State of Virginia Launches Veterans Identification Card

The state of Virginia recently announced a new Veterans Identification Card for Virginia state residents. This card will serve as an official veterans ID card and proof of veterans status for state residents. These cards can be used any time you need to show proof of service, including for military discounts at stores, state parks, or other businesses, or other veterans benefits (here is a list of participating Virgina retailers and other outlets).

How to Apply for Virginia Veterans ID Card

Virginia Veterans ID Card

Show your proof of service with a state issued Veterans ID Card

You will need to have a valid Virginia driver’s license or state issued ID card and your DD Form 214 (a A WD AGO document or DD 256 will also work as proof of service). You will then need to fill out the application and pay a $10 application fee. The Virginia vets cards never expire, so you won’t have to worry about replacing your card unless it is lost or stolen.

Where to apply: You can apply in-person, online, or via fax or mail. You can download the application to make the process faster. You can apply through these DMV service outlets:

  • DMV customer service centers
  • DMV 2 Go mobile offices
  • Online at
  • U.S. mail: P.O. Box 27412, Richmond, VA 23269-0001
  • Fax: (804) 367-1112

If you apply in person, you will receive a temporary Veterans ID card, much like a temporary driver’s license. Otherewise, you will receive your official Veterans ID card in the mail in about a week.

More States Should Follow Suit

It’s great to see Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell make this announcement – it’s long overdue for veterans who lack an easy way to prove military service. As many veterans know, there is no official government issued veterans ID card that covers all veterans (currently there are active duty and reserve cards, retiree cards, and VA Issued ID cards for those with a qualifying service-connected disability rating).

This is the first state I’ve heard of that offers an official veterans ID card, though some states will place a notation on state issued ID cards like driver’s licenses or state issued ID cards. Some local governments also issue military ID cards good for discounts at local businesses. But there needs to be a better system adopted nationwide.

I’m sure I don’t speak for myself when I say that I would love to see all states adopt this policy, or at the minimum, include a military veterans endorsement or logo on state driver’s licenses or ID cards. A national ID card for veterans would also be a welcome policy. The logistics are set up for states to easily issue ID cards or endorse driver’s licenses, so that may be the easiest to implement.

Print Friendly
Date published: June 13, 2012.

Article by

Ryan Guina is the founder and editor of this site. He is a writer, small business owner, and entrepreneur. He served over 6 years on active duty in the USAF and is currently serving in the IL Air National Guard. He also writes about money management, small business, and career topics at Cash Money Life. You can also see his profile on Google.


  1. Amanda says

    I think this is a great idea. I’m a veteran but sadly not in the state of Virginia. The state of Florida needs this asap.

  2. Larry Fetzer says


    I received my Virginia state Veterans ID in record time as the process is well defined and DMV personnel are well trained. My wife and step children are also interested in receiving dependents IDs but I cannot find on-line applications for dependents. Any suggestions.

    Thank you.


  3. Seabee builder says

    I’m not sure if you are aware, Pennsylvania did pass legislation with regards to veterans endorsements on drivers license. However, the program is going into effect until summer 2014. You may want to contact your local DMV for more details.

  4. Eric Stoneburner says

    It would be nice if texas would do the same thing as Virginia. We are one of the biggest military states and we could use the veteran ID card as well. There are alot of former military here.

    • says

      Great question. I would contact the ID card issuing center and ask them if you can get an ID card as a member of the Guard. You may be required to show proof of service from your unit.

Speak Your Mind

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *