The card_name is a solid option for those credit cardholders looking to optimize their lifestyle, particularly if you are a service member with a demanding schedule.
However, with a annual_fees annual fee and travel benefits that are reasonable but not stellar, there may be better choices available.
Here’s what you should know if you’re considering adding this card to your wallet.
Mastercard Black Card Overview
The card_name is a physically beautiful card made out of a patented black PVD coast metal weighing 22 grams. It looks like a high-end card which is a nice perk for some cardholders.
However, a annual_fees annual fee and an additional $195 for other authorized users are high for what you get in return. As a travel benefits card, you’ll get a 2% value for airfare redemptions and a suite of benefits connected to Mastercard’s Luxury Card program.
You also get one point per dollar spent on all other purchases. The drawback is that while other similar luxury cards let you transfer points to several airlines and hotel partners, that’s not the case with the Mastercard Black Card.
The Black Card includes enrollment in Priority Pass Select with access to 1,300+ airport lounges worldwide with no guest limit and credits at select airport restaurants for the cardholder and one guest.
Zero foreign transaction fees and up to $1,000 cell phone protection plus a 0% introductory APR for the first 15 billing cycles on balance transfers made in the first 45 days after account opening are also solid incentives (the rate is reg_apr,reg_apr_type after the intro period). After the introductory offer expires, there is a balance transfer fee of balance_transfer_fees
You’ll also get up to a $100 application fee credit for the cost of TSA Precheck or Global Entry enrollment and up to $100 in statement credits toward flight-related purchases, including airline tickets, baggage fees, upgrades, and more.
There is no new cardholder introductory offer, but cardholders will enjoy an anniversary bonus.
24/7 Luxury Card Concierge®—available by phone, email, and live mobile chat. Around-the-clock service to help you save time and manage tasks big and small.
Exclusive Luxury Card Travel® benefits—average value of $500 per stay (e.g., resort credits, room upgrades, free wifi, breakfast for two and more) at over 3,000 properties.
How Military Members Can Benefit From Using the Mastercard Black Card
The Mastercard Black Card is targeted at a luxury audience, so the perks for service members on a limited budget are lacking. However, the card does offer a 0% foreign transaction fee, a great benefit for those stationed abroad.
That applies whether it’s a purchase at a physical location in a foreign country or an online transaction through an internationally-based merchant.
Another excellent benefit is an application credit for Global Entry and TSA Pre-check services that feature expedited domestic security screening at participating airports in the United States.
The Luxury Card Concierge assists service members with travel bookings, personal requests, and more which can come in handy if you have family members who travel a lot. It is available 24/7 with no hidden fees.
Under the Military Lending Act, service members receive waived annual and other fees (except late fees and insufficient fund fees). In addition, the Military Annual Percentage Rate (MAPR) must not exceed 36%, and any introductory promotional interest rates must be honored.
Mastercard Black Card Benefits & Perks
The Mastercard Black Card offers several benefits individually and as part of the larger Mastercard family of products.
- Elite travelers looking to make a statement will do just that when they present the Black Card showcasing a patented black PVD metal design, laser engraving, and heavy metal construction.
- Users enjoy a 2% value for airfare redemptions and a 1.5% value for cash-back redemptions while also earning 1% for all purchases made using the card.
- 24/7 Luxury Card Concierge is available to help cardmembers manage their hectic lives. Get assistance for travel bookings, once-in-a-lifetime experiences, or even smaller perks such as arranging an emergency Tylenol delivery in the middle of the night. It is available by phone, email, and live mobile chat.
- Luxury Card is accepted by eight million domestic retailers and is part of an operating network in more than 210 countries and territories.
- Up to $100 annual airline statement credit.
- $100 Global Entry or TSA Precheck credit.
- 0% foreign transaction fee.
- Membership in Priority Pass Select with access to 1,300+ airport lounges worldwide with no guest limit and credits at select airport restaurants for the cardholder and one guest.
- Hotel, air, and car rental perks include trip cancellation and interruption insurance of up to $5,000 per insured person, car rental, baggage delay, and lost luggage insurance.
- Access to the VIP travel program offers spa treatments, room upgrades, complimentary breakfast, and early check-in and checkout at 3,000+ properties.
- Up to $250,000 in coverage for common carriage-related death or dismemberment.
- Purchase protection and refund price difference guarantees.
- Extended warranty, zero fraud liability protections.
- Up to a $100 annual credit for airline expenses, including airfare, baggage fees, lounge access, and in-flight purchases.
- Coverage for cell phone damage and theft.
- Earn a $10 Lyft credit by taking five rides in a month.
- Membership in Mastercard Priceless lets cardholders enjoy exclusive invites to events, including sports, concerts, shopping, culinary experiences, art, and more.
