How to Get a Military ID Card – Eligibility, ID Card Facility Locator, Required Documents and More

Military ID Cards are available to current servicemembers, retirees, 100% disabled veterans, and their dependents. There are also Veterans ID cards from the VA. Learn how to replace your military ID Card.
Advertising Disclosure.

Advertiser Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone. This article may contain links from our advertisers. For more information, please see our Advertising Policy.

The Military Wallet has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. The Military Wallet and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Some or all of the card offers that appear on The Military Wallet are from advertisers. Compensation may impact how and where card products appear, but does not affect our editors’ opinions or evaluations. The Military Wallet does not include all card companies or all available card offers.

How to Get a Military ID Card
Table of Contents
  1. Military ID Card Eligibility
  2. How to Get a Replacement Military ID Card or Dependent ID Card
  3. Documents Needed to Obtain a Military ID Card
    1. Primary Identity Source Document List
    2. Secondary Identity Source Document List
  4. Information Found on Military ID Cards
  5. Veterans ID Card Information
  6. Veterans ID Cards – Two Types
    1. Veterans ID Cards
    2. Veteran Health Identification Cards
  7. Other Ways to Prove Military Service
    1. Your DD 214 Will Prove Military Service
  8. How You Can Get a Different ID Card to Prove Military Service

A military ID card or dependent ID is a valuable card that can unlock a variety of valuable benefits, such as health care through TRICARE, education benefits, and access to base facilities, including the commissary, base exchange, MWR centers and other support agencies.

Unfortunately, getting a military ID card isn’t always as easy as waltzing onto your local military installation and requesting one. Only certain individuals are eligible to receive a military ID card or dependent ID card. We’ll cover those details and more in the article.

What about a veteran ID card?

Great question. There are veteran ID cards that can also be used to unlock certain veterans benefits, gain base access for certain activities and more.

In this article, we will cover information about some of the forms of military ID that are available, who is eligible to receive one and alternative forms of identification to prove military service if you are a military veteran who is not eligible for a military ID card.

Military ID Card Eligibility

Note: In general, you must be in the DEERS system to receive a new military ID card. This includes the servicemember (sponsor) and eligible dependents (who must be entered into DEERS by the sponsor).

You are usually eligible to receive a military ID if you are currently serving in the military (active duty, Guard, Reserve, or Inactive Ready Reserve), or you are a military retiree. Qualified dependents are eligible for dependent ID cards as well.

Finally, certain veterans are eligible for a military ID card if they are a Medal of Honor recipient, have a 100% disability rating, or in certain other limited circumstances.

Here are some general rules regarding military ID card eligibility. Check with your local issuing base personnel office for more specific information.

Active Duty ID card.

  • You must be on Active Duty military status and be in the DEERS system.

Guard/Reserve military ID card.

  • You must be in the Guard or Reserves, which may include the Inactive Ready Reserves (IRR).

Retiree military ID card.

  • You must qualify as a military retiree, which generally means 20 years of active military service, or 20 years in the Guard or Reserves (though age limits may change eligibility requirements for Guard/Reserve retirees). Medically retired servicemembers may also be eligible.
  • Gray Area retirees will receive a different military ID card until they reach age 60.

Former military / no longer serving, not retired.

  • Most former military members who did not retire are no longer eligible for a military ID card.
  • There are a few exceptions given to certain veterans who meet the following qualifications: Medal of Honor recipients, 100% disabled veterans, former members in receipt of retired pay, Transitional Health Care Member (TAMP), and some others. They will receive DD Form 2765.

Military dependent ID card.

  • These may include, but are not limited to: Lawful spouse, un-remarried surviving spouse, unmarried children (including adopted or stepchildren) who are: under 21 years of age, over 21 but incapable of self-support (documentation is required), over 21 but under 23 who are attending an approved learning institution as a full-time student (documentation is required).
  • There are additional eligibility rules for former spouses, dependent parents/in-laws, and certain other cases. Contact your card issuing service for additional information.

Veterans ID card.

  • See section below for most up to date information.

More types of Uniformed Services ID Cards.

How to Get a Replacement Military ID Card or Dependent ID Card

For more information about where to go, contact your local base personnel office, or visit the Rapids Site Locator (RSL) for ID card requirements and to locate the nearest ID Card Facility/RAPIDS Station based on city, zip, state or country. Here is a RAPIDS Appointment Scheduler user guide to help navigate the site and set up your ID card appointment.

Documents Needed to Obtain a Military ID Card

Applicants are required to provide at least two original forms of identification from the lists below. The ID must be current and not expired. At least one of the forms of ID must be from the primary identity source document list. You can use one form of ID from the Secondary Identity Source Document List. The member must have proof of name change if their name has changed.

These lists apply to military ID cards, retiree ID cards, and dependent ID cards.

Primary Identity Source Document List

  • US passport or US passport card
  • US drivers license or state-issued ID card, with photo
  • US military ID card
  • US military dependent’s card
  • Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form (I-551)
  • Foreign passport
  • Employment authorization document, with photo
  • Personal identity verification (PIV) card

Secondary Identity Source Document List

The secondary identity source document may be a form of ID from the list above, provided it is not the same type. For example, you cannot use two different passports from two different countries as your form of ID.

  • U.S. social security card
  • Birth certificate with official seal – Must be an original or certified copy issued by a state, county, municipal authority, possession or outlying possession of the United States
  • ID card issued by a federal, state or local government agency or entity; must have photograph
  • Voter’s registration card
  • U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card
  • Certificate of U.S. citizenship (Form N-560 or N-561)
  • Certificate of naturalization (Form N-550 or N-570)
  • U.S. citizen IF card (Form I-197)
  • Identification card for use of resident citizen in the United States (Form I-179)
  • Certification of birth abroad or certification of report of birth issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545 or Form DS-1350)
  • Temporary resident card (Form I-688)
  • Employment authorization card (Form I-688A)
  • Reentry permit (Form I-327)
  • Refugee travel document (Form I-571)
  • Employment authorization document issued by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
  • Employment authorization document issued by DHS, with photograph (Form I-688B)
  • Foreign ID with photograph
  • Driver’s license issued by a Canadian government entity
  • Native American tribunal document

Information Found on Military ID Cards

Military ID cards include the member’s name, affiliation (uniformed services), agency/department (branch of service), expiration date, rank, date of birth, DoD ID number, benefits number, and additional information found in the bar code, chip, and/or magnetic strip.

The DoD phased out the use of social security numbers on military ID cards and retiree ID cards starting in 2009. The DoD ID number is now the primary identifier.

Veterans ID Card Information

One of the most common questions we receive comes from veterans who are looking to get a veteran ID card that proves their military service.

There are many reasons why proof of military service can come in handy – including securing veterans benefits, proof of service for military discounts, or for personal records.

Thankfully, the VA offers two types of veterans ID cards, one for members with a service-connected disability rating, and a general veterans ID card for those who do not have a disability rating. The U.S. government created the Veterans Identification Card Act 2015 which authorizes the VA to issue veteran ID cards to all veterans with an honorable discharge. The VA began issuing these cards in November 2017.

Veterans ID Cards – Two Types

There are two types of veteran ID cards issued by the VA. The veteran ID card (VIC) and the ID card are used for health care services.

Veterans ID Cards

The VA began issuing official DoD-issued military veteran ID cards to veterans with an honorable discharge starting November 2017.

Please note these veteran ID cards are not military ID cards. They simply show you served honorably in the U.S. Military, and will not function to provide military benefits, base access, or other veterans’ benefits. If you served in the military and have since separated from, but didn’t retire from the military, you may not be eligible for a military ID card.

Veterans must have an honorable discharge to be eligible for this new Veterans ID card. Learn more about how to upgrade your military discharge characterization.

Veteran Health Identification Cards

department of veterans affairs id card

The VA also issues veteran health identification cards for veterans who are in the VA medical system.

Many veterans believe they need to be receiving service-connected disability benefits in order to be eligible for VA health care benefits. This is not the case. All veterans are potentially eligible, based on different criteria, including when and where they served, whether or not they have a service-connected health condition, if they were discharged for medical reasons, served in a war zone, recently returned from an overseas deployment, or other conditions. Each situation is unique and each veteran should contact the VA to determine their eligibility status.

Update: Beginning on January 1, 2020, veterans with a VA Health Identification Card are eligible to access military installations to use the Base Exchange, Commissary, and certain MWR activities.

Other Ways to Prove Military Service

A military ID card is an official way to prove your military affiliation. But some people prefer not to pull their ID card out in public. And of course, many veterans wish to show proof of service but are no longer eligible for a military ID Card. In those cases, you need a different way to prove your military service.

Your DD 214 Will Prove Military Service

The easiest way to prove your military service without one of the above ID cards is with a DD Form 214, which is the document that serves as your service record. This is issued to all military members when they separate from military service (the military used to issue a wallet-sized DD Form 214, but so far as I know, this is no longer the case).

Unfortunately, carrying around a letter-size document is inconvenient. One tip we have received from many veterans is to take your DD Form 214 to an office supply store such as Office Depot, Office Max, Fed-Ex/Kinkos, etc., and ask them to shrink the card to a wallet-size version and have it laminated. This will give you a wallet-sized document that will prove your service.

Note: Your DD Form 214 is one of the most important documents you will receive, so keep good care of it! Here are more details on the DD Form 214, including how to get a new DD 214.

If you do not have access to the above veterans ID card options, you may still be able to prove your military service in other ways.

How You Can Get a Different ID Card to Prove Military Service

Unfortunately, a DD Form 214 isn’t a photo ID, it is simply a document. Thankfully there are many other ways to prove your military service.

If you are looking for a photo ID or other wallet-sized ID to prove your military service, then these may be good options for you:

State Driver’s License or ID Card.

State or County Veterans ID Card program.

  • Some counties or other communities issue veteran ID cards. These aren’t “official US or state government IDs,” but they may be valuable in the local community, as many restaurants and retailers will extend discounts as a “thanks for your service.” These cards may also be good for local or county benefits programs, but these vary by locale.

Veterans Service Organization Membership Card.

  • Many veterans service organizations such as the DAV, VFW, American Legion, and other organizations have membership cards. Check with your local military organization for eligibility requirements.

Do you know of any other forms of ID that can be used to prove military service? If so, please contact us. We will add it to the list.

VA ID Card photo source: WikiMedia Commons

About Post Author

Get Instant Access
FREE Weekly Updates! Enter your information to join our mailing list.

Reader Interactions


    Leave A Comment:


    About the comments on this site:

    These responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

  1. Audrey Hewitt says

    I served active duty USAR. I received an honorable discharge. My Military ID was stolen. My state would not provide me with a replacement. I had to go all the way to Texas and was able to get an ID; which was subsequently stolen. The base in my city denied replacing my ID, and claimed they could not find where I have ever had an ID. I told them I had had 2 IDs in the past and they wanted to know why I needed one. They were just downright uncooperative. How in the world do I get my ID?

    • Ryan Guina says

      Audrey, you are only eligible for a military ID if you are currently serving or if you are a military retiree. Otherwise, you are not eligible for a military ID card. You may be able to obtain a Veterans ID card from the Department of Veterans Affairs, or a driver’s license with a Veterans designation. Either of these cards can prove your military service and veterans status. Best wishes.

  2. billy w hammond says

    Billy Hammond
    i need Veteran ID Card I served 24 years in north carolina national guard active duty with ahonbale discharge ihave my DD214 and have my discharge paper i lost my card

  3. Darryl Swearingen says

    I need a Veteran ID Card……I served 3 years active duty with an Honorable Discharge…..I have my DD 214 and my discharge papers…..I am 78 years old……how can I get one……Thank You……

  4. Bernadene Edwards says


    • Ryan Guina says

      Hello Bernadene, the military does not issue military ID cards to non-retired military members unless they have a 100% service-connected disability rating. However, you may be eligible to obtain an ID card through the VA. I recommend contacting your local Department of Veterans Affairs for more information. Best wishes!

  5. Sheila Bush Kirkland says

    The information found on this site has helped my husband (Veteran) in so many ways. It helps to educate and obtain so many benefits that we were unaware of. I’m sure many people find the information valuable!
    Thank you so much Ryan.

  6. David Hiester, LT Col USAF Ret says

    I am a military retiree with a dependent wife with “INDEFINITE” ID cards issued 29 July 2018.
    Understand from online sources that our ID cards expire March, 2021?????
    Reside near Dallas TX but cannot find open card renewal location using RAPIDS
    Will our Tricare for Life medical coverage end March, 2021?

