If you’ve read my article about the advantages of investing in the TSP, then you know that I believe the TSP is a great way for many military members and government employees to invest for retirement. However, there are also several drawbacks to investing in the TSP. Disadvantages to Investing in the TSP I will throw […]
Thrift Savings Plan - Military & Civil Service Retirement Plan - Archives
The Thrift Savings Plan is the government and military retirement plan, similar to a civilian 401k plan. This Thrift Savings Plan Guide provides a general overview of the Thrift Savings Plan, including how you can start your TSP account, the benefits of the TSP, pros and cons, how to diversify your investments, and much more.
Additional articles you may find helpful (or browse our archives):
- Thrift Savings Plan Basics & Why You Should Participate (Podcast 001).
- How to Manage Your Thrift Savings Plan Account.
- Thrift Savings Plan Contribution Limits & Rules – Deployed Contributions, Agency Match, & More.
- Thrift Savings Plan Lifecycle Funds – What You Need to Know About TSP Target Date Funds.
- Why the TSP Has Enough Diversification for Any Investor.
- What Should You Do with your TSP When You Leave the Service?.
- Thrift Savings Plan Rollover Guide – How to Transfer Your TSP into an IRA – with Instructions for Tax-Exempt Contributions.
Explore our archives for more advanced articles and case studies on managing your TSP account, rolling over your TSP into an IRA, or converting your Thrift Savings Plan into a Roth IRA.
The Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) has a feature that allows its members to withdraw money during a financial emergency. While this can be helpful in a tight situation, it is not a decision to take lightly. When money is taken out early, it cannot be replaced into the TSP and you will lose out on […]
The TSP is a retirement savings program for civilians and members of the armed forces who are employed by the United States Federal Government. The TSP is very similar to a 401(k) plan in many ways. They are similar because they are both employee sponsored and they are both defined contribution plans and tax deferred […]
Investing for your retirement is one of the most important actions you can do for your financial health. Even if you receive a military pension, it will not likely be enough for you to retire in style. That is why it is important to invest for your retirement now. This should help federal government workers […]