How to Register a New Family Member in DEERS – The Defense Enrollment Eligibility Registration System

Some links below are from our sponsors. Here’s how we make money.

Advertiser Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone. This article may contain links from our advertisers. For more information, please see our Advertising Policy.

default image
The DEERS system is the centralized database for all military memebers and their families. You need to be enrolled in the DEERS system in order to receive military benefits.

While there are many acronyms to learn in the military, DEERS is one to know by heart. It is the core of the military benefit system – without it, you wouldn’t be able to shop at the commissary, make an appointment at the clinic, or even possibly access a military installation.

That awful noise when they scan your ID card? That means that you have to update your information in DEERS.

DEERS - Defense Enrollment Eligibility Registration System

The Defense Enrollment Eligibility Registration System (DEERS) is a centralized database of personal identification information for service members and their families.

DEERS verifies eligibility for benefits such as:

When to Update DEERS

Service members are automatically enrolled into DEERS when they join the military. Each dependent, however, must be enrolled separately by the service member. The service member can add a new family member into DEERS in person at any military ID card-issuing facility.

Service members are also expected to update DEERS with any change in the sponsor’s service status, change in contact information, or change in family status (marriage, divorce, birth, adoption, death). This means that every time you move you will need to update your DEERS information.

You have a few options for updating your information with the exception of adding a new family member or updating a Social Security number (which must be done in person):

It is essential to keep your information up to date in DEERS or you may risk losing military benefits or may even possibly be fined. This can sometimes be overlooked, especially when a child is born.

Newborn children must be entered into DEERS immediately and as a result, are often entered before a Social Security number has been issued to them. Parents must return to a military ID card-issuing facility with the child’s Social Security card or they risk being fined.

What to bring with you

To speed up the registration process, be sure to bring all the necessary documentation with you. If you have any questions or concerns regarding the necessary documentation, call ahead to your nearest military ID card-issuing facility.

For registering a new family member into DEERS, sponsors must bring a completed DD Form 1172 as well as the following:

To add a spouse:

  • Marriage certificate
  • Spouse birth certificate
  • Spouse Social Security card
  • Spouse photo ID

To add a child:

  • Child’s birth certificate
  • Child’s Social Security card

*For a stepchild, the marriage certificate is also required

To add a child over 21 with full-time student status:

  • Letter from the school’s registrar office verifying enrollment

*Benefits can be extended until the child reaches the age of 23 if they are a full-time student.

To add a dependent parent:

  • DFAS letter of approval
  • Service member birth certificate
  • Service member valid photo ID
  • Parent photo ID
  • Parent Social Security card

To add a dependent ward

  • DFAS letter of approval
  • Court document placing the child in the sponsor’s home for at least one year
  • Dependent birth certificate
  • Dependent Social Security card

*All documents must be translated in English and certified.

If you have additional questions regarding the DEERS enrollment process, check out the TRICARE’s website or call your nearest military ID card-issuing facility. TRICARE has also put together a helpful fact sheet about registering in DEERS.

Get Instant Access
FREE Weekly Updates! Enter your information to join our mailing list.

About Alex Hopkin

Alex Hopkin is a candidate for the CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ certification with a Bachelor’s degree in Finance from Florida State University. Her favorite area of personal finance is helping families plan for life events such as marriage, babies, and the dreaded PCS.

Reader Interactions


    Leave A Comment:


    About the comments on this site:

    These responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

  1. Ramon J Gonzalez says

    My 39 yr old daughter (divorced) suffered a stroke and now on the road to recovery. I need to ‘add a dependent ward’ and two grandchildren. Where is the best site to visit to get the DFAS Letter of Approval?

  2. Katrina says

    In order to enroll my stepson in deeds, does my husband’s name have to be listed on the birth certificate. In the DoD manual, it only specifies that one parent has to be listed.

Load More Comments

Disclaimer: The content on this site is for informational and entertainment purposes only and is not professional financial advice. References to third party products, rates, and offers may change without notice. Please visit the referenced site for current information. We may receive compensation through affiliate or advertising relationships from products mentioned on this site. However, we do not accept compensation for positive reviews; all reviews on this site represent the opinions of the author. Privacy Policy

Editorial Disclosure: This content is not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone, not those of the bank advertiser, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. This site may be compensated through the bank advertiser Affiliate Program.