Types of Military Discharges

Many civilians commonly assume that people “retire” from the military when they leave the service, which isn’t always the case. Receiving a discharge, or separation, is not the same thing as military retirement.  A military discharge is simply defined as a military member being released from their obligation to continue service in the armed forces. A discharge relieves the veteran from any future military service obligations where as a retired reserve individual may be called back to active duty.  A separation from the military can be voluntary or involuntary, and may leave additional unfulfilled military service obligation that will need to be carried out in the Individual Ready Reserve. It’s important to note that there are several types of military discharges, and these can have a profound impact on a veteran’s ability to receive veterans benefits, serve in government employment, reenlist in the military, and more.

Types of Military Discharges

Military discharge rating - types of military dischargesThe type of military discharge a veteran receives will be listed on his or her DD-214 Military Discharge Paperwork. The following are a list of various types of military discharges:

Honorable Discharge

If a military service member received a good or excellent rating for their service time, by exceeding standards for performance and personal conduct, they will be discharged from the military honorably. An honorable military discharge is a form of administrative discharge.

General Discharge

If a service member’s performance is satisfactory but the individual failed to meet all expectations of conduct for military members, the discharge is considered a general discharge.  To receive a general discharge from the military there has to be some form of nonjudicial punishment to correct unacceptable military behavior. A general military discharge is a form of administrative discharge.

Other Than Honorable Conditions Discharge

The most severe type of military administrative discharge is the Other Than Honorable Conditions.  Some examples of actions that could lead to an Other Than Honorable Discharge include security violations,  use of violence, conviction by a civilian court with a sentence including prison time, or being found guilty of adultery in a divorce hearing (this list is not a definitive list; these are only examples).  In most cases, veterans who receive an Other Than Honorable Discharge cannot re-enlist in the Armed Forces or reserves, except under very rare circumstances.  Veteran’s benefits are not usually available to those discharged through this type of discharge.

Bad Conduct Discharge (BCD)

The Bad Conduct Discharge is only passed on to enlisted military members and is given by a court-martial due to punishment for bad conduct.  A Bad Conduct discharge is often preceded by time in military prison.  Virtually all veteran’s benefits are forfeited if discharged due to Bad Conduct.

Dishonorable Discharge

If the military considers a service members actions to be reprehensible, the general court-martial can determine a dishonorable discharge is in order.  Murder and sexual assault are examples of situations which would result in a dishonorable discharge.  If someone is dishonorably discharged from the military they are not allowed to own firearms according to US federal law. Military members who receive a Dishonorable Discharge forfeit all military and veterans benefits and may have a difficult time finding work in the civilian sector.

Officer Discharge

Commissioned officers cannot receive bad conduct discharges or a dishonorable discharge, nor can they be reduced in rank by a court-martial. If an officer is discharged by a general court-martial, they receive a Dismissal notice which is the same as a dishonorable discharge.

Entry Level Separation (ELS)

If an individual leaves the military before completing at least 180 days of service, they receive an entry level separation status.  This type of military discharge can happen for a variety of reasons (medical, administrative, etc.) and is neither good or bad, though in many cases, service of less than 180 may prevent some people from being classified as a veteran for state and federal military benefits.

How to Upgrade a Military Discharge

In some situations, you may be eligible to apply to have your military discharge upgraded to a higher rating. However, despite, the rumors, there is no automatic upgrade process. You must apply to have your discharge upgraded by downloading DD Form 293Application for the Review of Discharge or Dismissal from the Armed Forces of the United States. You must then submit the form to the Discharge Review Board within 15 years of your discharge. If your discharge was more than 15 years ago, you must request a change to your military records. Here is more information about military discharge upgrades. It is a complicated process, and one that is often best done with the help of legal assistance.

How Military Discharge Information Should Be Used for Job Interviews

This information should be used as a reference only – especially if you are an employer researching a job applicant. Due to legal issues surrounding Equal Employment Opportunities and related laws, one should be careful in the interview process. It is generally illegal to ask which type of discharge a military veteran received, unless it is to ask whether or not an applicant received an Honorable or General Discharge if you are ascertaining whether or not the applicant qualifies for veteran’s preference. Read more about illegal job interview questions.

However, even if the veteran did not receive one of these types of discharges, it doesn’t necessarily mean they were discharged for bad conduct, as the reason could have been a medical discharge or other administrative discharge. It is usually best to keep the line of questioning centered around the job applicant’s experience and qualifications. For example, you can ask them if they have military service,the period of their service, rank at time of separation, type of training, leadership, and work experience, qualifications and certifications, and anything else relevant to the specific position for which they are applying. See your Human Resources office for more information.