  7. Glenn Bisignani says

    I’m a 100% disabled Vietnam veteran. I have a paper document from I guess eBenefits that’s for use in obtaining commissary store and exchange privileges from the Armed Forces. I can see this piece of paper just gertting dirty, torn, etc. I want to apply for an ID card and I’m thinking I should get a CAC card. The first step says I must be sponsored by a DoD government official or employee. Everywhere I go online (DEERS, etc) I get stopped for some reason. Can you tell me where I start and how I get sponsored ?


    • TJ LaTorre says

      Hi Glenn,
      If you havent already taken care of this, you will need to make an appointment with RAPIDS.

      You will need bring a copy of your 100% rating information off ebenefits and 2 forms of ID. That should be enough for you to get the ID card.

  8. Richard Behymer says

    Great service! My father volunteered for the
    Marines in WWII, and served in the FirstMarine Division the the South Pacific. His first “action” was on Pelileu (?sp) Island. He was honorably discharged in 1945.
    How can I get documentation of his service?

  9. Kat says

    Hello. Husband received a 100% P&T vetera. disability rating. Would he be eligible for a military id card even though his discharge was general under honorable conditions? I can’t find a definite answer anywhere. I know it requires honorable discharge but wondering if his counts? Thank you.

    • Ryan Guina says

      Hello Kat, Veterans with a 100% VA service-connected disability rating are eligible for an ID card that will allow them to access the base for the commissary and Exchanges. You will need to contact your local military installation for more information regarding obtaining an ID card.

  10. James Urban says

    I am a vet of the Kansas National Guard We were called to active duty in 1968 I served my full 6 years and was honorable discharged I was on active duty a total o f 2 years counting 6months basic . Am I elgiable to use commasary and PX privilages on the Air Force base here in Wichita Kan.? And what ID do I need? I have no kind of Military ID

  11. Paul Shega says

    I am a military retiree (retired from active duty) who turned 65 years old on 28 December 2019. My military ID card has an expiration date of 2019NOV30 on the front side. On the back side it also has an expiration date in the medical column of 2019NOV30. I am still working and have great medical insurance from my employer and have not applied for Medicare Part B. Do I need to renew my ID card to change the expiration date on the front now.? Or do I wait to retire from my civilian job and get Medicare Part B? I understand my Tricare is suspended until I apply for Medicare Part B.

    • Ryan Guina says

      Hello Paul,

      I would go ahead and renew your ID card now – you won’t be able to access the military installation without renewing your ID card. And you may find that you need to use the ID card for some unexpected reason. 

      In short, there is no downside to updating your ID card, but there is an upside. I’d just go ahead and do it.

      Best wishes.

  12. Jody says

    My husband is 100% disabled through the DAV. He has his 100% unemployment rate. We are currently on vacation in FL. He needs to get his military id. He has the paperwork from the VA stating he is 100% disabled. But doesn’t have a copy of his DD214 here. Can he still get his military retired ID?

    • Ryan Guina says

      Hello Jody, He should contact the closest military installation for more information. They can help him know which papers are needed to obtain an ID card. I wish you and your family the best.

  13. Andrew Swartz says

    Good day I like to know if i can get a CAC Card. My Dad die 11 years ago. I am working on getting his DD214.

    • Ryan Guina says

      Hello Andrew, I am sorry for your loss. CAC cards are only issued to military servicemembers. Qualified dependents may be issued a Military Dependent ID Card. To be a qualified dependent, you would have to be in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) as a dependent and meet age requirements. Because your father is no longer serving, he would have had to have been retired from the military at the time of his passing and you would still need to be the qualified dependent of his spouse, provided she has not remarried and is still eligible for a dependent ID card. And again, you would need to be within the age limits. This DoD website has more information. Best wishes.

      • Edward R. says

        If I may, I’d like to jump in on this topic and ask a follow-up question; do you know if there are any plans to change the ID for veterans who are 100%P&T from the old style military(as it was when I was in) to a CAC style ID? The current ID works well for me for base and PX access, but I just thought the ID was behind the times as far as the technology and all.

  14. Jeremy says

    Can my domestic partner get a military ID? We both have kids and they are receiving financial aid. The reason we did the domestic partner route is if we get married, the children loss the financial aid due to our combined income. Please advise. Thank you

    • Ryan Guina says

      Hello Jeremy, This is outside my area of expertise. This is a question for your base personnel office or base Pass & ID office. They can help you better understand your options. Best wishes to you and your family.

  15. Shannon N Cown says

    My father is a retired Vet. His rank is LP officer AO1 Cown still works on base at Nas Jax. Im 28 yrs old and he told me that i can still get my Id military because im his child that is my benefit for life one of the perks. I was also born at Nas jax base. But where and how do i get my military id if i go by myself and he doesnt come with me plus what all do i need to bring with me besides my Driver’s licenses?

    • Ryan Guina says

      Hello Shannon, Under most circumstances, children are no longer eligible to have a military dependent ID card once they reach age 21, unless they are attending full-time college, in which case the cut off is age 23. There are some exceptions for dependents who require additional care.

      You can learn more on this government website, or contact your base Pass & ID office for more information. DEERS Enrollment & ID Card Issuance (DoD resource).

      I wish you the best.

  16. Kathy Brown says

    My ID expired in July of this year. I am a widow. My question is if I go to a military base will I be able to enter with an expired ID?The closest facility to me is Canon AFB in New Mexico. It’s 2 hours from where I live.

  17. Melissia Pletcher says

    I would just like to comment on the Veterans that have the military discount, but never use them because they are doing fine. They feel like is degrading to them. This Country wants to thank you for ur service and with the state of confusion that we find ourselves in u r reaching and audience of many that may be standing by and here a young person that waited on you saying thank you for your service. We have many discounts offered to our professionals that choose to do something special like fighting for our countries freedom or as my husbands dedication to the education of college math students. He to is offered discounts and if you didn’t some where n ur life have a teacher that really loves what she or he does you wouldn’t be where you are today. I’m glad that you r doing so well, but you had lots of help and just remember that before you think u r above being thankful!

  18. John C. Michael says

    I am a disabled veteran at 100% and I would like to use the Commissary but they tell me I need a military ID card for my spouse and myself. Can you please help me I am 67 years old this month 8/27/52.

    • Ryan Guina says

      Hello John,

      You should be able to do so. Please read this information from the VA website,

      “Unlimited exchange and commissary store privileges in the United States are available to honorably discharged veterans with a service-connected disability rated at 100 percent, unremarried surviving spouses of members or retired members of the armed forces, recipients of the Medal of Honor, and their dependents and orphans. Certification of total disability is done by VA. Reservists and their dependents also may be eligible. Privileges overseas are governed by international law and are available only if agreed upon by the foreign government concerned. Though these benefits are provided by Department of Defense (DoD), VA does provide assistance in completing DD Form 1172, “Application for Uniformed Services Identification and Privilege Card.” For detailed information, contact the nearest military installation.

      If you have any further questions, you may call our toll-free number at 1-800-827-1000 and a Veterans Service Representative will be happy to assist you.” (source).

  19. Carol Walters says

    My military ID has expired as of April 22, 2019. I am the spouse of a retired Marine, who is 78 years old and in an assisted living facility. I called the office in Salem, Oregon, but they must have closed, because they do not have a working phone number. We are in the DEER system, and are insured through TriCare. How can I get my military ID card renewed? My husband can come with me now, but at some point, he will no longer be able to travel or communicate since he is in the later stages of Parkinson’s. I hope you can help me, because I don’t know where else to go. Thank you, Carol Walters

  20. John Johnson says

    Hello, I have a question about dependent status. im at 100% disability. I have legal guardianship and custody of my grandson (who lives with me 100%) can I get him a military ID and is he considered a dependent?.

    • Ryan Guina says

      Hello John, I am not sure how this works. I recommend contacting the VA or the closest military installation for more information.

      I wish you the best, and thank you for your service!

  21. Maria J Medrano says

    Howdy! Mr. Ryan Guina,
    Help Me! Help Us!
    Also I can Help Others with Your Information.
    Thank You For Your Time!
    Thank You For Everything!
    Yes! We want to Join Veterans Free Newsletters.
    Thank You,
    Maria J Medrano ( MaryJane)

  22. horace e neal says

    all i have is my official discharge from the reserves honorable, can i use this to get my va card

  23. Lisa says

    I currently have an installment loan (similar to payday loan) with all on time payments. I just got married to a reserve military person. I was going to go get my military ID tomorrow. Will I be able to get an ID with an installment loan currently open? When I took out the loan we were not married therefor not a dependent. I am still not “dependent” on him since I have my own income. Thoughts?

    • Ryan Guina says

      Hello Lisa,

      The term, Military Dependent, simply means to be part of the military member’s family as a spouse or dependent child. This means the military member can add his or her dependents to their benefits, such as medical care, housing, base access, etc.

      The term does not mean the dependent is completely reliant upon the military member for all financial reasons.

      I hope this answers your question.

  24. Michael G says

    I had a name change since being discharged 30 years ago from the army how do I get my veterans ID card

  25. Rita sanders says

    I was married for 24 year through the whole time my husband was deployed all over. Even though we are divorced now I was told I am still entitled to a spouses military I’d. Could you please let me know what I need to do to get one

  26. Susan says

    My husband is a 100% disabled veteran and has a military ID
    I have one as well.
    We plan to go on a bus trip to Canada this summer. The tour company told me we need passports. My question is do we need passports or is our Military ID enough?
    Also, we are flying to Phoenix in the fall. Is our Military ID enough to fly?

    Thank you

    • Ryan Guina says

      Hello Palacio, The VA has a limit to the number of months a single person can receive education benefits. I believe it is 48 months, but I recommend verifying this with the VA. So it may be possible to transfer a portion of the benefit to your wife, but I am not sure if you can transfer the entire amount.

      I would contact the VA for specific details.

      I wish you the best, and thank you for your service!

    • Ryan Guina says

      Hello Susan,

      You will need passports to travel out of the country. You can apply for passports at some US Post Offices. Visit the US Passport website for more information. I recommend doing this soon, as it can take a few weeks for the government to issue passports.

      You can travel on domestic flights with just a military ID. You can also use a drivers license or state-issued ID card.

      I wish you both the best!

      • Frank Douglas says

        You do not need a passport to go to Mexico or Canada for short visits. You need the new real ID though or a certified copy of your USA born birth certificate. Just recently crossed into Mexico from Douglas, AZ.

    • Frank Douglas says

      Just get a passport and be done with it. Rules about ID cards change but a passport remains the best identification.

  27. Lea says

    Does the hologram of the Dependent ID have to be on the front? When I got my ID reissued it was placed on the back of the ID.

    • Ryan Guina says

      Hello Lea, I don’t know for certain. I would contact your ID Card issuing office for confirmation. They should be able to provide this information. I wish you the best!

  28. Stephen Warren says

    I served 6 years in the Virginia Army National Guard and received an Honorable Discharge in 1974. Do I qualify for a Military or Veteran ID Card?

  29. Jeff Cox says

    I served 12 years in the AF. Separating in 1992. I was a Crew Chief. Everything from Tennitis, back issues, so on. My VA Rep printed out all of the documents to be signed by my doctor. Still he has yet to assist me. There is a VA med clinic within 20 miles of me. Is there an easier way to get my paperwork looked at any sooner? I’m loosing $ every month my issues aren’t verified. It sure would help. Thanks

    • Lucian T. Adams says

      Bring your DD214 to the DMV for your Driver license and license plate., stop calling the VA you will never get nothing done, actually go to a VA Medical Facility or VA Regional Office with your DD214 to enrollment for your VA I.D card it’s really not that big of a hassle and you will find out what benefits you have.

      • Ryan Guina says

        Hello Robin, You can contact the base Pass & ID office or personnel office to schedule an appointment. When you arrive, inform the gate guards that you have an appointment at a specific time. You may need to sign in at the security office. I would arrive early so you have time to sign in. You can also try calling the base ID card issuing office to see if they have specific local instructions (each base may do things slightly differently). Best wishes.

  30. Mike Foster says

    I’m a father of a Navy service member. Can I get a military I.d. without being his dependent. Meaning I don’t live with him.

    • Ryan Guina says

      Hello Mike, No, you cannot. You should be able to visit him on base if he sponsors you on base. Some bases may require that he to meet you at the gate for you to be able to enter the base. Best wishes!

