident, then the same process would be followed– as long as that family member was also covered under Tricare. My vehicle insurance company would pay for any of my passengers– up to our policy limits.

Everything worked out fine for our neighbor. USAA is very good at member service and she hasn’t had to worry about any of the medical bills. But this incident made me take a look at our own insurance coverage.

Triwest’s answers raised an interesting question for the Ohana Nords insurance plan. Nearly two decades ago, when our college student was a toddler, we bought a huge amount of UM/UIM insurance coverage. The idea was that it would cover her expenses if she was disabled in a vehicle accident and needed lifetime care.

However, last month she bought her own car and she insured it under her own name. She was no longer on our USAA policy, so hypothetically we no longer needed to carry UM/UIM insurance. This “hypothetical” question is costing us over $220/year. (We may be financially independent, but researching these questions is how we got there.) So I called USAA.

Of course I’m a little cynical about asking an insurance company if I need more insurance. I ended up speaking to one of USAA’s experts who understands both the financial-planning issues and insurance-coverage issues. One of USAA’s challenges at answering this question is that the laws vary by state, and each member’s specific insurance policy may have different types of coverage. It’s not easy to just spit out a blanket answer like “You should have lots of UM/UIM insurance, thanks for calling!”

At the national level, he said that USAA has no problems working with Tricare. He said that UM/UIM coverage is set up for vehicle passengers (guests who might not have Tricare) as well as for drivers and family members. He agreed that in Hawaii, if my spouse and I did not have UM/UIM insurance, then after USAA and the state were finished, any remaining medical expenses would be covered by Tricare. We’d still be on the hook for the non-medical aspects of long-term care, and we still might need long-term care insurance, but Tricare (and Medicare if necessary) would cover our medical needs.

Not only was that good news, but it also matched what we learned from TriWest.

In the end, we decided to keep forking out the $220/year for a couple more years. NROTC has kept our young adult pretty busy with summer school and Navy training, and now she’s living off campus in her own year-round apartment, but she’s still staying with us in Hawaii for 4-6 weeks/year. Although she has her own vehicle insurance policy with USAA, they still consider her a “guest driver” of our car. She won’t have her own medical insurance until she’s commissioned and on active duty, and she’ll only have Tricare coverage from us until she turns 23 years old. If she’s a driver or passenger in our car, UM/UIM coverage still gives us the peace of mind today that we sought when she was a toddler.

Otherwise, our driving habits are minimal– my spouse and I are retired on an island that’s only 30×40 miles, with no other family, and we don’t drive very much. We rarely have passengers in our car, either, and the occasional passenger that we do carry is usually an adult with their own insurance. When our daughter has her own active-duty Tricare insurance and she’s off our policy, then we’ll cancel our USAA UM/UIM coverage.

Keep in mind that every state has different laws, and your family situation might be different from ours. However, I finally have a better understanding of Tricare’s coverage and the benefits of UM/UIM insurance. I hope this information helps you decide how to optimize your insurance coverage too!

What TRICARE Doesn’t Cover

Use TRICARE resources to learn what services TRICARE covers and get an idea of how much you’ll pay. You can always check with your provider or TRICARE contractor before you get any service.

In general, TRICARE covers services that are medically necessary. To be medically necessary means it is appropriate, reasonable, and adequate for your condition. and considered proven. You can use the What’s Covered tool on the TRICARE website to search an database of VA health care by keyword or category.

For health care services and supplies, you’ll find information on TRICARE coverage, coverage limits, and exclusions. You can also find links to help you book an appointment, check plan costs, and learn about pre-authorization or referrals.

To learn more about coverage details and costs related to each plan check out the TRICARE Choices in the United States Handbook. If you live overseas, access the TRICARE Overseas Program Handbook.

Depending on your beneficiary category, you may or may not be able to purchase dental insurance. If you’re an active duty service member, you’re covered by active duty dental benefits and your covered dental services depend on which plan you have.

TRICARE benefits also include pharmacy coverage. If you want to learn about prescription drug categories or find the best way to fill your prescriptions, visit You can also refer to the TRICARE Formulary to see which drugs are covered.

To find out more about what mental health services are covered, go here

Do I Need Uninsured Motorist Coverage if I Have TRICARE?.

If you can afford it, experts say you should add uninsured motorist coverage, including property damage coverage. TRICARE auto accident coverage may handle your medical bills, but they most likely will not cover any damage to your vehicle.

If you don’t carry uninsured motorist coverage, you’re responsible for paying out of pocket for damages related to the accident. It’s designed to protect you when an at-fault party doesn’t have insurance.

Is it Worth it to get Uninsured Motorist Coverage?

Let’s keep this answer simple.

And that answer is YES.