Print Friendly
Date published: January 19, 2011. Last updated: January 26, 2015.

Article by

Ryan Guina is the founder and editor of this site. He is a writer, small business owner, and entrepreneur. He served over 6 years on active duty in the USAF and is currently serving in the IL Air National Guard. He also writes about money management, small business, and career topics at Cash Money Life. You can also see his profile on Google.


  1. Lisa latham says

    Hi my name is Lisa Latham, I hope you can help me my brother Robert Paul Richards, was enlisted in the Marines and was doing boot camp at Parris Island S.C. 1973, he received a honorable discharge or medical discharge, he is unsure, it was due to his eyesight, where would I begin to to help him look for his records, and is he qualified for any benefits? Please help,

    • says

      Paula, Thank you for contacting me. No, you cannot receive a Dishonorable Discharge for a legitimate medical reason. I recommend speaking with a Judge Advocate General (JAG) or other legal representation for more specific advice if there has been discussion regarding a Dishonorable Discharge for medical reasons. There would need to be other circumstances to receive a Dishonorable Discharge.

  2. Susan Chandler says

    I am doing some genealogy research of certain veterans and came across records noted with the term “discharged by purchase.” I assume it means the service member wanted to leave the service before his commitment was up and bought out the remainder of his contract, but I’m not really sure. I tried looking it up on Google, but I didn’t find anything but your website, so I though you could help. The definition is not relevant to my research, just curious.

  3. trina says

    My son served his term with an honorable discharge and re listed. This time he got oth. Is he still eligible for benefits with his honorable discharge.

    • says

      Trina, generally it is the final discharge that is considered when it comes to benefits. I recommend your son sit down with a VA representative to determine which benefits he is eligible to receive.

  4. Karen says

    Hello Ryan,

    My son has just started basic boot camp for the Navy and is being told there is a strong possibility of being medically discharged for having a migraine. He does not have a history of migraines so I am in shock. He did have a bad headache but considering that he does not have a pattern of migraines I am not sure why this is grounds to be medically discharged.

    Can you please advise what he can do? His dream is to continue his path in the Navy and ultimately work in the medically field as a PA.

    Is there a way to help him not get medically discharged??

    Thank you so much for your time and input.



    • says

      Karen, Thank you for contacting me. I wish I could help you, but I really don’t have any insight into medical conditions and how they are treated by each respective branch of the military. The only advice I can offer is to make sure he requests a second opinion if the Navy is going to discharge him for a condition he has never previously had. There isn’t much else I know to do. Sorry I can’t offer any better guidance. But I do wish him the best, and I hope he is able to serve in the Navy.

  5. Patricia Napoli says

    My husband is being discharged for mental health/depression. What kind of discharge would that fall under?

    • says

      Patricia, To be honest, there is no way for me to know. It could be a medical discharge, which is often under Honorable conditions. It could be a General discharge, which is also often referred to as an administrative discharge. There may also be other factors involved that I am not aware of that could impact the discharge rating. All factors are considered by the member’s unit, which will usually determine the discharge status.

      I hope your husband will receive the help he needs – either from the military, or through the Department of Veterans Affairs. Be sure to set up appointments with the VA before he separates. They may offer him benefits of access to programs where he can receive help. I wish you both the best.

  6. John says

    I’ve currently been seen in mental health for anxiety and depression. As well as ADAPT. I’ve been assigned to treatment for alcohol and failed the program. I’ve been through numerous of previous treatments passing them all before. I’ve been in numerous personal therapies. Now mental health is pushing for admin separation. What type of admin separation should I expect? I’m not in trouble or have no article 15’s pending or within 8 years(one for curfew violation). Should it be a medical board for psychological so general under honorable or a straight general? Maybe an honorable?

    • says

      John, Thank you for contacting me. Unfortunately, I don’t have a specific answer for you. I can give general information, but I’m not qualified to answer on behalf of another unit or comment on individual situations. My recommendation is to schedule an appointment with your base legal office to see if they can give you more information. You may also wish to consult with your unit personnel office for their input.

      If this separation does go through, I highly recommend scheduling an appointment with the VA to submit a VA disability claim (if applicable) and set up health care through the VA after you leave the service. There are many organizations that can assist you with your claim, and/or getting started with the VA. Some options include the DAV, VFW, American Legion, etc. I wish you the best of luck with this situation, and more importantly, I hope you get the help you need.

