VA Loan Eligibility for Members of the National Guard and Reserves

Members of the National Guard, Air National Guard and reserves must meet special VA loan eligibility requirements before they can use the VA loan to buy a home. However, there is much more to qualifying for a VA loan than simply being eligible. Let’s look at the VA loan eligibility requirements, including the necessary forms…
Advertising Disclosure.

Advertiser Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone. This article may contain links from our advertisers. For more information, please see our Advertising Policy.

The Military Wallet has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. The Military Wallet and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Some or all of the card offers that appear on The Military Wallet are from advertisers. Compensation may impact how and where card products appear, but does not affect our editors’ opinions or evaluations. The Military Wallet does not include all card companies or all available card offers.

Members of the National Guard, Air National Guard and reserves must meet special VA loan eligibility requirements before they can use the VA loan to buy a home. However, there is much more to qualifying for a VA loan than simply being eligible. Let’s look at the VA loan eligibility requirements, including the necessary forms and paperwork you will need before you can apply for a VA loan.

VA Loan Requirements for National Guard and Reserves

National Guard and Reserves VA Loan Eligibility

Current or former members of the National Guard, Air National Guard and reserves are eligible to apply for VA loans if they meet one of the following:

  • Served at least 90 consecutive days on active duty during wartime
  • Served at least 181 consecutive days on active duty during peacetime
  • Completed six years of in-service time (“good years”) with their Guard or reserve unit

Note: These requirements only make you eligible to apply for a VA loan; they do not guarantee your loan will be approved. You still must meet the financial requirements set by the lender.

Proof of Service for Guard and Reserve

After meeting minimum service requirements for VA loan eligibility, you must provide the VA with proof of service to acquire a Certificate of Eligibility, which the VA will furnish to the lender.

Members of the Guard and reserves who have active-duty time should receive a DD Form 214 when they were transitioned back. Your DD Form 214 should state the total number of days they served on active duty. Here are instructions for getting a copy of your DD 214 if you do not currently have one.

Statement of Service

If you are currently serving on active duty, you can also submit a Statement of Service signed by your unit commander, their adjutant or a personnel officer.

A Statement of Service must include the following information:

  • Full name
  • Date of birth
  • Social Security Number
  • Date entered into military service
  • Total number of creditable years of service (also known in the Guard and reserves as “good years”)
  • Duration of lost time
  • Unit command information, including name, location and contact information

Documents for Discharged Members of the Guard and Reserves

If you do not meet requirements for time served on active duty and are no longer in the Guard or reserves, send copies of your separation paperwork or other accepted forms. These include:

  • National Guard: NGB Form 22, Report of Separation and Record of Service for each period of National Guard service or NGB Form 23, Retirement Points Accounting and proof of the character of service
  • Reserves: Copy of your latest annual retirement points statement and evidence of honorable service

Once you submit your proof of service, the VA will provide your Certificate of Eligibility.

Certificate of Eligibility for National Guard or Reserves

A Certificate of Eligibility (COE) is a requirement for every VA loan application. Lenders who have access to the VA Web LGY system can obtain and process these forms for you in a few minutes. However, if the VA does not have all your records in their system, you can obtain your COE through one of these methods:

The turnaround time for a manual request can be anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of weeks. The VA can often rush a COE if you have the proper documentation.

Eligibility Does Not Guarantee a Loan

Meeting VA loan criteria establishes your eligibility to apply for a VA loan, but it does not guarantee approval. Lenders look at multiple factors before approving loans, including income, credit score and debt-to-income ratio. We cover these topics in the following article about getting approved for a VA loan.

If you are planning to buy a home with a VA loan, check out our VA loan interest rate page, which lists current interest rates from various lenders. It will give you an idea about current interest rates in your area.

Equal Housing Opportunity

Equal Housing Opportunity. The Department of Veterans Affairs affirmatively administers the VA Home Loan Program by assuring that all Veterans are given an equal opportunity to buy homes with VA assistance. Federal law requires all VA Home Loan Program participants – builders, brokers, and lenders offering housing for sale with VA financing – must comply with Fair Housing Laws and may not discriminate based on the race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin of the Veteran.

About Post Author

Get Instant Access
FREE Weekly Updates! Enter your information to join our mailing list.

Posted In:

Reader Interactions


    Leave A Comment:


    About the comments on this site:

    These responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

  1. David Sayles says

    I am going through this nightmare right now, My wife and I both served in the Reserves during the 90’s we both filled out commitments and were honorably discharged. We didn’t get monthly or yearly statements on our points and service back then, and even they did provide that…how realistic is it that a 25 yr old will keep those records?

    The VA is asking for documentation of my service. I requested all the DOD has on file, and of course what the VA wants isn’t in there. I am at a loss as to how I can access my available benefits beyond a VA id card or VET on my driver’s license which obviously don’t help with getting the COE.

    • Ryan Guina says

      Hello David,

      I don’t have a firm answer here, other than to contact your branch of the military, or the National Archives. The National Archives should maintain service records. You might also be able to contact DFAS to see if they have copies of old pay records, which could be parsed to show a member’s service dates. Beyond that, I’m not sure what you can do.

      I wish you the best, and thank you for your service!

Load More Comments

The Military Wallet is a property of Three Creeks Media. Neither The Military Wallet nor Three Creeks Media are associated with or endorsed by the U.S. Departments of Defense or Veterans Affairs. The content on The Military Wallet is produced by Three Creeks Media, its partners, affiliates and contractors, any opinions or statements on The Military Wallet should not be attributed to the Dept. of Veterans Affairs, the Dept. of Defense or any governmental entity. If you have questions about Veteran programs offered through or by the Dept. of Veterans Affairs, please visit their website at The content offered on The Military Wallet is for general informational purposes only and may not be relevant to any consumer’s specific situation, this content should not be construed as legal or financial advice. If you have questions of a specific nature consider consulting a financial professional, accountant or attorney to discuss. References to third-party products, rates and offers may change without notice.

Advertising Notice: The Military Wallet and Three Creeks Media, its parent and affiliate companies, may receive compensation through advertising placements on The Military Wallet; For any rankings or lists on this site, The Military Wallet may receive compensation from the companies being ranked and this compensation may affect how, where and in what order products and companies appear in the rankings and lists. If a ranking or list has a company noted to be a “partner” the indicated company is a corporate affiliate of The Military Wallet. No tables, rankings or lists are fully comprehensive and do not include all companies or available products.

Editorial Disclosure: Editorial content on The Military Wallet may include opinions. Any opinions are those of the author alone, and not those of an advertiser to the site nor of  The Military Wallet.