Military Guide to Financial Independence

This book provides servicemembers, veterans, and their families with a critical roadmap for becoming financially independent. Topics include:

  • Military pension
  • TSP
  • Tricare Health System
  • & More

About Post Author

Get Instant Access
FREE Weekly Updates! Enter your information to join our mailing list.

Reader Interactions


    Leave A Comment:


    About the comments on this site:

    These responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

  1. Charlene says

    I was been in car accident last 2016, the case has been settled. My question is can I used my tricare insurance? Others told me that it is okay to used my insurance since it’s been settled and I’m doing it on my own now, but my primary doctor (which I never comfortable with him very rude) told me that they can’t check on me because it was car accident. I just want to know.

    • Doug Nordman says

      That’s a good insurance question, Charlene, but without knowing all the details I’d suggest that you talk with your Tricare Regional Office ( ). They can help determine what coverage (if any) would be related to the car accident.

      You might want to choose a new primary care manager as well. You want someone who’ll help educate and reassure you, not someone who’s rude. If you’re not able to find a better primary doctor through Tricare Prime then I’d look into Tricare Standard when you have a qualifying life event or your next opportunity to change your enrollment.

  2. Petty Officer DEE says

    Doug, I came across this article while trying to find the cheapest rate for my car insurance. How does this apply to active duty military?

    • Doug Nordman says

      I’m not sure, Dee. Every state has different insurance laws and what applies to me in Hawaii might be different in your state.

      The servicemember would be covered by military healthcare, but family members might face the same issues of Tricare paying after insurance. UM/UIM coverage might also lead to a settlement which could fund lifetime care for family members who were permanently disabled by the accident.

      I’d suggest following the same process that I did in the post: call your Tricare rep and your insurance company with the questions. You could also talk to an insurance broker (not just a sales agent for one company). The calls will also give you a feeling for the quality of the insurance company’s service, which might factor into your decision of whether the cheapest premium is really the best choice.

      The “good” news is that UM/UIM insurance is relatively inexpensive, and you may decide to carry it just to offer this additional layer of protection against long-term injury.

  3. Allan says

    I was in a car accident, and the other party was at fault. I am retired military, have Tricare Prime, and also have USAA insurance. My accident lawyer says he is holding my settlement because he can not get ahold of Tricare to get a lein letter, for the $2,000.00 that Tricare was billed. He mentioned the words subrogation, recovery, lein, and said that he has to have this letter from them. To clear me and him of any invoices that were paid by Tricare. Lawyer is not sending me a copy of what he needs from Tricare. What do I do?

    Al M

    • Doug Nordman says

      Allan, my first suggestion would be to check any Explanations of Benefits that you’ve received from Tricare in the mail, or in your online account with your manager’s website for your Tricare region.

      You could also talk to the doctor’s office where you were treated for a copy of the bill (documenting the claim to Tricare) and then ask the doctor’s office about obtaining the lien letter.

      If you’re near a military treatment facility then you could ask their Tricare ombudsman (patient representative) for assistance at getting the Tricare document.

      Finally you could phone the Tricare contractor for your region and try to get the lien letter.

      Frankly, from your lawyer’s seeming inability to solve the problem, you might also want to consult a different lawyer.

  4. Tabitha says

    Can I claim my sister in law as a dependent to get her on my tricare? she is bi polar/manic depressant and in Florida she cant get medicaid unless she is disabled? I am 100% disabled and retired and I pay for everything. I had to go and pick her up from NC and she tried to commit suicide and had her in a 72 hr hold mental facility and it provided her with med but she still has episode. She needs help but I cant afford a place to register her in that will keep her longer.

    • Doug Nordman says

      Tabitha, you’ll need to discuss this one with DEERS. Since your sister-in-law is not considered immediate family, they might not deem her eligible to be your dependent. Even if she’s considered your dependent by tax law, she still might not be eligible for Tricare benefits.

      As you probably already know, the IRS allows you to declare someone a dependent on your tax return if you’re paying for at least half of their upkeep. (They’re dependent on you.) For DEERS to consider your SIL your dependent, though, you might have to be her guardian or even adopt her. The best way to parse those requirements would be to visit the personnel office on a military base near you, or contact DEERS directly through the Defense Manpower Data Center at

      A better solution might be your state’s Medicaid office or community mental health facility. If your SIL does not have her own health insurance and doesn’t have the income to support herself then she might be able to obtain health insurance (and treatment) via that system. The mental health facility might figure out a way for her to obtain benefits through the state. But again this is not an easy answer.

  5. Mel M. says

    Another useful post…I’ve been trying to catch up with your posts by going thru the “post titles by month” until I peruse them all…and comment on those posts that I find intriguing, useful (not to imply that not all of them are useful), and feel compelled to post a reply.

