Can You Use a DD Form 256 to Get a DD Form 214?

Some links below are from our sponsors. Here’s how we make money.

Advertiser Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone. This article may contain links from our advertisers. For more information, please see our Advertising Policy.

default image
Military and veterans benefits often vary from person to person. There are many factors that determine which benefits you may be eligible for, including when and where you served, how long you were in the service, and whether your were on active duty or in the Guard or Reserves. Our question today is from a…

DD Form 256Military and veterans benefits often vary from person to person. There are many factors that determine which benefits you may be eligible for, including when and where you served, how long you were in the service, and whether your were on active duty or in the Guard or Reserves. Our question today is from a former Reservist who received a DD Form 256, and wants to know if this can be used to obtain a DD Form 214 in order to qualify for certain Veterans Benefits.

Here is his question:

I am wondering if you have had any experience helping a veteran receive a DD214. I was in the USAFR from January 1967 through January 1973, Honorably Discharged. I received my DD256 but it is not sufficient to qualify for Medical Benefits. The requirement is to have a DD214. My question involves determining if there is a process to now secure a DD214. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks for contacting me. This is a common question among former Guard and Reserve members. Let’s define a couple common military discharge forms to better answer your question.

  • DD Form 214: Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty
  • DD Form 256: Honorable Discharge Certificate
  • DD Form 257: General Discharge Certificate

A DD Form 214 is only issued to servicemembers when they separate from active duty service. This can include active duty for purposes of initial training (basic training plus AIT / Tech school), even if the member then goes to the Reserve Component as a Traditional Guard or Reserve member.

In addition to the DD Form 214 received after initial training, members of the Reserve Component should receive a DD Form 214 when they leave active duty if they served at least 90 consecutive days or more of active duty service. This often applies to mobilizations, or activation under Title 10 orders and other circumstances.

Members of the Guard or Reserves who have been activated more than once may have been issued more than one DD Form 214. The paperwork can get tricky in these circumstances, because technically, the member is released from his Guard commitment and immediately enrolled on active duty service. At the end of the activation period, the member is discharged from active duty, issued a DD Form 214, and reinstated into his or her Guard or Reserve status.

Be sure to verify your DD form 214 shows all periods of active duty service. The best time to correct service records is while you are still serving. So be sure to get copies of all records and ensure their accuracy. As always, try to keep copies of your military records forever. You can keep physical copies or scan them and keep digital copies backed up online.

Members of the Guard and Reserves receive a DD Form 256, Discharge Certificate, upon completion of their service agreement and their time in the Regular Reserves, Guard, or Individual Ready Reserve (IRR).

Learn More about these discharge certificates and when they are issued: Each branch of the military most likely publishes a guide for discharge certificates. Here is the latest from the USAF Reserves: AFI 36-3202, Separation Documents. It covers when certain forms are issued, and why.

Why a DD Form 214 is Important

As alluded to in the reader question, a DD Form 214 is often required by the VA and other benefits organizations to qualify for veterans benefits. It is the key to proving military service and qualifying for a variety of veterans benefits. Because of this, a veteran’s DD Form 214 is probably his or her most valuable military document.

The instructions the veteran receives with the DD Form 214 are simple: Don’t lose it! (It’s OK if you did; we will how you how to get a replacement further down the page).

But what if you never received a DD Form 214?

All active duty servicemembers are issued a DD Form 214 when they separate from active duty. If you didn’t receive a DD Form 214 when you left the service, you should contact your last unit if you separated recently. You can also contact your branch of service admin headquarters (Army Human Resources Command, Air Force Personnel Center, or Navy BUPERS). Each branch of the service maintains personnel records for about 5-10 years before sending them to the National Archives. If your branch of service no longer has these records, then you should contact the National Archives, where military service records are permanently maintained.

Members of the Reserve Corp only receive a DD Form 214 when they served on active duty – usually after initial training, and after separating from active duty after serving at least 90 consecutive days. If you served in the Guard or Reserves, but were never activated, you may not have a DD Form 214. This is the case even if you successfully and honorably served your term. Guard and Reserve members who complete their term of service are issued a DD Form 256 (Honorable Discharge Certificate) or DD Form 257 (General Discharge Certificate) upon completion of their term.

If you were activated while part of the Reserves, then you should have a DD Form 214. However, some older Guard or Reserve members have reported they don’t remember receiving a physical form. If you believe you should have received a DD Form 214, then you will need to contact your unit, your branch of service, or the National Archives to obtain a copy of your DD Form 214.

How to get Copies of Your Records

Here are some tips for getting copies of your DD Form 214, military records, and other information:

Correcting Errors in Your Military Records

If there is an error in your military records and you were supposed to have been issued a DD Form 214, but for some reason it was never issued, then you would need to file a request with the Board of Corrections for Military Records. That can be done with DD Form 149, Application for Correction of Military Records. You will need to substantiate any request for change of military records with evidence, such as a copy of your orders, travel vouchers, signed statements from your commanding officer or someone you served with, or other evidence. Filling out this type of form is outside of the scope of this article, but you should be able to obtain free assistance with any of these issues at your county or state Veterans Affairs office, or through a Veterans Service Organization such as the DAV, VFW, American Legion, etc.

Get Instant Access
FREE Weekly Updates! Enter your information to join our mailing list.

