Zero Down Home Loan Eligibility

Transitional Assistance Management Program (TAMP) – Health Care When Leaving the Service

Transitioning from the military to the civilian world can be a stressful time, and the last thing you want to worry about is health care coverage for you and your family. That is why the military offers two health care programs to help transitioning military members maintain high-quality health care coverage when they leave the…
Advertising Disclosure.

Advertiser Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone. This article may contain links from our advertisers. For more information, please see our Advertising Policy.

default image

Transitioning from the military to the civilian world can be a stressful time, and the last thing you want to worry about is health care coverage for you and your family.

That is why the military offers two health care programs to help transitioning military members maintain high-quality health care coverage when they leave the military.

The first program is the Transitional Assistance Management Program (TAMP), which we will cover in this article, and the other is the Continued Health Care Benefit Program (CHCBP), which we will cover in a separate article.

Transitional Assistance Management Program (TAMP)

The Transitional Assistance Management Program (TAMP) is a short term medical care program that offers 180 days of health care benefits to military members and their families when they separate from the uniformed services.

These benefits are designed to help military members and their families who are transitioning from the military on short notice or involuntarily (see separation requirements below).

This program offers 6 months of coverage, which can help bridge the gap in insurance coverage until the member and his family can secure health care coverage through a civilian employer or through an individual health care plan after they leave the service.

Transitional Assistance Management Program Eligibility

Not all servicemembers qualify for TAMP upon separation from active duty status. Qualification is based on the reason for the separation from the military (see below) and requires an Honorable Discharge. You will need to prove your discharge characterization with your Certificate of Release from Active Duty, or DD Form 214.

If you are eligible for TAMP, it should show up in your DEERS profile—contact your base personnel unit or medical office for more information. This program is also not available to those who are serving on terminal leave—you will continue to be covered by Tricare until your official separation date.

Your TAMP benefits period will begin the day after you officially separate from active duty – so it’s important to do your research in advance so you know whether or not you will qualify for the program, and to give you time to apply.

Eligible reasons for separation from the military

This program is designed to help military members who might not have otherwise had time to prepare for the transition to the civilian world, as you can see by reasons for separation listed below. According to, military members are eligible for the TAMP when they separate from the military under the following conditions:

  • Involuntarily separating from active duty under honorable conditions
  • A National Guard or Reserve member separating from a period of active duty that was more than 30 consecutive days in support of a contingency operation
  • Separating from active duty following involuntary retention (stop-loss) in support of a contingency operation
  • Separating from active duty following a voluntary agreement to stay on active duty for less than one year in support of a contingency operation
  • Receiving a sole survivorship discharge
  • Separating from active duty and agree to become a member of the Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve of a Reserve Component.

National Guard and Reserve members who are demobilized after serving less than 30 consecutive days on active duty do not qualify for TAMP.

Options if you do not qualify for the TAMP

There are other health care options that are available if you do not qualify for the Transitional Assistance Management Program. For example, you may still be eligible for the Continued Health Care Benefit Program (CHCBP), which is similar to a civilian COBRA benefits program.

The Continued Health Care Benefit Program offers health insurance for 18-36 months after Tricare eligibility ends and is open to military members and their families, including those who lose Tricare eligibility through divorce, or when children lose eligibility because they get married or become too old.

Certain military veterans may also be eligible for VA health care benefits depending on their status, service record, and other criteria. Here is more information on the VA medical enrollment process.

Members who transition to the Guard or Reserves may be eligible for Tricare Reserve Select, which is an affordable health care option. Finally, we have a list of health care resources for transitioning servicemembers.

TAMP Coverage, Cost, and Enrollment

The Transitional Assistance Management Program does not charge an enrollment fee for qualified servicemembers or their families. Eligible participants can be enrolled in Tricare Prime or Tricare Prime Overseas. If Tricare Prime isn’t available in your area, you will automatically be enrolled in Tricare Select and Extra or Tricare Standard Overseas.

Coverage and cost: Those receiving TAMP benefits will receive the same benefits as active duty members and will be subject to the same rules for that beneficiary category, including any applicable deductibles, cost-shares, and copayments. Transitional Assistance Management Program participants will be issued a DoD ID card displaying their eligibility for 180 days of medical care.