    I have much to learn about Tricare as, most active duty folks, specially those with no dependents, do not really look under the Tricare’s hood to see what’s in there. Only now that I am nearing retirement that I am investing some time learning more about Tricare and other health and dental insurance coverages. I hadn’t given much thought to medical coverage stemming from vehicle accidents and the information you’ve provided makes sense. I would be better equipped to handle this issue, if (I hope not when) it comes up.


    • Doug Nordman says

      Thanks for reading through everything, Mel, I appreciate the review! Let me know if anything’s out of date– or just flat incorrect.

      I think the most important factor is choosing a doctor near your home, especially if they’ll call you when they have last-minute cancellations. It’s no fun sitting around the military clinic when you’re a retiree, and when the doctor is close to your home then you don’t have to deal with a long drive.

      The other important factor is remembering to go through your primary care manager for everything, especially referrals. Some of it can be handled after the fact but Tricare Prime is designed to use the PCM for everything. Another good reason to use a civilian doctor instead of an overburdened military treatment facility.

      When you’re a retiree, medications can incur a small copayment. They may still be free of charge through the MTF (or through Tricare’s mail-order pharmacy for maintenance meds), or you may pay a few bucks at a civilian drugstore. Again, when you’re feeling crappy and just want to get back home, it’s sometimes much more convenient to use a local drugstore (and pay the copay) rather than sit outside a MTF’s prescription window for an hour.

  6. Herrah says

    Okay, here’s an added question, thinking about your last comment about not driving much. Even when you don’t drive, you are still in danger of other drivers. My sister-in-law was walking in a parking lot and was hit by a car a few years ago. It was a huge mess, required knee surgery, and since she was pregnant at the time, there was a fear of losing the baby (she didn’t). How would Tricare approach that situation?

    Oh, and thanks for highlighting this. This is not something I would have ever thought about. We’re stationed overseas atm, but will be moving back this summer. I’m going to have to take a serious look at our car insurance when I set it up.

    • Doug Nordman says

      Thanks for your question, Herrah!

      The answer is that Tricare would be the last payer. (Of course your sister-in-law would have to be eligible for Tricare insurance in the first place, either from her own service eligibility or from her Tricare sponsor.) The driver was at fault and would have to pay from their insurance. If (for some reason) the driver didn’t have insurance (or wasn’t identified) then Tricare would pay the medical bills. (Tricare would also attempt to recover damages from the driver.) Depending on the type of Tricare used by your sister-in-law, she’d be responsible for some copayments. The copays would probably be capped at $3000/year.

      Your insurance review is a very good idea. We do it annually by trying to decide what’s changed in our lives (transferred to the Reserves, retired from active duty, launched a kid from the nest, have a higher net worth) and then we discuss it with the insurance company.

      If your vehicle insurance is with USAA then I highly recommend using their website insurance calculator to see the effects of your changes. You can tinker with different types of coverage and different limits to immediately see the quote on the screen. If you’re not with USAA then you could e-mail or fax them a copy of your policy. They’ll figure out your membership eligibility, set you up with a website account, and then walk you through a detailed comparison quote.

  7. Janette says

    Thanks for the heads up. This information is even more important to those of us who are retired, but using our spouse’s coverage.
    One other tid bit about TriCare. If you had/have a job with insurance, and then leave that job, make sure TriCare takes it off the records. I left my job- that provided insurance- about eight years ago. Every time I use the hospital (our #1 reason to move to Kansas was the military hospital), I get a bill. They say that “my insurance” is the first payer. Then I go through the process of submitting, AGAIN, that I no longer have outside insurance.

The Military Wallet is a property of Three Creeks Media. Neither The Military Wallet nor Three Creeks Media are associated with or endorsed by the U.S. Departments of Defense or Veterans Affairs. The content on The Military Wallet is produced by Three Creeks Media, its partners, affiliates and contractors, any opinions or statements on The Military Wallet should not be attributed to the Dept. of Veterans Affairs, the Dept. of Defense or any governmental entity. If you have questions about Veteran programs offered through or by the Dept. of Veterans Affairs, please visit their website at The content offered on The Military Wallet is for general informational purposes only and may not be relevant to any consumer’s specific situation, this content should not be construed as legal or financial advice. If you have questions of a specific nature consider consulting a financial professional, accountant or attorney to discuss. References to third-party products, rates and offers may change without notice.

Advertising Notice: The Military Wallet and Three Creeks Media, its parent and affiliate companies, may receive compensation through advertising placements on The Military Wallet; For any rankings or lists on this site, The Military Wallet may receive compensation from the companies being ranked and this compensation may affect how, where and in what order products and companies appear in the rankings and lists. If a ranking or list has a company noted to be a “partner” the indicated company is a corporate affiliate of The Military Wallet. No tables, rankings or lists are fully comprehensive and do not include all companies or available products.

Editorial Disclosure: Editorial content on The Military Wallet may include opinions. Any opinions are those of the author alone, and not those of an advertiser to the site nor of  The Military Wallet.