  31. Jacob DeBose says

    Can a veteran who has been determined to be unemployable due to a disability get a military ID card that gives him access to the base and commissary and base exchange

    • Ryan Guina says

      Hello Jacob, According to the VA website,

      “Honorably discharged veterans with 100 percent service-connected disability, and their dependents and unremarried surviving spouses, are entitled to unlimited exchange and commissary store privileges. Certification of total disability and DD Form 1172, Application for Uniformed Services Identification Card – DEERS Enrollment, will be provided by VA. You may contact the nearest VA regional office for assistance.”

      I wish you the best, and thank you for your service!

  32. David Everson says

    I was told I don’t qualify to get dmv veteran status designation on my drivers license because I wasn’t activated while serving 6 years in the CA Army national guard. I served during the Gulf War 1988-1994 with an Honorable Discharge but my unit was never ‘activated’ during my service. I served active duty for over 7 months during boot camp/AIT as well as AFTPs for most of the 6 years of guard drills. Is the dmv designation ONLY for veterans “with benefits” or for ALL veterans (including veterans that don’t qualify for medical and other such benefits)?

    • Ryan Guina says

      Hello David, Each state sets their own requirements for eligibility for a veterans designation on a drivers license. Many states require active duty service. However, that often does not include activation for training purposes for Guard and Reserve members. (This is similar for many VA benefits as well).

      I can’t answer for the state of CA. You would need to contact the CA Department of Veterans Affairs. I wish you the best, and thank you for your service!

      • David Turner says

        You might also wish to consider contacting a VSO that specializes in National Guard matters.
        Some states have National Guard plates as well.
        Might take a look.

  33. Daniel McDonald says

    I am a retiree. I spent 6 years active, and 14 years National Guard. I’ve gone the last year without an I Dcardbecouse always am given a hard time getting it. The older man at the Ft Bliss I’D office wants me to come in at 8 AM, which is hard for me since I son’s drive and have a hard time sleeping at night!

  34. John Alberts says

    Nov. 17, 2018

    Here we are about 3 years after HR91 and we still are not able to get a vet card in S.C. I served in the Navy six years. I have never been able to get a discount at Lowes or Home Depot despite they advertise that all vets get a discount. i participated in the Bay of Pigs, the Cuban blockade, the evacuation of our embassy at port of Prince when president Kennedy and Papa Doc collided. A friend of mine who served in the US only, but qualified for the medical Vet. I. D., went to Applebys on Vets day. He got a free meal, my DD 214 got me a bill. They thanked him for his service,I got a stare for fraudulently trying to get a free meal. But this goes along with the two medals presented to me and later taken back because “It didn’t happen”. What a system this country has. John Alberts

    • Sam the man says

      hey john i been waiting over two months to get my id card and it still just saying pending. i decided to take another route becuase i found out that you can have your veteran status added on you driver license in most states. It did cost me thirty buck for the reprint of my driver’s license but it only took over a week. Check with your State DMV and VA office and give it a try. Good Luck.

    • Jimmy McCrillis says

      As a 20-year veteran of the US Army, let me throw in my two ¢. I have never asked for a discount at a business because I am a veteran. I do not consider myself better than those that didn’t serve and to be perfectly honest, I am a bit embarrassed anytime I hear someone ask for a veteran discount.

      It was an honor to serve. If a business wants to donate to a veterans charity of their own free will, good for them. I am not a charity.

      • Tony says

        Sorry some of us have had a hard time of it. And we are very poor. So a free meal for us is very nice. You probably have enough to get by. My house got broken in to a few years ago and all my papers got taken. Now the government is having problems finding my info? So l guess l am stuck?

      • MSgt Gonzalez USMC says


        Your comment, “I never ask for a military discount” and “I do not consider myself better than those that didn’t serve”. So, do you consider yourself better than those you served with? Good to know that a former fellow service member is doing so great. Please remember, as a leader you are supposed to help others rise not put them down. Didn’t 20 years of service teach you that?

        Proud former and active duty military members keep asking for a military discount, you deserve it. Remember these organizations are happy and willing to offer them to you for the sacrifice you made to this country.

      • Hitech says

        I am also a Retired and couldnt agree with you more. My wife shops on base. I alway felt safe knowing she was on base shopping.
        No VA discounts there.

      • Frank Douglas says

        That’s really a bad attitude you have. Some of us wanted to stay in for 20 years or more but health or a colonel here and there got in the way. So you have a retirement which is fine but that is not true for all. I feel it is a duty to serve in the armed forces not something special but it is nice to be recognized for voluntarily doing it on three separate occasions by a discount here and there. I would think someone that was in the military for 20 years would have learned to care about others, you know, like teamwork, but you got yours and could careless about others. So shame on you as you did not learn a thing.

      • David Turner says


        You said “If a business wants to donate to a veterans charity of their own free will, good for them. I am not a charity.”
        They don’t feel you are either.

        Look at it from a businesses perspective. Do they have to? No. Plenty do not. So why might they? They feel required? No, again many don’t. So why might it be then that they offer and even advertise this?

        It’s promotional. They are using it to sell us on their brand vs some other brand. It’s a marketing technique, and as long as they are offering it, the products are similar in quality, and the value is appropriate, I may choose one place over another.

        It’s not a charity. It’s a business.

        It’s called critical thinking.
        Try that instead of belittling your brother and sisters next time.

    • Shannon says

      For lowes just go online.. they ask to have your dd 214 uploaded and then your in. Its linked by your lowes card and your phone number…

  35. Brenda Daniel says

    My husband was honorably discharged in 1996. On his dd214 they put his ss # wrong. His first 3 numbers are different on the back. Forp example the front says 123-45-6789 and the back ssys 234-56-7890. His first wife tried to get it fixed and never succeeded. Please help. He is proud of his service and but has never recieved any benefits from his service and I believe he deserves at the very least a discount at Whataburger. Thank you for any help you can give him.

  36. Elizabeth Brackins says

    My husband is a DAV and as such has a DAV military issued ID. In order to receive military discounts, some businesses require the customer to present a valid military ID. As his dependent do I qualify to receive a dependent ID that can be used for discounts at these businesses? If so, how do we go about obtaining the dependent ID for me?

  37. Don julio says

    So I was told I am not considered a veteran because I was an Army National Guard member for my full 8 year contract with an Honorable Discharge but did not qualify to recieve a Veteran stamp on my licence …..why??? I guess serving my country and making sacrifices part time is not good enough for this distinction ?….

  38. Sue says

    My husband was a retired military member. He passed away in 2010 at age 57. We were married for 37 yrs. He retired from the military in 1995 with 22 yrs in service.

    I know I lose my medical care. But can I still get military ID card for the exchange if I get remarried since I’m over age 62? I still get widows pay. If I get remarried and my Medicare is under his social security number, but I’m not sure about my military ID card.

  39. Calvin says

    I have a civilian CAC card and just got approved for 100 disability rating do you know if need an additional CAC card (showing rating) or will they just update my DEERS information on my civilian ID? Thanks in advance

    • Ryan Guina says

      Hello Calvin, Thank you for your question. You would need a new ID card to reflect your military status. The military and civilian ID cards are separate and not in the same database. I wish you the best, and thank you for your service!

  40. John says

    I’ve got a 100% disabled blue card. I went to Lackland AFB to renew it, not knowing it was already expired. I’m now in Cambodia. The military authorities took it from me at the gate. I cannot enter a military installation to renew it unless I have that card, yet am permanently designated as 100% disabled. What to do and where to go?

    • Ryan Guina says

      John, You should be able to schedule a visit at the Pass & ID center. They will allow you to enter the base to obtain a new ID card. Call ahead and ask about the process. Be sure to bring all required ID. I wish you the best, and thank you for your service!

  41. Kristin Alberts says

    My ID is going to expire I need to update my daughters also but my husband is in jail I have a power of attorney is that enough

  42. Eric says

    Hi, I’m not sure if this was addressed in another post, but website specifically says that a VIC can be issued to those with Honorable as well as General(under honorable conditions) categorizations. Is that statement correct?

  43. dbs says

    I’m about to head to the DMV to get “veteran” stated on my drivers license. I don’t have my DD214, but I do have my Veterans Identification Card. Can I present that instead of my DD214?

  44. V. JOHNSON says

    What if you lost your ID years ago and never really thought about it until now. I’m talking 20 years ago. Would it be possible to get a replacement? Even if you do not know if another person has used your old card in the pass? I mean how could they right, wouldn’t they need to look like me?

  45. Ralph P says

    I was a member of the NHANG from August of 1957 to August of 1963. At that time I was activated until August of 1964. Since my discharge I have been attempting to obtain a portable ID to keep in my wallet to prove that I am a Veteran.

    I am not seeking free service related assistance such as health benefits, simply something stating that I am a Veteran. Why is this so difficult.

    I now hear that there is a VIC card available or that will be available soon. Why will a cost be involved with these cards? Health benefit cards have always been available, which cause much greater overall expenses to the government.

  46. Mario Isaac says

    When my husband came home from the military he went to for Hamilton to request an ID card and they told home he was not eligible for one. We don’t know. We don’t understand why he has an honorable discharge.

    • Ryan Guina says

      Hello Mario, The military does not issue ID cards to veterans who are no longer serving and did not retire. The government passed a law authorizing Veterans ID cards, but the VA has not yet begun issuing those ID cards at this time (mid-2017). I will update our website when the VA begins issuing these ID cards to all veterans. In the mean time, you can prove military service through a Veterans ID Card if eligible, with a state issued drivers license or ID card, or with a membership card from a Veterans Service organization.

  47. Laura Wilson says

    I specifically need to get a new Retired Military Photo ID card (with new photo taken since mine is too many years old.) Can I just go on to the Philadelphia Naval Base and get one there, since that’s the nearest place to my home?? Please give me phone number of the Military ID office that handles that on base so I can make an appointment for a new photo & card. Thank you.

  48. Marc says

    Hello, I served 7 years in the US Army and got out with an Honorable discharge. Regular ETS in 1999. I’ve recently was rated 100% for service connected disabilities by the VA in 2017. Am I eligible for an ID DD form 2765? Are my dependents eligible for a card?
    Thank you in advance and sorry if someone already asked this.

  49. Timiko says

    Hello, My fiancé retired two years ago, served 26 years in the navy and retired as a Master Chief. We have a son who is 5 years old and recently has been diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder and a few other diagnosis. With my son’s speech impairment he has to attend speech therapy, occupational therapy and other doctor appointments on base. We are not married, but sometimes my fiancé is not able to make our son’s appointments at the Navy Hospital in Portsmouth, Virginia. When I go to the gate with my son’s military i.d. and my drivers license, we get turned away because I am not the sponsor. How do I go about getting an i.d. for me to be able to take my son to his medical appointments at the hospital or on base?

    • Ryan Guina says

      Hello Timiko, Thank you for contacting me. I’m not certain what the process is for getting base access in this situation. I recommend contacting the base Pass & ID office to see if they have a formal process that will allow you to escort your son onto base for medical appointments. Most bases have a program that allows for caretakers and parents to escort military members or dependents onto base. I wish you the best!

  50. Timmy Hunt says

    I was in the National Guard. I have my DD 214 document. Just wondering about the military discounts and them requiring a military ID. How does he get one?

  51. Jay L. Wilson says

    Am I eligible for a veteran card?
    I was 10 months in USMC Reserves, went active duty, General Discharge after 30 days.

  52. chris says

    hello I am a active soldier and I’m getting 100% service connected va disability, but I’m not being retired medically from the army. my questions are
    do I get a blue card since I’m 100% total permanent disable by the va?
    how do I get one and how my wife and kids get an id?
    and with the blue card, what benefits I get ?

    thank you

  53. Sp5 David Turner says

    I took my DD214 to Home Depot but they would not accept that as proof of being a Veteran. I understand the availability of obtaining a Veterans I D card is on hold until further notice. 50 yrs ago my life was put on hold so I could serve my country. But now no discounts. Where if possible could I get my I D card?

  54. Anthony.C says

    My dad was stationed here in Germany in 1996. In 1999 he had already been in the army for 22 years and Hit SFC (E7). He was then court-martialed and sent to jail in America, leaving my mom and us four kids here in Germany. We were basically stripped of all privileges and benefits. Is there anyway for us to re-obtain an id card? Or did he just ruin it all for the whole family?

    • Ryan Guina says

      Hello Anthony, Thank you for contacting me. Military ID cards are only for the member. Dependent ID cards are available for qualified military ID card holders.

      This situation is unique, and the answer for dependent ID cards will depend on a variety of criteria. The most important question to answer is whether or not your father is still eligible for a military ID card. He would be if he is a qualified military retiree. He may not be if his court-martial rescinded those rights.