Enrollment: Because you will be leaving the active duty Tricare system, you will need to re-enroll in Tricare under the TAMP qualifications by completing a new enrollment form. It is recommended to complete your enrollment form while on active duty, to ensure a seamless transition. Enrollment is retroactive to your separation date.

More information: If you are separating from the military soon, or believe you may qualify for this program, then contact your personnel department or visit the Tricare site for more information.

Maintaining Your Health Coverage is Essential

Maintaining your health care coverage is important for several reasons—the first of which is the obvious one, to pay for any major medical bills. But another reason many people aren’t aware of is to maintain continuous medical coverage, which is important when you are obtaining a new insurance plan, especially if you are obtaining an individual health care plan or if you have preexisting medical conditions.

Get Instant Access
FREE Weekly Updates! Enter your information to join our mailing list.

About Ryan Guina

Ryan Guina is The Military Wallet's founder. He is a writer, small business owner, and entrepreneur. He served over six years on active duty in the USAF and is a current member of the Illinois Air National Guard.

Ryan started The Military Wallet in 2007 after separating from active duty military service and has been writing about financial, small business, and military benefits topics since then. He also writes about personal finance and investing at Cash Money Life.

Ryan uses Personal Capital to track and manage his finances. Personal Capital is a free software program that allows him to track his net worth, balance his investment portfolio, track his income and expenses, and much more. You can open a free Personal Capital account here.

Featured In: Ryan's writing has been featured in the following publications: Forbes,, US News & World Report, Yahoo Finance, Reserve & National Guard Magazine (print and online editions), Military Influencer Magazine, Cash Money Life, The Military Guide, USAA, Go Banking Rates, and many other publications.

Reader Interactions


    Leave A Comment:


    About the comments on this site:

    These responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

    • Ryan Guina says

      Hello Angie, Does he currently serve in the Marines? If so, he should be able to get you a military dependent ID card at the base ID issuing station.

      If he’s no longer serving in the Marines, he is no longer eligible to shop on base unless he has a 100% VA service-connected disability rating.

      He can call the base pass and ID station for more information.

      I wish you and your family the best.

  1. Jamie peffley says

    This needs to be updated… I have been on the phone multiple times this week with DEERS and TRICARE to have my enrollment completed for TAMP. I am eligible and I’m 36 weeks pregnant. I was told you can’t re-enroll until after you separate and it takes up to one to two weeks for TRICARE to see the eligibility. I have had horrible progress in the matter. If this isn’t true and customer service is lying then that needs to be fixed…. or the website needs to update the information.

    • Natalie says

      I echo this…running into lots of misinformation and dead ends. I am being told to pay out of pocket for health care needs and file reimbursement. This is NOT an acceptable solution. Shame.

The Military Wallet is a property of Three Creeks Media. Neither The Military Wallet nor Three Creeks Media are associated with or endorsed by the U.S. Departments of Defense or Veterans Affairs. The content on The Military Wallet is produced by Three Creeks Media, its partners, affiliates and contractors, any opinions or statements on The Military Wallet should not be attributed to the Dept. of Veterans Affairs, the Dept. of Defense or any governmental entity. If you have questions about Veteran programs offered through or by the Dept. of Veterans Affairs, please visit their website at The content offered on The Military Wallet is for general informational purposes only and may not be relevant to any consumer’s specific situation, this content should not be construed as legal or financial advice. If you have questions of a specific nature consider consulting a financial professional, accountant or attorney to discuss. References to third-party products, rates and offers may change without notice.

Advertising Notice: The Military Wallet and Three Creeks Media, its parent and affiliate companies, may receive compensation through advertising placements on The Military Wallet; For any rankings or lists on this site, The Military Wallet may receive compensation from the companies being ranked and this compensation may affect how, where and in what order products and companies appear in the rankings and lists. If a ranking or list has a company noted to be a “partner” the indicated company is a corporate affiliate of The Military Wallet. No tables, rankings or lists are fully comprehensive and do not include all companies or available products.

Editorial Disclosure: Editorial content on The Military Wallet may include opinions. Any opinions are those of the author alone, and not those of an advertiser to the site nor of  The Military Wallet.