How to Claim Military Stop Loss Benefits – Deadline Extended!

UPDATE – The Stop Loss Claim Deadline Has Expired. The deadline to claim Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay was extended to October 21, 2012. That deadline has since expired. This article remains live on this website as a historical reference. Time is running out for servicemembers eligible for Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay (RSLSP).  Eligible…
Advertising Disclosure.

Advertiser Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone. This article may contain links from our advertisers. For more information, please see our Advertising Policy.

default image

UPDATE – The Stop Loss Claim Deadline Has Expired. The deadline to claim Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay was extended to October 21, 2012. That deadline has since expired. This article remains live on this website as a historical reference.

Time is running out for servicemembers eligible for Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay (RSLSP).  Eligible recipients must submit an application for benefits by October 21, 2011 or miss out on the opportunity to receive benefits.  Established by the 2009 War Supplemental Appropriations Act, RSLSP pays $500 per month or partial month that has been served in stop loss status.

Military Stop Loss Benefits Ending Soon

Who is Eligible for Military Stop Loss Benefits?

To be eligible for stop loss benefits you must be a servicemember, veteran or beneficiary of a servicemember who had their service involuntarily extended between September 11, 2001 and September 30, 2009 due to Stop Loss.

How to apply for military stop loss benefits

In order to receive Stop Loss benefits, eligible parties must submit a claim.  Benefits will not be automatically distributed, therefore this important step is crucial to ensure you receive this special pay.  The average benefit for eligible servicemembers is $3,700 but your actual claim will be determined by the amount of time you were required to remain on active duty.

When can you submit a claim?

Applications for benefits have been submitted since October 21, 2009 and will end on October 21, 2011.  Applications submitted and received after the December 3 deadline are under no authorization to be paid.

How to Submit a Stop Loss Claim

To submit a claim for Stop Loss benefits, eligible servicemembers must print, complete and sign the following Stop Loss claim form: Department of Defense Form 2944, Claim for Retroactive Stop Loss Payment and submit it by October 21, 2011.

After the application is complete, it will be necessary to select a method of submitting the form as well as supporting documents.  Servicemembers can learn more about  submitting a claim based on service specifications at your service’s Stop Loss website.  You may be required to provide the following documents based on specific status and service.

  • Personnel record- Enlistment or reenlistment documents which state the original expiration date of service.
  • Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty and/or Correction to DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty.
  • Orders which establish retirement before the actual date of retirement as stated in DD Form 214 or DD Form 215.
  • Approved orders for resignation or transition which establish a separation date earlier than the actual date of separation as stated on DD Form 214 or DD Form 215.
  • Documentation from individual’s chain of command corroborating separation or deployment.
  • Revocation of separation or retirement orders.

Combat Zone Tax Exclusion

If a servicemember served in an area that is combat zone tax excluded during Stop Loss special pay, RSLSP will apply.  Consult the DoD Financial Management Regulation, Volume 7A, chapter 44, paragraph 440103A for a complete list of combat zones.  This information can also be accessed here.

In conclusion, over $127 million in special pay has already been paid out to 30,000 servicemembers from different branches of the military.  It is estimated that there may be thousands of additional servicemembers who are eligible that have not yet submitted a claim.   These individuals are encouraged to submit an application for benefits before the deadline to ensure approval of this special pay.  Please note that stop-lossed servicemembers who voluntarily extended their service or reenlisted and received a bonus already will not be eligible for RSLSP.

Stop-Loss Pay Deadline Extended to October 21, 2012

The government recently extended the deadline for eligible servicemembers, veterans and their beneficiaries to apply for Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay (RSLSP).  The original October 21st 2010 deadline has been extended to October 21, 2011, giving eligible veterans more opportunity to apply for the stop loss benefits they earned.

About Stop Loss Pay: Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay was established in 2009 by the 2009 War Supplemental Appropriations Act. RSLSP applies to eligible service members who were involuntarily required to extend their military service between September 11, 2001 and September 30, 2009.  It pays $500 per month or partial month that has been served in stop loss status.