      That will be the basis for determining eligibility for everyone else. I can’t answer those questions. You will need to contact the local base and ask to speak with someone in the Personnel or Pass & ID section. You will need them to be able to access the DEERS system and help you find out if anyone in your family is eligible for an ID Card.

      They will have to ask you questions, and your family’s eligibility would depend on other factors, such as whether or not your mother was still married to him (or how old she was if she remarried), the age of the children, and other factors. In general, children are only eligible up to age 21 (or up to 23 if attending college full-time; they also lose eligibility when they marry).

      Anyway – there are several factors that could affect the answer. So the best thing to do is contact a base personnel or ID card issuing station and inquire. They will be able to verify. I wish you the best.

  55. John Thomas says

    Hello I am a retired veteran I am Divorced from my first wife but have remarried can my new wife get an ID card.

    • Ryan Guina says

      Hello John,

      Thank you for contacting me. Yes, I believe your new wife should be eligible for an ID card. You will need to contact your local military ID Card issuing office and ask them which forms you need to bring to verify her eligibility. This will most likely include two forms of ID and your marriage certificate. But call ahead to verify the required documents, and set up an appointment.

      I wish you the best, and thank you for your service!

  56. Bernard Lofft says

    Hello, Ryan,
    Thank you for your service and compiling all this information.

    However, I cannot access the websites to which you refer because of the following message which is returned from every link:

    There is a problem with this website’s security certificate.

    The security certificate presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate authority.

    Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.

    We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.

    Recommended iconClick here to close this webpage.

    Not recommended icon

    More information More information

    Since I am working from a public access/controlled computer, I cannot bypass this block.
    Could you publish the complete http:// e-dress so I can make a direct connection from my browser?
    Thanks very much.


    • Ryan Guina says

      Hello Bernard, Thank you for contacting me. Some government websites use certificates that aren’t recognized by certain browsers. Unfortunately, this is out of my control – all I can do is link to the website.

      Here are the government links from this article: types of Uniformed Services ID Cards (, Rapids Site Locator (

      There isn’t anything else I can do on my end. Perhaps you can try using a different browser if there is one on the computer you are using. Another option would be to ask the customer service where you are using the computer to see if there is anything they can do. I wish you the best, and thank you for your service!

  57. Marc M Sevy says

    Dear Sirs
    Is it possible to obtain a Veteran’s Card if served in an army allied to the USA? Example, French or IDF (Israeli Defence Forces)? Understood that the bearer will NOT be entitled to ALL benefits but perhaps the minor benefits as in discounts and free admission to wherever. It various occasions, I was asked for the card but couldn’t produce one.

    • Andy says

      I am a little disappointed no one answered this question! I also served 10 years with the allied forces with the British Army and was wondering the same as Marc. Any answer would be greatly received.


  58. Cynthia says

    I was TDRL for almost a year and the Army kicked me out with Severance Pay. Now 10 years later and 90% VA disabled, they just mailed me a letter saying I just been (PDRL)permanent disabled retired at 30%. Never knew I was getting boarded again. Anway, can I take this letter to the ID card section at the Navy base to get an ID card now. The paper, with no contact no, said give them months concerning the pay etc. The pay is less than my disability compensation and DEFAS says I am not eligible for Concurrent & not combat related. IT happeNed after our OIF 1 mission. Can I start the ball rolling or wait for them to do what, so I ca get my ID card. I didn’t serve 20, only 16 years active Army.


    • Victor says

      What is this 90% VA disabled stuff. can see this is some two years latter still could help someone else. With 80% or more one can apply for 100% unemployable due to service connected disability and get a much better monthly award. around $3,000 per mo.

  59. Sandra bell says

    I have a question… I have custody of my granddaughter and I have papers drew up by my soninlaws military unit. She is in the Deers system as a dependent of his. I would love to be able to get an ID card so she can take advantage of her benefits also while her parents are in Tacoma Washington. Could someone please tell me how or if I can do that. Thank you

    • Ryan Guina says

      Hello Sandra, Thank you for contacting me. Your local DEERS location should be able to give you information required for getting her an ID card. They can also provide information regarding how you can accompany her to on-base appointments if necessary. You can use the RAPIDS Site Locator to find the closest ID card issuing location. I hope this points you in the right direction.

  60. Sheryl says

    If a person serves 3 years and medically discharged due to COPD with a small VA monthly check at less than 100% disability, then turns 65 and becomes 100% disabled, are they entitled to a military ID with ALL benefits at age 65 if they have never had one prior? (Including commissary, BX, Deers, space available travel, etc.) Do they only get VA benefits?

  61. Nicole says

    Hello Ryan,

    my Dad is a retired military veteran. He lives in Kansas, I stayed in Germany. I would like to become a USO volunteer in K-Town, Germany, but I was told I would need a military ID card or someone who would sign me on to the base everytime I would come to shift or an event. Do you know if there is any chance to get an ID card for that purpose ? Maybe for temporary or limited use ? Thank you very much !

    • Ryan Guina says

      Hello Nicole, Thank you for contacting me. You can only obtain a dependent ID card if you are of an eligible age and you are in the DEERS system. You can learn more here: How to Register a Family Member in DEERS.

      If you are of an eligible age, then you will need to coordinate with your father to make sure your information is current in the DEERS system. If you are no longer of an eligible age, then you will need to coordinate with your local base to see if they have a program that will allow you to have base access in order to volunteer at the USO. Or you may have to get signed on each time you visit. Try contacting the base visitors center for more information. I hope this points you in the right direction, and thank you for your volunteer work for the military community!

  62. Candi Foos says

    My son is 21 and his wallet was stollen. How can we get his dependent card replaced without a picture ID? He needs his ID for his Tricare

    • Ryan Guina says

      Hello Candi, Thank you for contacting me. He should contact the closest military ID card station. Here is the RAPIDS Locator. He should also file a police report and contact his banks and any other agencies to report his stolen credit/debit cards, drivers license, etc. I hope this helps.

  63. Melanie Wright says

    My grandfather uses his military ID for everything. It is laminated and probably has been since he retired in the 70s. He tried using it today and was told it was invalid because it was laminated. Is this true?? Does lamination make his military ID invalid??

    • Ryan Guina says

      Hello Melanie, Thank you for contacting me. I don’t know if a laminated ID card is invalid. My recommendation is to have your grandfather visit a military base or ID card location where he can have a new military ID card issued. Call ahead to determine which forms of identification are required. The ID card location will be able to provide that information. You can use the RAPIDS locator to find the closest ID card station to his location. I wish you the best!

  64. Keshia says

    I served 10 years. I was a Staff Sergeant when I was honorable discharge due to medical problems service connected. Is there anyway that my dependents can get a dependent id card.

  65. Jeffrey Wernz says

    I am retired military from cincinnati. If I should need a new ID Card is there anyway to get it in Cincy rather than make a trip to Wright Patterson AFB?

  66. August says


    Thank you for the informative post!

    If I am a member of the Inactive Ready Reserves, is my spouse entitled to a dependent ID?

    Best regards,

    • Ryan Guina says

      Hello August, To be honest, I’m not certain. My initial belief is that she would not be eligible for a dependent ID card if you are in the IRR. I had to surrender my dependent ID card when my wife separated from active duty and went into the IRR. But I would definitely verify this. Try contacting DEERS or any ID card issuing location for verification.

      • August says


        Thank you for the reply! Much appreciated! Just an update for anyone that comes across your site with the same question. We visited the DEERS office at CENTCOM here in Miami and they did issue my spouse a dependent I.D. The representative stated that dependents of IRR individuals are eligible.

        Again, thank for all the helpful content on your site! Always much appreciated!

        Best regards,

  67. Stephanie says

    My husband was in the National Guard. I have his DD 214 document. I was just talking to someone about military discounts and them requiring a military ID. How does he get one?

  68. Monique says

    My ex husband is in the air force currently stationed in Minnesota. We don’t keep in contact as much either. We have a 8 yr old son together and he needs his card renewed ASAP! He needs it for medical purposes. How do I go about getting him a new card if I’m no longer a dependent?? It’s so hard to get on base here at fort Jackson sc.

  69. Vanessa says

    I want to know how do I get a veteran ID card and where in the state of NC . What I need to get a VA loan. I filled out the forms for eligibility and have not gotten anything back yet. So tell me what to do need want to purchase a home.

    • Victor says

      If the veteran signs up onto “” you can generate a letter that says you are eligible for a VA home purchase. for California there is also a “Cal Vet Loan” which is from the California Veterans Administration, the latter is not part of the VA.
      you will be able to do many things just have to learn your way around. Tip for all keep your pass word written down somewhere safe incase you forget it. you will not want to get yourself locked out of your log-in page. write all your info down such as the info you will need to get back into your Log-in

  70. Paul says

    Lowe’s in West Virginia will honor only a VA medical benefits card. The veteran designation on the drivers’ license and even a copy of a DD-214 will not pass. More than likely, if you’re a Cold War vet, you’re going to be out of luck – almost like you didn’t serve at all in Lowe’s eyes.

  71. SANG PARK says

    I have served as an Army Reservist from 1994 to 2002.
    I used to carry the military photo ID but I lost the card and I don’t have it anymore.

    Where can I get reissued for photo ID?
    I am not in active duty nor Veteran. What catagory do I fit in?
    I have DD-214 on hand but some places, you need to have a military photo ID.

    Please help.

    Thank you

  72. Jes says

    Maybe a little related.. I am separated with an honorable discharge, can I go back and visit a base? I’m asking because we use to be stationed in Germany and may be traveling back to that area sometime.

    • Ryan Guina says

      Jes, US military bases are not generally open to the public, even veterans with an honorable discharge. That said, some bases will offer tours on a limited basis if you schedule it in advance or have a specific purpose for the visit. This is not standard for every base and varies depending on the mission, security level at the time of request/visit, and other factors. You would need to contact the base public affairs office to see if this is possible and for more info. If you know someone who is currently stationed on the base, you may be able to have them sponsor you on and give you a tour. But otherwise, you can’t just show up at a base and go for a visit. I hope this is helpful.

    • Ken says

      Many of the bases in Germany have closed. My last visit in Jan 2013 had most of K-town, Heidelberg, Mannhiem, Stugart, Wertzburg all shutting down. So sad seeing the K-town PX/BX leveled to a dirt parking lot. Most everything left is moving to Ramstein.

  73. Daniel Sampson says

    HR91 was passed by Congress in July and signed into law by the President. It took effect on September 20, 2015. Its purpose is to provide identification for prior military that didnt stay in until retirement. I contacted my V.A. in Pa. but was promptly sent to a voicemail. I dont expect a call back…we all know the V.A. trys to wait you out until you either pass on or give up so I am not sure what the process entails beyond contacting them. hopoe this helps guys. Semper Fi!!

  74. Stan P says

    Hey, I served in the USAFR 17 yrs. I have a DD-214. Served time overseas. During that time I never claimed any medical benefits. Am I eligible for a Veteran ID card?

  75. Naomi says

    Hi…my dad was a logistics officer for the department of defends for 30 years but has been retired for thirty years and I’m 28 and no longer a dependent….. my boyfriend now is stationed in Italy. And I’m going to see him over thanksgiving ….is there any way I can get a temp military id card for a week so I could stay with him? I would never and would not want to take advantage of the system but we are bog married yet and I would only really need it for five days

    • Ryan Guina says

      Naomi, Thank you for contacting me. You won’t need a military ID to visit him. He should be able to sign you on to the base so you can visit. You would most likely need to be escorted on the base with him or he would have to meet you at the gate if you weren’t entering at the same time. Have him call his Pass & ID office or base visitor’s office for specific information on how to get signed onto base.

  76. Rehanna clements says

    My Dad is a veteran, and have his VA Card, My question is could i get a Military ID card to recieve Military discounts, being his dependent? if so, how?

    • Ryan Guina says

      Rehanna, Thank you for contacting me. The only way to get a Military ID card is to be a member of the military. There are military dependent ID cards for qualified dependents. To qualify for a military dependent ID card, your father must still be a current military member or retiree, and you must be a qualified dependent (usually age 18 or under, or up to age 21 if you are still attending college). If this does not apply, then you would be ineligible for a Military dependent ID card. I hope this helps answer your question.

      • Mike says

        Why would this stop when you reach a certain age. If anything as our service members get older this might help facilitate care from family members. My father gave almost 40 years. I wish I could do more running for him but can’t because I am older than 30 and can’t get an ID card as a defendant to help

      • Ryan Guina says

        Mike, you may not be able to access the base by yourself, but you would be able to accompany your father to the base to visit the medical facilities, Commissary, Exchange, pharmacy, etc. There may be exceptions for caretakers, but I’m not 100% certain how that would work, or if it is possible. You would need to contact the base to see if that is something that can be done. I wish you and your father the best.

