VA Service-Connected Disability Compensation Rates

If you were injured or became seriously ill while serving in the military, you may be eligible for certain veterans benefits, including VA disability compensation, which is a benefit paid to certain military veterans based on illnesses or injuries received while serving on active duty. Certain veterans may also be eligible for VA health care benefits.

There are many factors which go into determining compensation eligibility and levels, most of which are outside the scope of this article. Treat this article as a primer for VA disability benefits as we show you the VA’s definition of a service-connected disability, where to apply for benefits, and the current VA disability compensation rate tables, as provided by the VA.

VA Disability Compensation Benefits Pay Rates

Find the updated VA Disability Compensation Benefits Pay Rates

What is a Service Connected Disability?

According to the Department of Veterans Affairs, VA Disability Compensation is:

a benefit paid to a veteran because of injuries or diseases that happened while on active duty, or were made worse by active military service. It is also paid to certain veterans disabled from VA health care. The benefits are tax-free. Source.

If you are considered to have a service-connected disability, then you may be eligible to receive a monthly compensation payment, and under certain circumstances, you may be eligible to receive additional compensation, usually if you have a service-connected rating of 30% or higher and have dependents (spouse, children, and/or parents under your care), if you have missing limbs, or if you have a severely disabled spouse.

Applying for VA Compensation Benefits

Detailed instructions for applying for VA disability benefits are outside the scope of this article, but in general, it is best to supply as much supporting information as possible, including how the injury or illness occurred, any medical treatment you received, current health status, and how your life has been affected by the injury or illness. You will need to fill out VA Form 21-526, Veterans Application for Compensation and/or Pension or apply online using VONAPP. Also be sure to have a copy of your DD Form 214.

VA Disability Ratings Are Not Always Permanent

Many disability ratings are temporary and the VA retains the right to reexamine the disability rating at any time. If they wish to reexamine you, you will receive a Notice of Reexamination letter in the mail which will include a scheduled appointment date. Make sure you attend this appointment or reschedule, as the VA can reduce or terminate your benefits rating if you fail to attend this scheduled appointment. After the VA reexamines your condition(s), they will make a recommendation to increase, decrease, or leave your benefit at its current rating. There are times when your ratings may be protected, based on the type of disability, how long you have held the rating, your age, or other factors. Here is more information about VA Disability Reexaminations and Benefits Reductions.

A Change in Your Family Status Can Change Your VA Disability Payment

Remember to contact the VA whenever you have a change in family status as your rates may change as well.  If you have a 30% disability rating or higher and you are also supporting qualified dependents such as a spouse, child, or parent, you may be eligible to receive a higher VA disability payment. If your disability rating is 20% or lower, changes in your family status should not affect your VA disability payment rates.

The VA will not know when there is a change in your family status, so you will need to inform them immediately when something changes – such as a birth, wedding, a parent moving in with you, divorce, child coming of age, or the death of a qualified dependent. It is always best to inform the VA of a change as soon as possible, however, in some cases you won’t be able to do so until you have more information (such as when a child is born, as you can’t do anything with the VA until your child has received his or her Social Security Number). Keep in mind that the VA will sometimes backdate payments to make up for any shortfalls, or in the case of the loss of an eligible dependent, your payment may decrease. Be sure to contact the VA disability center for more information.

Receive your disability check faster. When you file your disability claim, be sure to give the VA the routing number to your bank so you can enroll in direct deposits. This is faster and more secure – and a requirement as of March 1, 2013. I recommend using a high yield savings account so you can earn more money on any interest that your money earns.

Current VA Disability Compensation Pay Rates

The 2014 VA Disability rates increased by 1.5% on December 1, 2013. If you receive disability payments from the VA, you will see a small raise in your monthly check, starting on January 1, 2014. Increases in VA Service-Connected Disability Rates are tired to the same Cost of Living Adjustments (COLA) the government uses for determining cost of living increases for Social Security recipients, military retirees, and federal civilian retirees. 2014 marks the first year the VA has included amounts above a flat dollar amount. In previous years, the amount was rounded down to the nearest dollar. This change won’t make a huge difference now, but if this policy remains in place, it will compound over time.

You can view the current VA Disability rates here, but for your convenience, we have included them in this article as well.

VA Disability Rating: 10% – 20% (No Dependents) 


VA Disability Rating: 30% – 60% Without Children

Dependent Status30%40%50%60%
Veteran Alone$400.93$577.54$822.15$1,041.39
Veteran with Spouse Only$448.74$641.28$901.83$1,137.01
Veteran with Spouse & One Parent$487.11$692.44$965.78$1,213.74
Veteran with Spouse and Two Parents$525.48$743.60$1,029.73$1,290.47
Veteran with One Parent$439.30$628.70$886.10$1,118.12
Veteran with Two Parents$477.67$679.86$950.05$1,194.85
Additional for A/A spouse (see footnote b)$43.85$58.47$73.08$87.69

VA Disability Rating: 70% – 100% Without Children

Dependent Status70% 80%90%100%
Veteran Alone$1,312.40$1,525.55$1,714.34$2,858.24
Veteran with Spouse Only$1,423.95$1,653.04$1,857.76$3,017.60
Veteran with Spouse & One Parent$1,513.47$1,755.35$1,972.86$3,145.49
Veteran with Spouse and Two Parents$1,602.99 $1,857.66$2,087.96$3,273.38
Veteran with One Parent$1,401.92$1,627.86$1,829.44$2,986.13
Veteran with Two Parents$1,491.44$1,730.17$1,944.54$3,114.02
Additional for A/A spouse (see footnote b)$102.31$116.93$131.55$146.16