How to apply for  Stop Loss Pay Benefits. Eligible servicemembers, veterans, or beneficiaries must submit a claim through their respective branch of the military in order to receive this benefit (information for each branch is listed below).  Applicants must supply evidence to support their claim, including personnel records, orders establishing a retirement date which was later changed due to stop loss, revocation of separation or retirement orders, and their military service record (DD Form 214) if separated from military service.

For more information, please visit

Apply Now for Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay

The following service-specific sites provide more information and allow you to begin the RSLSP claim process.

Air Force


Marine Corps


Please share this. If someone you know may be eligible for Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay, then please encourage them to apply as soon as possible.

About Post Author

Get Instant Access
FREE Weekly Updates! Enter your information to join our mailing list.

About Ryan Guina

Ryan Guina is The Military Wallet's founder. He is a writer, small business owner, and entrepreneur. He served over six years on active duty in the USAF and is a current member of the Illinois Air National Guard.

Ryan started The Military Wallet in 2007 after separating from active duty military service and has been writing about financial, small business, and military benefits topics since then. He also writes about personal finance and investing at Cash Money Life.

Ryan uses Personal Capital to track and manage his finances. Personal Capital is a free software program that allows him to track his net worth, balance his investment portfolio, track his income and expenses, and much more. You can open a free Personal Capital account here.

Featured In: Ryan's writing has been featured in the following publications: Forbes,, US News & World Report, Yahoo Finance, Reserve & National Guard Magazine (print and online editions), Military Influencer Magazine, Cash Money Life, The Military Guide, USAA, Go Banking Rates, and many other publications.

Reader Interactions


    Leave A Comment:


    About the comments on this site:

    These responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

    • Ryan Guina says

      David, please do not commit suicide. Please call the Veterans Crisis Line at 1-800-273-8255 (then press 1), or text them at 838255. They also have online chat support on their website:

      Veterans Crisis Line provides free and confidential support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They can offer help over the phone and also direct you to people in your local community who can help. The Army also offers confidential counseling on base. Here are some additional resources through Military One Source.

      There is hope, David. Please remember that!

  1. SFC Tookes, Garret Knoral says

    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I have been trying to download the proper documents to file for my stoploss. I have been on madical hold / active duty under the CBWTU-AR and there isn’t a phone number to call to apply for this benifit. So if you could please send me the information i desire. Thank you and good bless. Decembe 2, 2010 Garret K. Tookes SFC.

Load More Comments

The Military Wallet is a property of Three Creeks Media. Neither The Military Wallet nor Three Creeks Media are associated with or endorsed by the U.S. Departments of Defense or Veterans Affairs. The content on The Military Wallet is produced by Three Creeks Media, its partners, affiliates and contractors, any opinions or statements on The Military Wallet should not be attributed to the Dept. of Veterans Affairs, the Dept. of Defense or any governmental entity. If you have questions about Veteran programs offered through or by the Dept. of Veterans Affairs, please visit their website at The content offered on The Military Wallet is for general informational purposes only and may not be relevant to any consumer’s specific situation, this content should not be construed as legal or financial advice. If you have questions of a specific nature consider consulting a financial professional, accountant or attorney to discuss. References to third-party products, rates and offers may change without notice.

Advertising Notice: The Military Wallet and Three Creeks Media, its parent and affiliate companies, may receive compensation through advertising placements on The Military Wallet; For any rankings or lists on this site, The Military Wallet may receive compensation from the companies being ranked and this compensation may affect how, where and in what order products and companies appear in the rankings and lists. If a ranking or list has a company noted to be a “partner” the indicated company is a corporate affiliate of The Military Wallet. No tables, rankings or lists are fully comprehensive and do not include all companies or available products.

Editorial Disclosure: Editorial content on The Military Wallet may include opinions. Any opinions are those of the author alone, and not those of an advertiser to the site nor of  The Military Wallet.