    • Roxanne Chace says

      Mike you can get a sponsor ID to get on base. You would need a doctors note stating you need to pick up meds at the pharmacy, I do this for my mom. I had no problem getting my Spinsor ID.
      I hope this helped!

  77. Kris McLamb says

    How do handle this issue:
    Dependent Child turns 21 Aug 6th, school does not officially start till Aug 31. Pass & ID gave new ID card dated the start date of school. Dependent has been enrolled for this fall semester since April……
    Dependent went to ER on Aug 7th.
    How/why would military not cover dependent for the month of Aug. Do you know who do we contact???
    Thanks for any info/guidance you might have.

  78. Keith E. Gestring says

    I have a Identification Card issued in 1998, it only has my SSN on it, I have been told a new one must be issued showing the ID Number on it. This is asked for by civilian hospitals to be eligible for Tri-care-for-life benefits when filing claims. I have been in contact with the Deers Program, they also said the same. Although my ID card says INDEFINITE, WHO IS CORRECT. I HAVE BEEN WITH THE DEERS PROGRAM SINCE 2001. They never issued me a new ID Card in 2001.

    Can I still use my present ID card with only he SSN on it when filing claims

    • Ryan Guina says

      Keith, If the hospitals are requesting information that is only found on the new ID cards and DEERS also says you need a new card, then I would get a new ID card. The indefinite label on your card only refers to the expiration date. But if it doesn’t have current information, then I would get a new card with the current information. This will help with filing your medical insurance claims. Otherwise your claims might take longer to process or may possibly be denied.

    • SJ QUAN says

      First if your ID has a SSN get a new one ASAP. We have been fighting for years to get that off the ID cards for ID Theft. Second on the front and back of some ID cards there are two expiration dates. The front may say Indefinite but when you turn 65 you may or may not be notified to get a new card to have Indefinite placed on the back. There is a back log so you have to act on your own.

      California have just let military put Military on their drivers or Calif ID cards. That would be for people who have served less than 20 or more years or who was discharged like for medical reasons.


      • Scott Lyerly says

        During the Viet Nam era, SS# was the number printed on the dog tag rather than a serial number. This could present problems. How do you recommend proving our service without making that number public knowledge when using DD form 214 for proof?

      • Victor says

        I live in Madera, CA . We use both Home Depot and Lowe’s they both give us a 10% discount all the time no problems ever. We have a Perko’s restaurant they give 20% off the regular menu, MacDonald’s here gives a whopping 25% all the time also.
        We always use the savings to help others in need these days, there are so many homeless.

  79. Barbara K says

    I’m an Army veteran and am enrolled in VA. I have VA ID card. My question is: Why when I recently went to home depot (who gives military and veterans discount) I was told that because my VA ID didn’t say “service connected” on it, I didn’t qualify for a discount.
    I was told it was “policy” that the card has to say service connected. Their policy isn’t for disabled veterans, it’s for all veterans, period! What’s going on with that?

      • B.Roof says

        I feel your frustration I am a Disabled Veteran and they still gave me a Hassle at the Register when I went to check out then after i showed the Manager they told me the Veteran discount was only good on certain Items in the store I became so frustrated that I didn’t buy anything that Day and told them that Lowes gives 10% on every thing in the store I left that Day and have not shopped at Home depot since using Lowe’s exclusively since Home Depot in my opinion does not Support American Vets

    • Anon Emus says

      I would imagine having something indicating “service connected” would straddle the lines of HIPPA and should not be noted on an id card. If anything, take your business to Lowes. Just about the same items without the hassle.

      • Karen says

        Lowes in Phoenix is the hardest place to get military discount. We have a drivers license with Veteran on it and still CANNOT get the discount. Now Home Depot will give us the discount with the license.

      • tony cota says

        How did you get a drivers license with veteran on it… I went to a DMV in Tempe and they told me they don’t do this ….

      • Lou Freitas says

        Not in Savannah, GA Home Depot gave me hard time telling me my drivers license labeled as Veteran was not acceptable as proof of being Military?

      • Stan says

        I know at my local Home Depot they have a paper on the counter as to what they except as proof for a veteran discount. They only seem to accept drivers licenses that say Veteran on them during certain holidays. Lowes now has a program where they verify you served and it is stored all the time under your my lowes card and you do not need to show an ID.

    • glen says

      I was told by home depot to get a dd214 and have veterans put on my la. drivers license which requires a dd214 shown to have it put on. now they don’t accept this or my dd214, neither does lowes. i’m fed up

      • S. Jones says

        Don’t shop at the Montville, Ct. Home Depot either then. Because of a few trying to scam a discount all the rest of us legit Veterans will have to pay the consequences. I like Loews better anyway.

    • Pat Martinez says

      Great, lots of great information here EXCEPT how and where to get that ID card for military retirees. The only place I know of in my city has a guy who works ONE day a week in a facility that I cannot enter without an ID. No phone number to be found anywhere, either.

  80. Shaquta M. says

    my husband and I just recently got married. He is in the process of enrolling me into DEERS but I do not have my birth certificate, I do however have my social security card and state I.D.. will that be enough to enroll me into DEERS and obtain an I.D?

    • Ryan Guina says

      Shaquta, Thank you for contacting me. I don’t know the answer to your question. You will need to contact your local DEERS or Pass & ID office to see about the required documents and if there are other options for getting entered into DEERS. Best of luck!

  81. Laurie Lowry says

    My husband served in the Marines for 6 yrs. My question is, what benefits is he and myself are entitled too? Military card? I have hisDD214

    • Ryan Guina says

      Laurie, Thank you for contacting me. Benefits vary based on individual circumstances, such as their discharge status, and when and where the individual served. For example, whether the veteran served during peace time or war time, or if they were deployed to various war zones.

      It is recommend that each veteran go through a benefits claim process to see which benefits they may be eligible to receive. You can do this through the VA, or through a Veterans Benefits Organization. Here is a Veterans Benefits Guide which offers an outline of some benefits programs he may be eligible to receive.

      The military does not issue ID cards for veterans who did not retire through the military, or that do not have a 100% disability rating. However, a law was recently passed that will allow the VA to issue Veterans ID cards. I hope this is helpful.

  82. Robert Cecil says

    I retired from the National guard in 2007. Picked up a felony in 2008. Can I still get a retired id card

  83. Kristin Salas says

    My husband recently separated, and has 80% disability rating. Our family served proudly in the military for 13 years, and we settled down close to a base in our home state to feel close to the military life we loved. I was so disappointed to hear that we wouldn’t have base access after our TAP program ends. My kids love going on base to use the pool and parks, since there’s really not a lot to do in central Missouri. I am less concerned about military discounts, and more concerned of my kids (4 & 8) still feeling a connection with the military and pride for our military family. Is there any political talk of lowering the disability rating, or allowing those who served to still have base access? I know they are trying to cut back costs, but I don’t see how letting vets on base to pay to use base facilities could be that expensive to maintain.

  84. John MacMaster says

    I have found that those of us who served less than 20 years are 2nd class vets. That means we won’t qualify for a military ID card in most cases. Thus the benefits of its usage is not available.

    I tried getting an ID card at a local vet hospital. I was denied because the combined income of my wife and I exceeded their allowable maximum. I called a local military base and they said I wasn’t eligible at just a 4-year vet. I needed to be receiving disability , to have served 20 years, or retired. These are the same requirements to get discounts at many retailers. I DO have a state license that specifies that I am a veteran (even have a Viet Nam vet license plate), but that is not enough. Requirement for a discount is a military ID card. This makes me feel like a 2nd class vet.

  85. charles collins says

    very informative website. my advise is to all veterans somehow complete your twenty years- I don’t know how I retired from the military. All the trouble I ran into for not thinking of what I was getting myself into. Well my only question is I’m retired reserve and receive 100% due to unemployability from the VA. that should affect me keeping my military status and VA compensation once I receive retired pay at age 59 or 60- they got something called concurrent receipt since I’m rated actually at 70% by the VA. it starts at 50% or more from the VA its a law from 2008 and beyond I looked it up online.

  86. Richard Lee Walker says

    I served in the air force and was stationed in Korea. My local store is asking for a military ID card so I can get a discount as a vet. Where do I go? What do I do?

  87. Wayne Massey says

    I served in the army from 1966-1977. I received an OTH discharge for being awol. Can I still get a military ID card?

  88. Katrina says

    Me and my ex are legally separated and he will not get me or his daughter a dependent card so we can go To the va. Can I still get a card for my self and for our daughter and how can I get them?

    • Ryan Guina says

      Katrina, Thank you for contacting me, and I’m sorry to hear about this situation. If you are still legally married, you are still eligible for a military ID card and military benefits. His daughter may possibly continue to be eligible for benefits after the divorce is final, depending on the circumstances (check with the closest base or DEERS location for specific information). To obtain an ID card, go to the closest RAPIDS location, military installation, or DEERS location. They will be able to look you up in the system and verify your eligibility. Make sure to bring required paperwork, such as drivers licenses, birth certificates, marriage certificates, etc. The personnel section will be able to advise you of your benefits rights, and help you obtain an ID card if eligible.

  89. Eric says

    Why dosent the V.A. just issue a card that states, John or Jane Doe has honorbly served his or her country from 3/16/44 to 12/6/48 in the U.S. Army,Navy,Marines,Air Force.Coast Guard,etc. Is that too much to ask for all those years of service.?

  90. Jessica says

    Hello. I am not sure this is the correct place to ask this question, but after searching online I am having a hard time finding an answer to my question. My Army husband and I divorced a few years ago. We have three children that are covered with insurance through Tricare. He re married someone who is active duty Army. When he got out of the Army, they put our children under her Tricare insurance. I was told by his new wife that I need to get my children a dependent ID card to be able to use the insurance (I always just used my husbands social security number and never had a problem.). We live a couple states away from them and I am unsure how to go about getting the cards for my children. They were too young for cards before we got divorced (2,4,5). I know they are in enrolled in DEERS and I have a Tricare enrollment card for them, but without the sponsor being here, I am at a loss on what to do. The closest military base is three hours away and I am not even sure who I could try to contact within the base to try and help. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

    • Ryan Guina says

      Jessica, Thank you for contacting me. You should contact the DEERS support office or the closest RAPIDS location. Here is a reference. They will be able to tell you how to obtain an ID card and which documents will be necessary to get one. Best of luck!

  91. lety says

    I am looking into getting my veterans ID but cannot find a place near Reno, NV. I only served 4 years and was honorably discharged. Am I even qualified for it? If so, does anyone know where I can go get it?

  92. Nessa says

    Hello everyone,
    From what I’ve read, the answer to my question is No. I thought I would ask here anyway. My husband and I are currently separated. He’s in the navy, and lives in VA, I’m with my family in KY, so is there a way for me to get a new Military ID? Mine expired in January and I really need the insurance, but as far as I know, you cannot get just an insurance card. It would be very difficult and expensive to drive the 10 hour drive to get to the base in VA.

    • Ryan Guina says

      Nessa, you should contact your local RAPIDS location. These are the locations where ID cards are issued. You should be eligible for an ID card if you are still active in the DEERS system (the Department of Defense system that tracks all military members and dependents). Call the local ID Card location and ask them which documents you need to obtain an ID card. They should be able to tell you over the phone. Since your husband is will not be with you, you may need to work with them to get the proper documentation. I hope this helps!

  93. Max says

    From my experience;

    1. If you had reserve duty and active duty, both should be recorded in box 12.e. on your DD214. If this is not the case, you need to contact your closest Veterans Services Office and see about getting a correction to your DD214. This may require you to provide your stubs of active reserve time if you did any. You may also need to order a copy of your record from the National Archives.

    Note: A DD214 is a strictly controlled document so it is important to keep your copies. A DD214 is not normally issued at the expiration of reserve duty. In 10 years of serving our reserve community on active duty we never issued a DD214 to a reservist. Reservists recalled to active duty are another matter, and this is different from the reserves mandate for AT (annual training).

    2. There are only a few classes of personnel who carry authentic military ID’s:
    – Active duty
    – Reservists
    – Retired
    – 100% disabled/medically retired.
    Everyone else will need to keep a copy of their DD214. There is no official government military ID card available to veterans who fall outside of these
    categories. Retiree cards and medically disabled retiree cards do not carry expiration dates; the box reads: indefinite.