VA Disability Rating: 30% – 60% With Children

Dependent Status30%40%50%60%
Veteran with Spouse & Child$483.75$687.97$960.19$1,207.04
Veteran with Child Only$432.90$620.17 $875.54 $1,105.34
Veteran with Spouse, One Parent and Child$522.12$739.13$1,024.14$1,283.77
Veteran with Spouse, Two Parents and Child$560.94$790.29$1,088.09$1,360.50
Veteran with One Parent and Child$471.27$671.33$939.39$1,182.07
Veteran with Two Parents and Child$509.64$722.49$1003.34 $1,258.80
Add for Each Additional Child Under Age 18$23.75$31.67$39.59$47.50
Each Additional Schoolchild Over Age 18 (see footnote a)$76.73$102.31$127.89$153.47
Additional for A/A spouse (see footnote b)$43.85$58.47$73.08$87.69

VA Disability Rating: 70% – 100% With Children

Dependent Status70%80%90%100%
Veteran with Spouse & Child $1,505.66$1,746.41$1,962.81$3,134.32
Veteran with Child Only$1,387.01$1,610.81$1,810.26$2,964.82
Veteran with Spouse, One Parent and Child$1,595.18$1,848.72$2,077.91$3,262.21
Veteran with Spouse, Two Parents and Child$1,684.70$1,951.03 $2,193.01$3,390.10
Veteran with One Parent and Child$1,476.53$1,713.12$1,925.36$3,092.71
Veteran with Two Parents and Child$1,566.05$1,815.43$2,040.46$3,220.60
Add for Each Additional Child Under Age 18$55.42$63.34$71.25$79.17
Each Additional Schoolchild Over Age 18 (see footnote a)$179.05$204.62$230.30$255.78
Additional for A/A spouse (see footnote b)$102.31$116.93$131.55$146.16

If you have specific VA benefits related questions, it is always best to call or visit your regional VA medical center, as they will be able to access your file and answer your specific questions.

Print Friendly
Date published: December 14, 2013. Last updated: April 2, 2014.

Article by

Ryan Guina is the founder and editor of this site. He is a writer, small business owner, and entrepreneur. He served over 6 years in the USAF and also writes about money management, small business, and career topics at Cash Money Life. You can also see his profile on Google


  1. I’m active duty, and I have been given my ratings. I received a 100% va and 70% Army but due to the fact that I do not have 20 yrs of service I’m only entitled to one check. I thought This was a crock but what do you do?

    I was wondering what paper do I need to submit for the no home tax? Being that my income is about to be really tight I want to prepare for it now. I asked my PEBLO she claims to be unaware of who to go to.

  2. William schmitt says:

    I got out of the army in 2007 and have a disability rating of 40%. I just got married and need good insurance for the family and we are expecting to have a child in 7 months. Is there anything the military can do for me now or the va or am I on my own. Would like to find out anything I can. Thanks for reading

  3. You a should be able to use tricare for you and your family. I’m 70% service conected, and I use the VA for me and tricare for my family. I’m not sure what the stipulations are for it, but contact tricare for your region for more information.

  4. You will have to contact the VA office near you, or the one that you will be using. Based on your percentages, you should qualify for monthly compensation. Although you should know that the VA takes forever to file your claim. But on the plus side, everything will be back paid from the date you started the claim. Or the date you are to start collecting benefits.

  5. Can I apply for disability compensation if I did not have a service connected disability? I am having back and shoulder issues due to my service. Can I get a rating depending on the severity of the injuries?

  6. Charles Walker says:

    It does NOT make sense! Why is 50% $901.83, when 100% is $3,107.00? In all fairiness 50% should be around $1,500 a month. Please explain why?

    • Charles, The rates are determined by the VA. They are supposed to represent how the disability impacts your ability to work. If someone is 10% disabled, they can, for the most part, continue to perform work duties in some capacity. Each higher rating decreases one’s ability to work to a greater degree (in theory). I’m not going to debate any particular situation – some people have high disability ratings and can continue to perform various jobs, while others with a lower rating may have difficulty performing even small tasks. All I’m doing is explaining how the numbers work.

      If you feel your VA disability rating is in error, then I encourage you to seek an increase. You can file an appeal with the VA. There are even Veterans Service Organizations that will help you appeal your rating free of charge. I hope this is helpful in understanding how it works.

  7. Whitney mccoy says:

    I was just wondering how I make sure all my information is correct so they know who to contact when I start getting my 10% disability.

    • Whitney, Try contacting your regional VA office and request to update your information on file, to include your address and phone number. When your claim is complete, you will receive an award letter from the VA indicating your service-connected disability level and which benefits you should be eligible to receive. You will also want to provide the VA with a bank account and routing number so your disability compensation can be automatically deposited into your bank account. Should you receive a service connected disability rating and receive compensation, you will receive back pay back to the effective date of your claim.That could be the date you filed your claim, or back to the date you separated from the military, depending on when your claim was filed and other factors.

  8. veterans speak says:

    Is it possible for a veteran to receive 100% disability compensation and still work a full-time job?

Speak Your Mind