How to Use the GI Bill for Licenses and Certifications

You can use your GI Bill benefits for many training courses, licenses, examinations and certifications.
Advertising Disclosure.

Advertiser Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone. This article may contain links from our advertisers. For more information, please see our Advertising Policy.

The Military Wallet has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. The Military Wallet and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Some or all of the card offers that appear on The Military Wallet are from advertisers. Compensation may impact how and where card products appear, but does not affect our editors’ opinions or evaluations. The Military Wallet does not include all card companies or all available card offers.

Use the GI Bill for licenses and certifications

You can use your GI Bill benefits for many training courses, licenses, examinations and certifications.

If you recently separated from the military, you qualify for education benefits under either the Montgomery GI Bill or the Post-9/11 GI Bill. You may also be eligible for assistance through the Veteran Readiness and Employment program.

Both GI Bills offer college tuition assistance.

But what if college isn’t in your plans? If you would rather build on the skills you picked up in the military and take a career trade path, the GI Bill can help. You can use your benefits to get licenses and certifications.

GI Bill Eligibility

GI Bill eligibility requirements vary depending on which GI Bill you use.

Post-9/11 GI Bill

You are eligible to receive Post-9/11 GI Bill education benefits if you were honorably discharged after serving at least 90 days on active duty after Sept. 10, 2001. You are also eligible if you received a Purple Heart or were honorably discharged for a service-connected disability after serving at least 30 days.

Members of the National Guard and reserves who meet the active-duty requirement are eligible. Active service includes Title 10 (active duty) and Title 32 (National Guard duty).

Montgomery GI Bill

The MGIB offers two programs, depending on whether you were an active-duty or reserve member of the armed forces.

  • MGIB-AD: You are eligible for Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty (MGIB-AD) education benefits if you paid $100 per month for 12 months and completed a minimum service obligation.
  • MGIB-SR: You are eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserves (MGIB-SR) if you are a drilling reservist with a six-year obligation to the armed forces.

GI Bill Licensing and Certification Benefits

You can use your GI Bill benefits for a variety of certification and licensing tests. The VA will pay up to $2,000 per certification test – even if you don’t pass.

Your benefits may also reimburse you for national testing fees, such as registration and administrative fees, as well as the costs of the tests. Eligible tests include the SAT, TOEFL (test of English as a foreign language) and prior learning assessment testing.

The VA will prorate how much they charge against your entitlement based on the cost of the test. Veterans with their full entitlements can use the monthly rates below to calculate the charge against their entitlement:

  • Post-9/11 GI Bill: $2,200.96 (effective Aug. 1, 2022-July 31, 2023)
  • MGIB-AD: $2,150 (effective Oct. 1, 2021)
  • MGIB-SR: $439 (effective Oct. 1, 2022)

Decide Which GI Bill You Want to Use

You may be eligible for both GI Bills. You can only use one benefit at a time, so you’ll have to choose which one to use.

If you choose to use your Post-9/11 benefits, you can’t switch back to the MGIB. In some cases, you may be able to use up your MGIB-AD benefits and then receive an additional 12 months of Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits.

How to Get the Licensing, Certification and Testing Benefit

Here’s how to use your GI Bill Benefits for license or certification tests.

Find a VA-Approved Test

The VA will only reimburse you for approved licensing, certification and testing. Before you commit to a test, check the VA’s GI Bill Comparison Tool to ensure that it is VA approved.

Licensing and Certification

Complete VA Form 22-0803, Application for Reimbursement of Licensing or Certification Test Fees, and attach proof of payment of the fees. Then mail them to your VA regional processing office or upload them through Ask VA.

National Testing

Complete Form 22-0810, Application for Reimbursement of National Exam Fee, and attach proof of payment of fees. Then mail them to your VA regional processing office.

Use Your Benefits Before They Expire

Veterans who are eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill who separated from the military on or after Jan. 1, 2013, don’t need to worry about their education benefits expiring, thanks to the Forever GI Bill.

Other GI Bill programs, however, have the following expiration dates:

  • Post-9/11 GI Bill: Veterans discharged Dec. 31, 2012, or earlier can use their benefits for 15 years.
  • MGIB-AD: Active-duty veterans using MGIB-AD education benefits must use them within 10 years.
  • MGIB-SR: Military members using MGIB-SR benefits must use them within 14 years. In addition, their benefits expire when they leave the service, except in limited situations. Reservists who are called up to active duty will receive an extension for the length of their mobilization plus four months. In addition, if they separated due to a disability, were part of a unit that was deactivated between Oct. 1, 2007, and Sept. 30, 2014, or involuntarily separated during that time, they may be able to use their benefits for up to 14 years from the date of their first six-year obligation.

About Post Author

Get Instant Access
FREE Weekly Updates! Enter your information to join our mailing list.

Posted In:

Reader Interactions

Leave A Comment:


About the comments on this site:

These responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

The Military Wallet is a property of Three Creeks Media. Neither The Military Wallet nor Three Creeks Media are associated with or endorsed by the U.S. Departments of Defense or Veterans Affairs. The content on The Military Wallet is produced by Three Creeks Media, its partners, affiliates and contractors, any opinions or statements on The Military Wallet should not be attributed to the Dept. of Veterans Affairs, the Dept. of Defense or any governmental entity. If you have questions about Veteran programs offered through or by the Dept. of Veterans Affairs, please visit their website at The content offered on The Military Wallet is for general informational purposes only and may not be relevant to any consumer’s specific situation, this content should not be construed as legal or financial advice. If you have questions of a specific nature consider consulting a financial professional, accountant or attorney to discuss. References to third-party products, rates and offers may change without notice.

Advertising Notice: The Military Wallet and Three Creeks Media, its parent and affiliate companies, may receive compensation through advertising placements on The Military Wallet; For any rankings or lists on this site, The Military Wallet may receive compensation from the companies being ranked and this compensation may affect how, where and in what order products and companies appear in the rankings and lists. If a ranking or list has a company noted to be a “partner” the indicated company is a corporate affiliate of The Military Wallet. No tables, rankings or lists are fully comprehensive and do not include all companies or available products.

Editorial Disclosure: Editorial content on The Military Wallet may include opinions. Any opinions are those of the author alone, and not those of an advertiser to the site nor of  The Military Wallet.