    3. Basically it comes down to keeping a copy of your DD214. If you have done less than say, 20 years your ID card expired on the end date of your enlisted contract or upon decommissioning. If you are not under contract, you will not be issued a card that says at some time that you were. Hopefully and again, you have kept a copy of your DD214.

    4. There is no such thing as a ‘mail order’ government military ID. You will be required to show up in person to obtain one if qualified. I made ID cards for 90 years olds, believe me, where there’s a will, a way will be found. There are also no mobile ID card units that make house calls. Yes, I have been asked. However, given the size of our aging retired community, not necessarily a bad idea.

    5. The veterans organizations out there, American Legion, VFW, etc., are not officially sponsored or a part of the government or the military. Their cards are specific only to those specific organizations which are most notable as lobby groups.

    Good luck.

    Personnel Specialist First Class USN, retired.

    • wa jeed says

      Isn’t VFW or American legion are sanctioned and approved by the US congress, please correct me if I am wrong.

  94. meallie says

    I never had problem as long as I been out of the military. I went to a military post in Brooklyn, I showed them my military I.D. back and front. The security at the gate took the I.D. of my hand and call his supervisor on me because didn’t want him to take my I.D. out of my hand. I was told don’t let people make copies take it out of your hand….

  95. lashae says

    my dad is a military veteran I am his daughter I am 29 years old my dad is now retired but during the time when my mom dad and sister got there military ID I was unable to do so because I was out of state I was wondering am I still able to get the military ID card?

    • Ryan Guina says

      lashae, No, you are no longer eligible for a military ID card because you are too old to be considered a qualified military dependent. Children are eligible for a military dependent ID card until age 21, unless they are a full-time student, in which case they are eligible until age 23.

  96. John Sailors says

    Hello, I am a Navy veteran and was going to use my military i.d. to get a discount at Disney world. I now live in Australia and am thinking that I might not be able to find it. What can I do to get a replacement I.d.? Thanks for any help you can give in this matter. John

  97. Ada rogers says

    My husband was was in the service for 4 year and in Vietnam. We have tried to get a card for myself so I can get discounts at Lowes an such. He has an ID card that he got at the VA hospital. They will not let me use his card because ot has his picture on it. He never leaves the house for anything because he gets nervous around people. Mostly due the the experience in Vietnam. I go everywhere by myself. If you know of anywhere that I can get an id for this please let me no. I don’t feel this is right because he served and we can’t get the benefits. I think we have just as much right as other military spouses.

    • Ryan Guina says

      Ada, Thank you for contacting me. Unfortunately, the US Military does not issue ID cards to veterans or their dependents unless they are a retiree. The VA only issues ID cards to veterans who are eligible to receive health care through the VA. They do not issue ID Cards to spouses or other dependents.

      Regarding your husband’s experiences in Vietnam. It is possible he may have Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) or some other military-related issues from his time in the service. If he has not done so, it would be a good idea for him to see a VA benefits counselor to help determine which benefits he may be eligible to receive.

  98. Linda says

    my husband served in the US Navy for 4 years and then was injured and retired at 100% disabled. They changed his rating a few years back from 100% to 80% non-workable and he is paid at 100%. can he get a military ID card so that we can have access to the base commissary? He already has his VA ID card and uses the VA for all of his medical needs.

  99. Stan S Smith says

    Ref ID Card

    I Have a Certificate of Service Card DD form 217A Jan 1950. It says certificate of United Forces of the United States. This is to certify that …. ….. RA 12 456 657 honorably served on active duty in the RA. Army of united States. On the back of the card it says period of active duty from …….. to …….then asks for the soldiers signature and signature of certifying officer. At the bottom of the card it reads(If found drop in mailbox. postmaster: postage guaranteed. Return to: The Adjutant General, Washington 25, D. C. and the letters GPO 1949 O-852108

    This is what I have used for my ID card for years. It has faded over the years but readable. Went to our local VA office to see if there was away I could get a new one, and the young girl said to me that I had to sign up for some kind of VA medical card before I could get a ID card. I told her I never have asked for anything from the VA, and all I needed was a new ID card. She told me she could not help me, and I left. You know I gave 3 years of my life to U. S. Army and 4 years standby and 1 year to National Guard and no one can help get a new card..

    • Ryan Guina says

      Stan, Thank you for contacting us. The military doesn’t issue ID cards to veterans. The card they gave you was an ID card that showed your discharge and service. However, they no longer issue these cards. The VA also does not issue those cards. However, the VA does issue ID cards for those eligible for medical coverage (you may actually be eligible, even if you are not aware of it, and you do not need to use the medical coverage even if you are eligible).

  100. Stan S Smith says

    Ref to William Cass

    I, too, served in U.S. Army from 1957 to 1960. Like you, I was recruited by the American Legion to become a member. I advised those trying to recruit me that I was not eligible, but they said oh yes you are, and have been paying dues for thirty five years. I called a few Legion Posts in my area and they told me it was alright because they have lots of members like me. There is one Post that had a Legion Commander who served only in the National Guard on weekends. I guess it is time for me to stop paying dues. I know now that congress did not set up the American Legion for soldiers like me or for those members like me. Maybe an investigation is needed….receiving membership money under false pretensions

  101. william cass says


    • Ryan Guina says

      William, The American Legion casts a wide net and likely received your name and address as a veteran. They are simply trying to increase their membership, and may not have marked your name as ineligible to join their organization. If you wish them to stop sending you mail, please contact them and ask to be removed from their contact list. That will stop the mail. Best of luck, and thanks for your service!

  102. Dana says

    I am needing advise. I am a disabled veteran, unemployable so I am paid at 100% Rate. I carry a veterans ID card but am thinking I am also eligible for a retired military ID card . I served in the army national guard for 20 years. 12 of the 20 years I was active army national guard. I was told I had to waive my retirement to receive VA benefits but I was not aware I was waiving my right to have a retired ID card. Please help, this is really beginning to bother me. It’s like I served 20 years and have nothing but my disability to show for it.

  103. Mary Coffindaffer says

    I have a question I have an acquaintance who served maybe 6 years in the Air Force. He recently got a health card from VA. What benefits come with this card? Can he go to ITT and get say park
    Hopper tickets to Disney Land? I would appreciate any help on this matter. Thanks.

    • Ryan Guina says

      Mary, The VA issued ID card is for receiving medical benefits at the VA. Some people also use it to show proof of military service. However, it is not a military ID card, and is not good for base access or access to active duty military benefits. In general, ITT and other base facilities are only open to active duty, Guard/Reserve, retirees, and their family members. So in this case, I don’t think he would be able to access the base or use the ID for discounted tickets. I hope this helps!

  104. Kurt says

    Wisconsin is no longer pending when it comes to having your veteran status on your Drivers License. I’ve had mine for 5 months.

  105. Dan Botimer says

    john cardarelli , same EXACT thing happened to me this morning at the VA in Lansing Mi. nobody knew anything . very frustrating .

  106. John Cardarelli says

    I am finding this search very frustrating. I joined the Navy in 1966, served active duty during 1966, Honorably discharged in 1972. I have my DD214 form. Can I get a Military I.D. card? If so, what do I have to do? I visited my local Veteran Services office, they didn’t know anything about it. No help what so ever. Can you help me?

  107. Sharonn says

    Joseph E. Weakland

    You can always go back to the office and check your status. The 1-800 number is really busy during the week, especially Monday, but you can get through.

  108. Alvin Casimere says

    Hello, I wanted to know am I eligible to register as a dependent in the DEERS registration. My father was honorable discharged from Desert Storm due to the expiration of his service. However, he passed away back in 2009. Am I still eligible to register myself?

    • Ryan Guina says

      Hello Alvin, I’m sorry for your loss. I don’t know your full situation, but my initial thought is you are most likely not eligible for an ID card (based on the info at hand). Children and spouses are usually only classified as dependents while their sponsor (the military member) is still serving in the military. In the case of retired military members, a child would only be a dependent for ID card purposes until they reach age 18, or longer if they are attending full-time college, up to age 23, or until they get married. If your father was not a military retiree (generally 20 years of active duty service), then the window has most likely closed for being eligible for a military ID card.

  109. Yvette Spicer says

    I am married to a retired service member. He was in the Air Force. and is on VA Disability. I have a copy of his DD-214 for a medical discharge.

    How (or if) do I find out if I’m eligible for a Spousal ID card? When I ask someone, all I get is “I don’t know”.

    Thanks for any help you can give me.

  110. Joseph E. Weakland says

    I submitted an application to the Va. Regional office In St. Petersburg, Fl, back in March of 2014. I needed a military verification form to receive my military ID card, so my wife and I could get onto Mcdill AFB. I have not heard a peep out of them. I,ve tried to contact the toll free number a lot of times, but could not get through. I’ve tried to contact Congressmen Rubio but to no avail. Can someone please help?

  111. John Menna says

    I served 6 months and then 5 1/2 years in the active reserve totaling 687 days.

    I came out an E-5 and at REFRAD ( after the first 6 months of active duty ) I was told that my hearing was so bad that I should never have been in the service , and furthermore if I waited a few days they would get me a ID card and I could go to the VA Hospital in my area .Or (Plan B) I could go to the VA in my area and get a card.

    As a wise 20 year old ,that was getting married the next week , I decided that plan “B” suited my needs.

    My hearing was perfect when I went in but somewhere in training it went south,
    probably as a result of firing one of the many weapons an infantry man uses.

    Now I am being told that the rules have changed and I no longer qualify for the ID.
    Isn’t there a grandfather clause attached to my enlistment ?

    John Menna # 21028326 NG

  112. John Miller says

    Hello there, I just requested my DD 214 and it has my active duty on there, but it doesn’t have any of my ten years of reservist duty on it. Is there a separate form that has all of that information on it?

  113. Ben Miles says

    1. Any Vet who honorably served can get a VA ID Card just go to a VA office or center or hospital and inquire.

    2. VA ID’s and Military ID’s are two different animals. (See Jack Rucynski’s post above)

    3 To obtain a Military ID as a veteran, you must be 100% disabled and then go to your regional office with the VA’s determination in hand and apply for a Military ID.

    4. If your spouse does not have a SSN get her one. Even if she has never worked a day in her life here, she needs one because if you die, she can draw a check based on your SS account. The amount she draws depends on how much you paid in.

  114. Daniel says

    Lowes will only except a Military ID from the VA and you say I can’t get one. served 7 years active and 1 year inactive and I can’t get 10%off purchases. 🙁

  115. Adam says

    I need to get an ID for my spouse. She is not American and does not have a SSN, but we frequent the bases and the commissaries. Can they get her a dependent ID card if she doesn’t have a SSN? I am retired Navy of 24 years. We’ve been married for 7 months.

  116. Jack Rucynski says

    A couple points of clarification. A 100% disabled veteran and his spouse are entitled to a Military ID Card, (DD Form 2765). They must fill out DD Form 1173 which can be found on line, or they will do it at the base. They should make an appointment with the nearest military installation ID Card Section. You will probably be questioned at the gate, the appointment can then be verified. You must bring two forms of identification for yourself and spouse if married. Not a bad idea to bring your VA ID and your award letter. It is not all that complicated. A veteran requiring a VA ID card must enroll in the VA system. My advise is to contact your County Veterans Service Officer and they will guide you in the right direction. Most of the Service Organizations (VFW, AL, DAV) have veterans service officers. Each of them can most likely get you a physical examination and determine if you are eligible for VA Compensation or VA Medical Care. Should you have any concerns about VA care, don’t; the VA Hospital in Syracuse NY is a five star facility. The help is there, just do it. CSM, US Army, Retired. T


    to whom it may concern,
    i am a viet nam vet, there are a number of stores in this area that allow vetrans discounts but require a veterans photo i.d. this could be very useful for me as i am disabled/ retired, the disability was due to a civilian job, but i could seriously use the help a photo i.d. would provide. can you help me please and thank you

  118. alan sotzin says

    I need to get a dd214 I.D. card, is that the same as a veterans I.D. card to get discounts and benefits with? Please let me know. Thank you. Alan Sotzin

    • Ryan Guina says

      Alan, the DoD no longer issues wallet size DD 214 ID Cards. Some people scan a copy of their and shrink it down at an office supply store like FedEx/Kinkos or the UPS Store. Alternatively, you can look at the options listed in this article to get a form of ID you can use to show your proof of service.

  119. Ben Miles says

    1.) To all of you asking about military ID or Veterans Administration ID cards. The first step in the process is getting a copy of your DD-214. Without that your only spinning your tires. Go to the link provided below to get started.

    Once you have that in hand, you can go to any VA hosp[ital and get issued a VA I.D. Card.