- Luxury Card Gifting and Mastercard partner programs feature discounts from Garde Robe, YogaToday, Jacob & Co, Postmates, and more than 100 other online retailers.
- Members-Only LUXURY MAGAZINE.
- Mastercard ID Theft Protection benefits to help replace your card and notify credit agencies if you are a victim of identity theft.
- Receive a $5 Fandango Reward every time you spend $20 on movie tickets with Fandango or stream movies or TV shows on Fandango’s home entertainment streaming service using your Luxury Card.
- reg_apr,reg_apr_type APR on purchases.
- Balance transfers have a balance_transfer_intro_apr,balance_transfer_intro_duration
Priceless Golf gives you exclusive golf offers and experiences with the PGA Tour. Meet the Mastercard Golf Ambassadors, get Priceless tips and instructions from golf professionals, access the Tournament Players Club (TPC) network of private club courses, walk inside the ropes with the pros, or join an official Pro-Am event. Includes access to over 1,000 luxurious private country clubs across North America.
Mastercard Black Card Limits
As a high-end card, the minimum credit limit for cardholders is $5,000. It’s not stated, but there is anecdotal evidence from cardholders that you may be able to get a credit limit of as high as $100,000 if you qualify.
Mastercard Black Card Rates and Fees
annual_fees annual fee, plus $195 for each authorized user added to the account.
reg_apr,reg_apr_type APR. There is no introductory APR benefit for this card.
The cash advance fee is cash_advance_fee
Foreign Purchase Transaction Fee: 0% foreign transaction fees.
2% bonus for airfare redemptions. 1% for general purchases with a 1.5% bonus for cash-back redemptions.
Earning Rewards with the Mastercard Black Card
The Mastercard Black earns 1 point per dollar spent on all purchases with no cap. Points don’t expire as long as the account remains open and in good standing.
Redeeming Rewards with the Mastercard Black Card
Points earned with the Mastercard Black can be redeemed as a statement credit or deposit at a rate of 2% value for airfare redemptions and 1.5% value for cash-back redemptions.
For example, with 2% on airfare redemptions, you can get a $1,000 ticket on the airline of your choice when you earn 50,000 points.
Points cannot be redeemed when an account is past due and may be forfeited for various terms and conditions violations (i.e., fraudulent activity, etc.)
While there are no travel partners, the Mastercard Black Card offers flexible redemption options in other ways. Cardholders can redeem points for various rewards, including travel, merchandise, gift cards, and experiences.
Points can be used to cover a portion of the purchase, with a low threshold of 50 points for travel rewards. There are no blackout dates or redemptions on travel rewards.
However, cardholders can purchase travel from sources outside the Luxury Card rewards program and redeem their points as statement credits at a 1.5% rate.
Applying for the Mastercard Black Card
The Mastercard Black Card requirements for approval include a credit score of 700 or above. Additionally, you must be a U.S. resident and at least 18 years old. Mastercard doesn’t publish specific income requirements, but you must demonstrate enough income to afford the hefty annual fee and monthly bill payments.
Your credit history, current credit mix, and any potential debts you might have will also be taken into account as part of the approval process.
Mastercard Black Card vs. Other Cards for Military Members
This is how the Mastercard Black Card stacks up against other similar cards offering travel-related perks.
|annual_fees annual fee plus $195 for each additional user||annual_fees annual fee plus $75 for each additional user||annual_fees annual fee|
|2 points per dollar for airfare redemptions and 1 point per dollar for all other cash-back redemptions, auto rental collision waiver, baggage delay insurance, cellphone protection, travel accident insurance, travel assistance services, and trip cancellation and interruption insurance.||5 points per dollar on flights and 10 points per dollar on hotels and car rentals when purchasing travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards immediately after the first $300 is spent on travel purchases annually. Earn 3 points per dollar on other travel and dining and 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.||5 points per dollar Membership Rewards Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel and 5 points per dollar in Membership Rewards Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel, plus purchase protection, rental car insurance, global assist hotline, extended warranty coverage, platinum concierge|
|No sign-up bonus||bonus_miles_full||bonus_miles_full|
|700 or above FICO score for approval, plus other factors||700 or above FICO score for approval, plus other factors||690 or above FICO score for approval, plus other factors|
|Learn More||Learn More||Learn More|
Is the Mastercard Black Card Worth It?
While the Mastercard Black Card touts itself as a card for luxury users, the benefits are solid but don’t necessarily stand out when compared to similar offerings. A high annual fee and solid but not spectacular cash-back and redemption rates are respectable at best.
A 0% foreign transaction fee is a nice perk for service members stationed overseas, and the 0% introductory APR on balance transfers can be advantageous when used correctly.
Service members should weigh this card carefully and compare it to others before deciding if it is the right choice for them. Pairing this card with a higher flat-rate cash-back card might make more sense.