About Ryan Guina

Ryan Guina is the founder and editor of The Military Wallet. He is a writer, small business owner, and entrepreneur. He served over 6 years on active duty in the USAF and is a current member of the IL Air National Guard.

Ryan started The Military Wallet in 2007 after separating from active duty military service and has been writing about financial, small business, and military benefits topics since then. He also writes about personal finance and investing at Cash Money Life.

Ryan uses Personal Capital to track and manage his finances. Personal Capital is a free software program that allows him to track his net worth, balance his investment portfolio, track his income and expenses, and much more. You can open a free Personal Capital account here.

Featured In: Ryan's writing has been featured in the following publications: Forbes,, US News & World Report, Yahoo Finance, Reserve & National Guard Magazine (print and online editions), Military Influencer Magazine, Cash Money Life, The Military Guide, USAA, Go Banking Rates, and many other publications.

Reader Interactions


    Leave A Comment:


    About the comments on this site:

    These responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

  1. Reginald Colley says

    I have a copy of my DD214. This only shows my Tech school time period and from Tech school I went to my reserve unit and I have no record of the six active reserve years as well as the two years inactive after that. My records look like I was only in the Air Force reserves for a little over a year and that was in tech school. It shows nothing of the six years of completed drills.

    Thank you for your time and help.

    • Ryan Guina says

      Hello Reginald,

      Your DD Form 214 will only list active duty time. It does not list your drill periods or inactive training periods. You would need a Points Summary Statement for a record of those service dates. You will need to contact AFPC to obtain those records.

      Best wishes!

  2. Windy Hargiss says

    Hi Ryan, this is just a shot in the dark. My older brother served in the Navy from 1985 -1989.He was injured and had to have a metal plate placed in his leg. He served until the end of his tour. He wanted to make a career I’ve been in the Navy. However, when he tried to re-enlist, they denied him because they considered him to be physically disabled due to the injury. He was very disappointed To have his dreams crushed.
    He was denied reenlistment but had never received any type of disability from the Navy/government.
    When he applied for disability, they told him that he needed the letter declining his reenlistment. He no longer has the letter or is unable to find it. Would a copy of the letter be on file somewhere?
    Thank you in advance for any help you could offer.

  3. Kevin says

    I signed up for the USCGreserves Feb 1980 and was in Cape May NJ for my 8 weeks basic training and then to Yorktown VA for my 16 weeks rate training (MK). The requirements have apparently been changed to take this time for service members to be recognized as “Veterans”. I never received a DD214 at the conclusion of any of my active duty trainings. I served every required weekend (that allowed the active duty to have that time off) and I served every 2 week requirement (also allowed the active duty that time off). I did not receive a DD214 for any of the active duty events I participated in. I was never issued any type of discharge documentation until I sent off for “copies” of said documentation. I received an Honorable Discharge certificate as well as a shoddly semi completed DD256.
    I do not want any veteran’s benefits except the right to display on my license and license plate that I am a Veteran. I willingly signed up to fulfill my obligation and just want to be recognized as such. Is that too much to ask?

  4. James J. Hanrahan says

    I joined in good faith at 17 years of age, it was back in 1953, I enlisted while I was still in High School, I attended meetings at an armory in, White stone Queens,NYC. I joined in a program called. “The Baby Hitch” we were to be discharged the day before we turned 21 years of age. The enlistment changed to, a, “Six Year Enlistment and finally they changed it once more to an eight year enlistment. I didn’t mind, I loved being involved with the, USN-R I had trained as a Hospital Corpsman and was quite good at it, I did my training at the White stone armory, also aboard the, USS Osberg DD 538 I also was stationed aboard the, USS Amphion a repair ship, I was on a, training cruise to, “Spain And Portugal, I was sent to a naval air station in Dallas Tx. I eventually did ny training at St. Albans Naval Hospital in Queens NYC. My question is, “Did I Do my Military Obligation, of eight years for nothing, to receive any recognition for my time in the USNR? There are millions of people who served, just as I have are we to be disregarded and made to be, considered, “Non-Military?” I went to boot camp at Bainbridge MD. I served aboard USS Warships, Repairships I attended to injured shipmates and made every drill required of me! Now, myself and other, “Reservists” are being, disrespected and considered, as though we had never served our country! While many Americans never served, guys such as myself volunteered and proudly joined, We received, “Honorable Discharge Certificates” which have no meaning or standard in the, military! We could have been, “Draft Dodgers” and never served but we, “Enlisted” free will, we didn’t get drafted, wanted to serve and we did! This is a, Shabby Way” to treat the people who joined the service willingly, we did not wait around to be drafted, We joined because we wanted to serve our country! Is there any movement that is seeking to right this wrong, if so, please inform me how to participate!

    • Barry M. says

      Did you spend at least 90 CONSECUTIVE days on active duty? If not, you MAY not be considered a “Veteran” for benefits purposes. If you are in Texas, each county is supposed to have a Veterans Service officer(s). He or she will be able to check your service and advise.

Load More Comments

Disclaimer: The content on this site is for informational and entertainment purposes only and is not professional financial advice. References to third party products, rates, and offers may change without notice. Please visit the referenced site for current information. We may receive compensation through affiliate or advertising relationships from products mentioned on this site. However, we do not accept compensation for positive reviews; all reviews on this site represent the opinions of the author. Privacy Policy

Editorial Disclosure: This content is not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone, not those of the bank advertiser, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. This site may be compensated through the bank advertiser Affiliate Program.