    2.) To all you guys wanting a Military I.D. card, you must complete step 1.) above first, then after you are in the VA system, you must be evaluated by VA Doctors to determine if you are disabled and to get the military I.D. You MUST have a disability rate of no less than 100% disabled. Once you have that you can take your papers to your area or regional office and they will issue you a form to take to a military base and be issued your Military I.D. card.

    3.) For the one that is a retired military person, you also need proof of military retirement. Then call or visit a nearby military installation and ask them what steps to go through to get the retired military I.D. Card

    4.) A word of caution to all of you seeking a VA disability rating. Anyone disabled to the rate of 100% can be stuck with a “INCOMPETENT” label in that disability rating. If you love the 2nd Amendment and your right to keep and bear arms, you DO NOT want this rating. It can and probably will strip you of your God Given right to keep and bear arms.

  120. Carol says

    Does anyone know if there is a form to allow someone to go on base and shop, etc. for a retired military person? My dad is elderly and doesn’t drive anymore. He often can’t (or doesn’t want to ) get out of the house to go to the PX or pharmacy. I am his daughter but too old to be a dependent and I’m not military. Thanks for any help.

    • Ryan Guina says

      Carol, Unfortunately, I don’t have a solid answer for you. My recommendation is to call the local Pass & ID office or base Visitor’s Center and ask if they have a policy for this type of situation. Best of luck!

    • rgc says

      For up to date and accurate information contact the nearest military personnel office , the nearest or any veteran service org. ( DAV, VFW, etc.), or your congressman’s local office for assistance and answers to your question.

  121. James A Minisci says

    Hi, I served from 1960 – 1963, Army 101ST Airborne Division, I can not see well, due to MD, How do I get a card?

  122. robert l foss jr says

    I would like to know how I can get my vet card to show that I am a vet. I have a certificate from the American Legion. It said for “honorable service in the United States armed forces and for outstanding service and loyalty to the United States of America, upon meeting the service requirements set forth by the Congress of the United States.” I was In Fort Dix New Jersey. Can you help me? It has been so long and I don’t have my DD214 form.

  123. Sharonn E says

    Ben, what kind of information are you looking for? You can use your letter and go to the installation yourself to obtain an ID card and fully enroll in DEERS. Just make sure you have your ID and your original DD 214 with you. If you are married or have children, take an original copy of the marriage license and birth certificates. Adults need to have an ID card. They do not accept copies unless they have been certified.

    I was just approved recently and had to do a lot of driving back and forth because the place where I got my ID card is a small installation and they don’t usually deal with us.

  124. Ben Miles says

    I am 100% disabled according to a decision by the VA. A few weeks ago a Veterans administration person came by my house and did some paper work and told me that I should go to the VA hospital in Los Angeles and they would send me to the military installation next door to have a military ID created so I could use the Commissary on base. Could you give me more information regarding this?

  125. Sharonn E says

    Hi Jack,

    I’m not sure if you were part of the big push to get veterans/active duty to sign up for the ebenefits website.

    If not call 1-800-827-1000 (or visit your local VA office), they should be able to sign you up. From the website you can print all kinds of letters related to your military service.

    The VA office should be able to print you a letter on the spot or the 1-800 number should be able to send you a letter after confirming some personal information.

  126. jack daily says

    I was in the Army Reserves in 1968 and was called into active duty for the Vietnam War by act of Congress. I only had 1 year left on my 6 year total obligation so they decided not to send me to Vietnam and I stayed at Fort Rucker the entire year.
    At the end of my year (July 1969) I was given an honorable discharge and classified as a veteran because of the Act of Congress call up. This was a long time ago and I have no records now.

    How should I go about trying to get proof of my military status for the purpose of seeing if I am eligible for any benefits?

    Thanks for any help.

  127. Sharon Holst says

    I guess I don’t understand why everyone who has served can’t have a military ID indicating their prior service – whether 20 yrs or less, years in Army Reserves, etc. I realize the benefits aren’t there for most of us now but we should still be able to have a military ID – we did serve whether it be 2 yrs or 20 yrs and were honorably discharged.

    • Ryan Guina says

      Generally, the only people eligible for a DoD issued ID card are current military members and retirees. You should be eligible for a VA issued picture ID card.

  128. Sharonn E says

    I’m a disabled and have had a claim in for 23 months. My local VA just finished working claims that were 2 years old and are now working on 1 year old cases.

    My question is this: Since my claim has been in, they (the VA) added that I be considered for 100% totally disabled; that was about a year ago. Does this carry any weight in the final decision since I didn’t ask for the 100%?

  129. carl says

    Hi, I did 1 year and 7 months of military service. I had a really crappy chief who verbally abused his department, in particularly me. Prior to deployment, I had a session with a psychologist to address the issues I was having. She told me to write down how I felt in a journal she gave me. Upon snapping and talking back to the chief, they dropped me off a a remote military base and returned to my home base. They confiscated my journal after I told them that I was writing one. In hindsight, this was a violation of doctor-client privileges. I spent 2 months working at my home base until one day the CO had a word with me. He told me that there’s nothing wrong with me, that I was put in a bad situation with some bad people. He told me that I could go to another boat or get discharged. I chose to get discharged. I ended up with a General discharge under honorable conditions and a code… I forgot what it was…. that one can never reenlist.

    My question is: can I still get a veterans’ card or any kind of card that acknowledges me as a veteran? Most stores I frequent require the Veterans card, an active duty card, or one of those old green cards with a black and white picture of yourself, which I’ve since lost. I would be using it only to get discounts

  130. Reuben says

    After some research, it is only in some cases of involuntary separation. Mine was voluntary. I tried…

    • Ryan Guina says

      Thanks for the update, Reuben. Military members who are involuntarily separated are sometimes eligible for different benefits, depending on their specific situation. Best of luck with your transition!

  131. Reuben says

    I served 8 years and I have been told I have 2 years after my EAOS of base/commissary access. What type of military ID is given to me and is my spouse eligible for this card?

    • Ryan Guina says

      Hello Reuben. I am not familiar with a rule that gives you 2 years of base and commissary access. You will need to contact your local ID card center or personnel office for more information.

  132. Ronald Wayne Childers says

    I now have 100% service connected disability. I have been sent a letter which states “we are giving you this letter so that you may receive commissary store and exchange privileges from the Armed Forces.

    This is to certify that Ronald W. Childers is an honorably discharged Veteran of the Air Force and receives benefits at the 100% rate. What does this really mean??? And what do I do now?????

    thanks, Wayne Childers

    • Ryan Guina says

      Wayne, I recommend contacting your local base pass & ID office for more information regrading getting an ID card. They should also be able to help you understand the benefits you are eligible for. It’s also a good idea to schedule a meeting with your local VA Hospital, Clinic or office as they will be able to walk you through everything you need to know regarding your benefits eligibility. I recommend an in-person visit if possible, because each situation is unique and it’s best to get your information straight from the source. Best of luck, and thanks for your service.

  133. Cindy says

    Ramon Ojeda Santos
    Not sure about OPT, but NSC means not service connected. You don’t have a service connected disability. Would guess OPT means option or that you opted out or took a discharge for a disability not considered service connected. Not sure though.

  134. Cindy says

    If you served at least 90 days active duty you could be eligible for VA medical benefits. If you are a certain percent service connected disabled all your care and medications are free. If not, then it’s based on your income. They have you fill out a means test every year to see if you qualify. It’s pretty easy to qualify and your doctor visit copays will be around $20 and prescriptions around $7. There is more info taken into consideration also like…..did you serve during war time, etc. these factors may help reduce the copays. But to be sure, you should go to, click on veteran services then health care information, scroll down and click on apply for health benefits on the left. I was unaware of this and paid for private insurance and copays for close to twenty years before I found the site. What a waste. Good thing the internet came along. Hopefully I have saved some of you a lot of money. Just keep in mind I accept cash tips. LOL 😉 Oh I almost forgot, once you apply for the health benefit, you just go to the nearest VA Hospital or Clinic and tell them you need an ID card.

  135. John Campbell says

    I have a Verterians VA card for service in Vietnam and have been confirmed I have PTSD from servive in Laos. What is the differance with a VA card which has service under the picture and one that does not?

  136. Scott Parks says

    Thanks Ryan for the forum and all the good information. I served in Bamberg, Germany from 1984 to 1986. My wife and I was planning a self-guided tour of Germany this fall and I was hoping to get back on base just to revisit and show her where I spent two years of my life but it sounds like we will not be able to get on base. We will have to be content with looking at it from the outside. Once again, many thanks for the job you are doing.

  137. Miriam Olin says

    Hi Ryan, you seem like an expert! Just read your above article and learned a lot, thanks. I received an Uncharacterized Seperation in 1994 and am wondering if I qualify for ANY benefits. Specifically medical but also, I travel often for months at a time and thought it might be nice to get an ID card so I can go on base to the PX – what are my options, do you know? Each time I call VA or DOD I just get the run around … thanks in advance.


  138. James Lyons says


    I was a 1st Lieutenant in the army reserve 20 years ago. To the best of my knowledge I am still a member of the “ready reserve”. As an IRR designee would I be elegible for any type of ID card. The reason for asking is that I’m planning on taking my kids to Disneyland and they have some tremendous discounts for the military. Thanks for your response

  139. Gwendolyn Sidener says

    I would like to know if I can still use my ID card. My previous husband retired from the military after 20 yrs. Eventually he came down with Myasthenia Gravis and ALS.
    He passed away, I have remarried, and am still eligible to receive his VA pension. and I still have my ID card, but I don’t know if I can still use it for the PX and Commissary, and wonder can I have it renewed when it expires?

  140. Lieutenant Frederick Georges says


    I am a Vietnam era veteran who was uninterested in anything when I was discharged from St. Albans Naval Hospital and just “walked away” and did not look back.

    I will look into what you have afforded us all here. This information is “news to me” and I thank you for it.
    Lieutenant Frederick Georges
    N.S.V.F.A./ Orleans Fire and Rescue-Retired

  141. Mike says

    Did the USVCP card thing. In about 2 weeks got a nice looking laminated card with my info and pic (I sent pic and DD214). Has my branch of service and the numbers of veteran service organizations on the back. No SS# or other info that can compromise my (credit) identity is listed on the card. Card does state it is “NOT OFFICIAL FOR MILITARY OR GOVT BUSINESS”. So you can’t get back on base or anything like that. However, it also states that military service WAS verified by the company by DD 214, DD256 or other military documents. I was skeptical at first but I have presented the card to various merchants ( I live in NY) and have gotten whatever military discount was offered-no questions asked. Even on vacation, I was in Hawaii with the fam and my card was recognized by a host of merchants. I even had a manager of a tour company ask me where I got the card because he, like many of us, never had a convenient way of proving his prior military service. NYS will FINALLY have a drivers license veterans endorsement, but not until the end of this year (2013) and I wanted something NOW. It was a one time fee of $19 bucks, no renewal and they didn’t/haven’t tried to sell me anything. Your experience my be different from mine but I’m glad I got it. OH last thing, has a verification service where you check to see if the card holder is legit. I tried it on MYSELF w/0 the company knowing it was actually me and it worked perfectly. Got a verification message to the # I provided of my name, military service branch and type of discharge (Honorable). Again, your mileage may vary but for $19 bucks I couldn’t be happier.

  142. sheila wilson says

    Could someone that has served only 6 years in National reserve, get a veterans id card, now that this person is retired?

    Also I have a son station at Ft. Bragg which is near our home, do they still let parents of soldiers get military ids, it would benefit while visiting base weekly, also to buy him items on base.

    • Ryan Guina says

      Hello Sheila, Someone who served in the Reserves or National Guard for 6 years would generally be considered a veteran, but not retired (unless they were medically retired). They would only be eligible for a military ID card if they were retired. Otherwise, they would not be eligible for a military ID card. They may be eligible for an ID card from the VA or a drivers license or other ID card with a veterans designation, as described in this article.

      Military bases do not issue military ID cards to parents of service members, unless the parents are considered legal dependents. You may possibly be able to get a day pass to the base if your son sponsors you onto base. However, you would not be able to use most base facilities unless your son sponsors it. Base shopping is generally reserved for military members. However, he may be able to buy something for you. My recommendation is to speak with him or the base pass & ID office for more specific information.

  143. Sherry Pritchard says

    I would like to know if you are a spouse of a Navy Vet.( which died) and are over the age of 57 and remarry do you lose your Navy Base I.D. card?? I still receive my DIC check and ChampVa. HealthCare. I went to renew my I.D. card today and was told it could NOT be renewed!!! That I could no longer use the Navy Base! Please clear this up for me. Thank you!!

