Military Spouse Magazine recently released their 4th annual list of the Top 10 Military Spouse Friendly Employers. This annual list recognizes the most successful companies when it comes to hiring and recruiting military spouses.
Military spouses are a special group of individuals, and in many cases are highly sought after by employers due to their understanding of the military environment, commitment, talents, expertise, and extensive networks.
Top Military Spouse Friendly Employers:
What follows is a brief overview of each of the Top 10 Military Spouse Friendly Employers:
1. USAA. United Services Automobile Association (USAA) should need no introduction. Chances are good that if you are in the military, you have heard of USAA. And if you haven’t, then you should check them out. They offer a full-service bank and brokerage firm, investments, mortgages and other loans, and various forms of insurance. They also place a high priority on hiring veterans and military spouses (there are currently 1,686 military spouses employed by USAA). USAA also offers benefits for employees whose spouse is deployed and is currently rolling out a pilot program which would allow some military spouses to work from home – giving them the opportunity to take their career with them when they PCS.
2. TriWest Healthcare Alliance. TriWest Healthcare Alliance is the company that administers TRICARE in the 21-state West Region. They employ 1,800 people in over 90 locations. Approximately 15-20 percent of their employees are military spouses. TriWest Healthcare Alliance actively seeks to employ military spouses and offers a range of benefits designed to assist military families when the military member deploys.
3. T-Mobile. T-Mobile employs over 40,000 individuals and actively recruits military veterans and their family members. Because T-Mobile has thousands of retail shops, many employees are able to apply for a lateral move and maintain their position within T-Mobile.
4. Army & Air Force Exchange Service, (AAFES). AAFES is another company that doesn’t need an introduction. AAFES has an advantage when it comes to hiring military spouses as they have a presence on most military installations, with over 3,100 worldwide installations. But AAFES also knows what it takes to serve the military community, making them a great fit for military spouses. The Spouse Continuity Program can help military spouses keep their job when they PCS, a benefit not found with many other jobs available to military spouses.
5. CSC. CSC (formerly known as Computer Sciences Corporation, now just CSC) is a 94,000+ employee company that specializes in technology and government contracting. CSC’s Military Program has multiple contracting programs located on and around a variety of military installations worldwide, making this a great opportunity for military spouses.
6. Adecco Group. Adecco is a professional staffing company providing temporary, contract, and direct hire services to companies who need to fill a position in a hurry. A Fortune 500 company, Adecco has offices in the US, Canada, and around the world. Due to the nature of the business, military spouses are easily able to pick up and move at will. Adecco will assist employees with locating work at their new duty station.
7. RE/MAX International. If there is one thing most military members know how to do, it is move, making real estate a natural match for many military spouses. RE/MAX International has over 60,000 offices in the US and offices in over 75 countries. Military spouses who move may be able to get an office referral to another location near their new duty station, giving them the opportunity to continue working.
8. The Home Depot. Home Depot is one of the largest home improvement retailers in the US, with over 2,200 stores. They have a strong history of recruiting military veterans and family members and offer a wide range of positions, from retail to distribution. The Home Depot will work with military family members during a PCS to try and transfer them to a new position if there is a Home Depot store near their new location. Home Depot also supports military members with a Home Depot military discount.
9. Health Net Inc. Health Net manages the TRICARE program for the North Region of the US. They also provide health benefits and managed care products for commercial companies, group plans, and individuals. Health Net Inc. actively recruits military spouses and veterans who are familiar with the TRICARE program. This familiarity is valuable when assisting customers make claims.
10. Kelly Services, Inc. Kelly Services has offices in all 50 states and offers temporary staffing services, outsourcing, on-site and full-time placements. Kelly Services has contacts in a diverse range of professions and skill levels and can help place people with almost any background – from entry level positions to a PhD. Kelly Services provides services for 95% of the Fortune 500 companies and a variety of other companies around the US, making it possible to remain on the Keely Services roster when you PCS.
Why Hire a Military Spouse?
- Military spouses know sacrifice.
- They know how to serve.
- They offer a wealth of experience.
- They often have an extensive network.
- Military spouses are dedicated.
Military Spouse Magazine used the following methodology to determine their top ten rankings:
Methodology: Our rankings of the Top 10 Military Spouse Friendly Employers are based on company responses to surveys, on policies for spouses who are married to a member of the Reserve/Guard called to active duty, as well as spouses married to an active duty member of the Armed Forces. Additionally the survey covers company infrastructure and hiring policies/practices with respect to military spouses. Criteria weighting: general military spouse policies: 35%; active duty spouse policies: 25%; asset allocation: 20%; reserve spouse policies: 10%; other spouse related efforts: 10%.”