Many retailers offer discounts to retired and active duty military personnel. It’s a way for businesses to thank servicemen and servicewomen for their sacrifice.
And that’s honorable. But for many active duty military members and their families, military discounts are more than symbolic: They help stretch tight monthly budgets and create more purchasing power.
BJ’s Wholesale Clubs offer active duty and retired military personnel reduced-priced memberships. The clubs require all shoppers to buy annual memberships before they can shop.
While not all BJ’s Wholesale Clubs are guaranteed to offer the same type of promotional price, most BJ’s offer the same minimum discount for veterans. Check out all the details below about BJ’s Wholesale Club and how you can access the company’s military discounts.
About BJ’s Wholesale Club
The Westborough, Massachusets-based company operates in more than 215 clubs in states up and down the eastern seaboard.
States with BJ’s Wholesale Clubs include:
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New York
- North Carolina
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
You can find the club nearest to you here. The club’s warehouses stock a wide range of products, including:
- Household items
- Pet supplies
- Computers and tablets
- Other electronics
- Office furniture
- Lawn and gardens equipment
- Baby items
- Sports and fitness equipment
- Video games
- Health and beauty supplies
- School supplies
- Travel packages.
- BJ’s also offers gift cards, coupons, special deals, and clearance sales.
Both retired military members and people still serving can get a BJ’s Inner Circle membership at a reduced price.
Many locations offer a 25 percent military discount for their membership, lowering the fee for “B.J.’s Inner Circle” membership to $40 from its full price of $55 a year.
Some locations throw in a $10 coupon toward your first purchase after joining, adding to the military discount. The discount can vary from state to state, so contact your local BJ’s location to find out the specifics.
BJ’s Inner Circle Membership Benefits
Before joining, you may want to know whether the membership fee will be worthwhile or if it simply serves to make you a more loyal shopper.
Your shopping habits will help answer these questions. If you have to drive 45 minutes to find a BJ’s location, or if you live on base and don’t need to shop much, you may not benefit as much from membership.
However, if you have a big family or shop for large groups, you may save a lot. Membership benefits include:
- In-club and online shopping.
- A second card is provided as well enabling your spouse or any other member of your family to shop.
- Discount on purchase of gas at BJ’s Gas.
- Discounts on various services including travel services. BJ’s Travel services include vacation packages, hotel bookings, car rentals and bookings for cruises.
- Discounts on food products that includeUnited States Department of Agriculture approved meat and poultry, fresh produce and more.
- Discounts on in-house brands.
- Discounts at BJ’s Tire Center. You can search for the tires online and then place orders in-club.
- You also get digital coupons which are a great way to save money. Plus, BJ’s Wholesale accepts coupons issued by any and all manufacturers.
- You also become eligible to place orders online at BJs.com and pick up the products from the club a couple of hours later, completely skipping the usual checkout process.
Note that the membership fee discount is only for the Inner Circle plan ($55 full price) and not the company’s Perks Rewards membership. To join the Perks Rewards plans, military members and veterans would be required to pay the full $110 annual price.
Membership in any wholesale club includes at least some limitations. Sometimes clubs limit quantities of items you can purchase, which can make a difference if you’re planning a big retirement or welcome home party.
Other times a club may suspend membership if it thinks you’re buying supplies for scores of people who could be buying their own memberships.
With BJ’s Inner Circle discounted membership, expect the following limitations:
- While you can bring guests, they can’t make separate purchases.
- You can bring only two guests with you.
- If you want more than one extra membership card, expect to pay for it.
- Extra membership cards can be used only by people in your household.
- You can buy only three extra membership cards, and they cost $30 each.
For most members, these limitations don’t impact their usual shopping habits.
How to Access BJ’s Military Discount
Though it’s always best to call and find out details before making a special trip, taking advantage of BJ’s military discount for membership should be easy enough.
When a staff member asks for your membership card at the club door, tell him or her you’d like to join and you’ll be directed to the membership desk.
Bring your active military identification or a state-issued identification card that reflects your status as a veteran. If your state doesn’t include veteran status on ID cards, you can also bring:
- Veterans ID Card
- A copy of the Leave and Earnings Statement (LES).
- A copy of your discharge from active duty form (DD214). If you need a copy, you can usually get one from the Department of Defense (DoD) eBenefits website.
Even With a Discount, Will You Save at BJ’s?
If you live near a BJ’s Warehouse location and you shop a lot, you may be able to save money on your regular household purchases.
As all frugal shoppers already know, you can save money when you buy larger quantities of the products you already use, and wholesale clubs offer larger quantities than most other stores.
It’s important, however, to avoid the temptation to buy items you do not necessarily need simply because you’ve found a great price. Try to stick to your shopping list.
Along with household items such as paper products and detergents, BJ’s members also enjoy savings on big-ticket items.
If you’re setting up a new household after retiring or moving off base, you may have plenty of opportunities to save — new TVs, new tires, vacation packages, computers or printers. Finding deals on these kinds of items can help stretch your budget.
And remember joining a warehouse club does not mean you have to shop there exclusively. If you find a better deal online or at a retailer, go with it.
Enjoy Your Military Discounts
BJ’s Wholesale Goods provides shoppers from the military with discounts every day of the year, joining a long list of companies offering military discounts to our active servicemen, servicewomen, and veterans.
In addition to everyday discounts, many companies offer special military promotions on Veterans Day.
If you’re looking to save on dining, shopping, or events and attractions on November 11, businesses across the country will be offering special promotions and discounts to say thank you for your service. Be sure to check them out!