  144. Bob says

    I was given a wallet-size DD-217N [yes, DD-217] form upon separation from USN.
    It is not laminated. And I do not know anyone else who received this form with an
    honorable discharge. Also received my DD-214 at the same time.

  145. stan says

    Spent 6 years in the USAF and was Honorable discharged. Have no service connected disability and cannot get a VA id card. Home Depot will not except a DD214 as other stores will not. On Veterans day I cannot get most discounts open to vets and at stores that offer all year round discounts most will not accept a DD214. Home Depot even told me today they do not accept the NEW Florida drivers license with the V emblem in blue showing your veteran status. So if I where to visit the local VA clinic any chance I could get an ID card as some of my fellow vets without disabilities have in the past or have the rules changed?

  146. Jim Campbell says

    I was active 6/64 until 6/67 in the regular army. I was in France and Germany. I have always thought I was a veteran, then the Home Depot thing came up as I was buying an appliance the sales person asked about my statis as a vet. They didn’t go for the 214 and since then I have changed my statis to “not real military” as it doesn’t count now. As I learned about the real Army after I was in, I learned a lot after I left. I am glad I am out with minimum damage that they wouldn’t believe.

  147. oscar cepeda says

    I served in U S M C from 1976 to 1980 active, inactive reserves from 1980 to 1982. I did recieve an Honorable Discharge. I have never use any of my G I Benefits mainly because I had gotten a good job working for AT&T. After working 30 years for AT&T, I retired and move out of state, I’m now living in Texas and people asked if I have ever served in the armed forces. I tell them I was in the Marines and they ask if I have an I D . I do not have one, Am I entitle to have one? If so, how do I go about to get one?

  148. Kirk says

    I served in the Illinois Army National Guard from 1987 to 1995. Other than my DD214 is there anything else I can use to prove my service? I still have my military ID from that time and have used that in the past to prove my service.

  149. rodney groves says

    I have a wallet size laminated DD214 that was issued to me upon separation by the US Army. I showed it to a guy down at the VA who told me that he had never seen them wallet sized and laminated before and basically accused me of making it myself. Mine was issued at Ft. Lewis, Washington in 1971, Can you tell me what years they issued them and what year they discontinued them?

    • Ryan Guina says

      Rodney, I have heard several other veterans mention they were issued a laminated DD 214 upon separation from the service. I don’t know the years this was done, and it may have been done at a branch or even base level instead of DoD wide. I have also heard of people doing it in recent years as a way to show proof of service. It isn’t a photo ID, however, but it does show you served. Thanks for your service!

      • rodney groves says

        Thanks Ryan. I just wanted to show that guy at the V.A. that it is legitimate Army issue. It was made by Morley studios, I presume the one in Portland, Oregon, and given to me at Ft. Lewis, Washington when I came back from Korea. I am wrestling a bit with the V.A. now over my healthcare benefits. They have discontinued them because of that 2003 Veterans Disability Act that requires veterans to qualify based on income, if they did not get into the healthcare program prior to December 2003. It seems that I missed the cutoff by about $1200 in my annual household income. I am taking some new info to the V.A. eligibility office tomorrow that shows nearly $4500 in medical expenses for the year. I am hoping that will satisfy them and that they will reinstate my healthcare benefits.

  150. Victor says

    I was wondering once i get issued my military id from the VA, is it possible to get my wife a military dependant id?

    • Ryan Guina says

      Hi Victor, the VA doesn’t issue military ID cards. If you are still in the military, you can get an ID card issued from Pass and ID. If your wife is in the DEERS system, she can get a dependent ID card. If you are no longer in the service and are eligible for VA health care, then you can get an ID card issued by the VA. You wife would not be eligible for one of these ID cards unless she too is eligible for VA health care. I hope this helps. Best of luck, and thanks for your service.

  151. Ed L says

    I have membership in Amvets (life), Army Navy Club (life),American Legion and
    VFW. I have the Military designation on my drivers license and my DD214.
    I have been refused any discount at three different Lowes stores because I don’t have a VA issued card. I was told corporate says all the other forms are to easy to fake and they won’t honor them. That is their business and they can honor or reject as they see fit. This is my experience with their program.

  152. Cal says

    My fiance retired after 21 year in the Army. He has is DD214 but how would he get an actual retired military ID card?

  153. Aiona says

    I’m trying to figure out if my father would be eligible for a military ID or not.He was honorably discharged when he served in Hawaii.He did not retire from the military,just served for 2ys I think.Or any type of benefits greatly appreciate any type of info.

    • Ryan Guina says

      If your father served two years, then he likely would not be eligible for a military-issued ID card. He may, however, be eligible for a VA issued ID card, or a veterans designation on his driver’s license, provided he lives in a state which issues ID cards with a veterans designation. We have links to those resources within this article.

      He may also be eligible for various veterans benefits. These vary by individual, so the best thing for him to do would be to visit with a veterans affairs office at his county or state, or with the VA. He can visit his state website or for more information.

  154. Daniel G says

    I did not make it through Marine Corps boot camp. I was injuried in boot camp and after surgery was medically discharged. This is back in 2003 and I have been going back in forth about whether I am considered a vet or not. I have a General under Honorable conditions discharge. Am I considered a veteran? Not looking to just reap the benefits from this just would like a clear anwser.

    • Ryan Guina says

      Daniel, I haven’t been able to find a firm legal definition of a military veteran. There are several definitions in regard to benefits eligibility, such as the VA loan, GI Bill, etc. For example, to qualify for the VA Loan, you would have needed to have served 181 days on active duty, not including training time, unless you were discharged with a service-connected disability.

      The US government also gives a Veteran’s Preference for Federal Jobs. Part of their definition includes the following: hose honorably separated veterans who 1) qualify as disabled veterans because they have served on active duty in the Armed Forces at any time and have a present service-connected disability or are receiving compensation, disability retirement benefits, or pension from the military or the Department of Veterans Affairs; or 2) are Purple Heart recipients.

      in short, I don’t have a firm answer for you. Sorry I couldn’t give you a better answer.

  155. Donnie Freeman says

    I purchased a dishwasher at Lowe’s last week that was already 10% off. I asked the manager if they gave veterans discounts and she asked for one of the cards. Of course I didn’t have one but she knew to ask for my DD214. I went home and got it and she gave me an additional 10% off without blinking. At checkout, the salesman said I could get an additional 5% off if I used a Lowe’s card with a total of 25% off. I applied for the card right then. He said I should see the additional 5% when my statement comes. We’ll see. Additionally, our governor just signed law to get veterans ID on license in LA. It starts in Aug. The rest of nation should follow.

    • Ryan Guina says

      Thanks for sharing, Donnie. More and more states are adding a veteran’s ID on licenses. I hope it is done across the nation, as it would be a good way for veterans to prove their military service!

  156. roland says

    I served from 1981 to 1994, desert storm era, I wanted to do 20 years but was forced to take the ssb option. I was deemed 10 percent disabled but feel i should be 100 percent mentally disable, Id like to know what im entitled to if anything. I have a honorable discharge. Is there money I can apply for or anything else that im missing? Please respond Thanks. 13 years active duty in the army deserves something dont you think??

    • Ryan Guina says

      Roland, You will need to contact the VA about your disability claim. If you believe it was made in error, then you can file a new claim or apply to have your claim upgraded.

      You may also be eligible for additional benefits, however, eligibility for various programs depends on your unique situation. It is recommended you meet with a VA benefits counselor to go over your military and veterans file to determine benefits eligibility.

      Best of luck, and thanks for your service.

  157. blanketjackson says

    sorry folks. the only people eligible for military id cards are active duty, dependents, and 100% disabled vets. having served, wartime or peacetime is just not enough to be awarded benefits afforded to the aforementioned. while your service to this country is greatly appreciated, our government just doesn’t issue id cards to recognize service. as far as commissary, exchange, and mrw privileges go, it should be reserved only for the aforementioned. if you wanted to retain those bennies, you should have stayed in. can you imagine the nightmarish hell that the posts and bases would have to go through to clear half of this country for admittance onto military installations? we’d all be complaining about the outrageous military budget expenditures.

    • Carlos says

      What military budget? VA already issues VA ID cards. All active service and former members are loaded in the DEERS programs. So again what budget? Thats an excuse the government gives. The fact is there are far more vets living too far from a military base then what the government want to say. Another thing according this article, Vet ID cards are retricted for service connect vets. So where is the expenditure? The government just spent countless of hours enrolling vets in their ebenefits. That was a waste of funds.

  158. Mister IDCard says

    I have sent a link to that website to the VA for investigation. They may be legit, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they are not authorized IDs. I am also contacting DMDC, the people whom are in charge of all military IDs for verification. No organization should charge a veteran for an ID card. This sounds REALLY fishy, as in, identity theft fishy… CAVEAT EMPTOR…

    The VA can issue veterans IDs if you got out with less than 20 years service, please contact them for details on qualifications.

    I work across the hall from our ID card shop at a National Guard Armory. (requirements are the same as active duty or reserve for running the ID card station…)

    • Ryan Guina says

      These ARE NOT official ID cards, so always use your judgement before sending personal information, especially if you send your SSN or other info that could be used to steal your identity. Only government entities can issue an official ID card.

  159. Dennis M Tapp says

    Can I get a Veteran ID card if I served in the army from June 61 to June 64. I was told I cannot because I did not serve during a war. Is this true?

      • Carlos says


        Why is it that service connect veterans are not allowed access to a military base? If VA are so retricted to service connection only.

      • Carlos says

        Ops, sorry, VA service connect ID cards are so restricted is what I meant.


      • Ryan Guina says

        Carlos, It’s military policy to limit base access to those with active, retiree, and dependent ID cards. My guess is if they opened the gates to everyone with a VA issued service connected disability card, they would have too many people coming on base. In addition, those with VA disability cards aren’t always eligible for most base services, such as the Commissary, base exchange, etc., so there wouldn’t really be anything they could do once they were on base. In the end, I’m sure it all comes down to budgets, as giving vets with service connected disabilities the same benefits as military members would cost a fortune.

  160. Kenneth Nutter says

    Just a little misunderstanding about veterans ID Cards. I am a 100% service-connected disabiled veteran, and I have been issued to a military ID card. They will enter you into DEERS. The card is Tan. Additionaly, all of my dependents (Spouse, and children up to 21 – or 23 if attending school) are issued regular Military Dependent ID cards.

    100% service connected disability ID Cards are identical to retrired cards except: they are tan in color (not blue); and they only allow for use of the Exchange, Commissary, and MWR (NOT MEDICAL).

  161. Paul says


    Many states are introducing legislation authorizing a “Veteran’s Designation” – typically a “V” on state drivers licenses for this precise reason. South Dakota hopes to see the law passed this upcoming session. Check with your state representative; if it’s not scheduled to be introduced, push for it to be!

  162. Arthur says

    I have taken documents to Staples store and shrunk them down to a small size and then had them sealed in plastic . You will have to be the judge of how small to go because of the legibility of the print. I have never shrunk a DD214 but seems like a good idea to try for easier handling. The Staples scanners do a professional job and the sealing operation. I am not employed by Staples.

The Military Wallet is a property of Three Creeks Media. Neither The Military Wallet nor Three Creeks Media are associated with or endorsed by the U.S. Departments of Defense or Veterans Affairs. The content on The Military Wallet is produced by Three Creeks Media, its partners, affiliates and contractors, any opinions or statements on The Military Wallet should not be attributed to the Dept. of Veterans Affairs, the Dept. of Defense or any governmental entity. If you have questions about Veteran programs offered through or by the Dept. of Veterans Affairs, please visit their website at The content offered on The Military Wallet is for general informational purposes only and may not be relevant to any consumer’s specific situation, this content should not be construed as legal or financial advice. If you have questions of a specific nature consider consulting a financial professional, accountant or attorney to discuss. References to third-party products, rates and offers may change without notice.

Advertising Notice: The Military Wallet and Three Creeks Media, its parent and affiliate companies, may receive compensation through advertising placements on The Military Wallet; For any rankings or lists on this site, The Military Wallet may receive compensation from the companies being ranked and this compensation may affect how, where and in what order products and companies appear in the rankings and lists. If a ranking or list has a company noted to be a “partner” the indicated company is a corporate affiliate of The Military Wallet. No tables, rankings or lists are fully comprehensive and do not include all companies or available products.

Editorial Disclosure: Editorial content on The Military Wallet may include opinions. Any opinions are those of the author alone, and not those of an advertiser to the site nor of  The Military Wallet.