  7. Perry says

    I know a friend that was in the Marine Corps and received an “honorable discharge”. After leaving the Corps he joined the Army Reserves and now may be pending an “other than honorable discharge” or “bad conduct discharge”. Will he still receive his benefits for his “honorable discharge”? or will his “other than honorable or bad conduct discharge” take his “honorable discharge” away?

    • says

      Perry, Thank you for contacting me. You would need to verify with the VA, but I believe it is the most recent discharge status that the VA considers for benefits purposes. Some benefits may have different requirements as well, so the best thing to do is sit down with a VA benefits counselor and go through a counseling session to determine which benefits, if any, the veteran is eligible to receive. I hope this helps.

  8. Blaine Cash says

    Back in the 70s, the recruiter and I, quite literally forged my birth certificate to say I was 18. Even filed for a new ss#, Was SOOO easy back then, Any ways, ended up getting an OTH designation on my DD214. What can I do to get this changed?
    Blaine in MO

  9. Daniel says

    Hi, I enlisted at 18, did most of a three year enlistment but did something very stupid a couple months before ets and got myself a BCD.. Now ten years later I’ve not been in any trouble and I’m a completely different person than I was at 20.. I’ve been told I can get my discharge upgraded.. But is there any hope in getting it upgraded and reenlisting? I would like the chance to serve my country with a proper head on my shoulders.. Thanks for your advice.

    • says

      Daniel, Thank you for contacting me. It can be possible to get your discharge rating upgraded, but it isn’t always easy.

      As for serving again, I can’t tell you yes or no. All I can do is refer you to a recruiter who will be able to give you that information. Generally they will look at your previous service record, reenlistment code (RE Code) found on your DD214, and look at other factors. If your RE code won’t allow you to reenlist, then you may be out of luck, unless you can get that changed. Again, it’s not always easy to do that.

      So your first course of action should be to contact a recruiter, and take it from there. They will let you know if you can reenlist. And if not, then you can ask them where to go from there.

  10. mario segura says

    Hi, my son is going to be discharged because of surgery on his knee. What kind of medical discharge is he going to have?

    • says

      Mario, Thank you for contacting me. I don’t have that information – that will need to be provided by his unit. If he is still going through his initial training, it is possible he will receive an administrative discharge, or a medical discharge. If he is still relatively early in his career, it will most likely be a medical discharge. In some cases the military will offer a medical retirement, but the illness or injury typically needs to be severe and the member must have served a minimum amount of time in order to receive this. Your son should speak with his personnel section and his medical provider to understand what is being recommended and how he should proceed. I hope this helps.

  11. Phyllis says

    My daughter is getting a General discharge she was doning her basic traing for the army reserve. She really wants to go back and prove she can do this. How can she get back in? Or is it even possible to get back in. If so how?

    • says

      Phyllis, Thank you for contacting me. This isn’t something I can answer – the reason for the discharge, and the associated Reenlistment Code (RE Code) will be major factors to see if she is eligible to enlist again. She will need to contact a recruiter, who will be able to look at her information and assess her situation. That is the only way to move the process forward. Best of luck!

  12. Timothy Clarey says

    I entered the Army on 82/02/10 was honorably discharged on 82/04/29 I injured my knees in basic was told I had reached “full medical improvement”to this day I frequently get severe pain in my knees I was wonder would I qualify for veterans benefits

    • says

      Timothy, Thank you for contacting me. You would need to apply for disability compensation through the VA. This can be done by visiting a VA hospital or medical center or by applying online. However, you may be better off getting assistance through the DAV (Disabled American Veterans) or another veterans service organization. These organizations offer free benefits claims assistance.

      You will need to be able to prove you had an injury while you were in the military. So you may need to get a copy of any associated medical records if you do not have a copy. You might be able to find them through the National Archives, which is where military personnel records are stored. Best of luck, and thanks for your service!

  13. Molly Brandon says

    I was discharged (by my own request) with less than 180 days of service. I was pulled from AIT graduation, the day of graduation, and told that my discharge was a go. Therefore, they did not MOS qualify me, though I did complete and pass AIT. I do not have my DD214 in front of me, at this time, but, if I remember correctly, it was general or ELS. My reason for requesting a discharge was that my mother had custody of my 1 yr old son and she notified me that she could no longer care for him. I had no one else to care for him so I had to request to get out to go home to care for him. My question is, am I eligible for VA benefits (mainly the VA home loan)? Any information / help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    • says

      Molly, I believe the VA requires one to have served a full 180 days to be eligible for the VA loan, unless they were injured in the line of duty. You would need to contact the VA for more specific information. Best of luck, and thanks for your service!

Speak Your Mind

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *