Military members make daily sacrifices to secure the freedom that many of us take for granted. Sometimes a simple “thank you” doesn’t seem like enough to properly thank all military members for their service on our behalf. Perhaps this is why thousands of stores around the nation offer military discounts to active service members, retirees, veterans, and in some cases, their family members.
We have done our best to verify each offer on this list of military discounts. Please help share this list with other military members and veterans who may be able to use these discounts. You can share them via FaceBook, Twitter, E-mail, or word of mouth.
General Rules About Military Discounts:
Here are some general rules of thumb regarding military discounts:
- Most military discounts aren’t publicized – it never hurts to ask.
- Most military discounts are only available to current military members. Some military discounts are available to all veterans, but in general, most discounts are for actively serving military members (some military discounts are extended to all veterans around major military holidays (Memorial Day, 4th of July or Veteran’s Day).
- Valid ID usually required. Most military discounts only apply if you have valid ID – usually a current Military ID Card or a retiree card.
- Other forms of ID may be acceptable. Commonly used ID cards and proof of military service include: VA health care card, VA issued ID Card, state drivers license with a veterans designation, a Veterans Organization Card (e.g., DAV, American Legion, VFW, etc.), DD214, discharge paperwork, or other form of identification may work for some military discounts, particularly those around the major military holidays (Memorial Day, 4th of July or Veteran’s Day).
- Many military discounts vary by location. Many franchises leave discounts at the discretion of the owner.
- Military discounts are not always the best offer. You may be able to find better deals by shopping around (airlines, hotels, and travel are good examples of times when shopping around may lead to bigger savings).
- Many hotel chains will match max per diem rates for your area. Always ask.
- Military discounts are a blessing, not a right. Discounts are offered out of kindness and respect for your service. Please don’t take issue if you don’t receive a discount.
For veterans of Iraq or Afghanistan, please check out IAVA. Members there are offered vouchers to many retail stores, such as JC Penney.
Military Discounts and Special Offers
Additions or suggestions? Please contact us if you know of additional stores which offer military discounts. Please send a link to the store or discount so that we may share it with everyone. If you are a company representative, please send an e-mail from your company e-mail address so we can verify the offer. Please indicate if the military discount is an ongoing offer, or for a special event such as Memorial Day or Veteran’s Day (see our list of Veteran’s Day Discounts for specific offers).
Military Discounts – Retail Locations
- Cell Phone Plans: Most major ell phone companies offer military discounts. Check out our list of military discounts on cell phone plans for more information.
- General Motors Military Discount Program.
- Home Depot 10% Military Discount.
- Lowe’s 10% Military Discount.
- Sam’s Club offers a membership discount for military members.
Travel Discounts & Discounts on Flights
Traveling can be expensive. Thankfully there are a few good ways to save money. Many companies and locations offer military discounts. We have an in-depth article that discusses how and where military members and veterans can find travel discounts. Popular amusement parks such as Disney World, Sea World, and Anheuser-Busch offer discounts or even free admission to eligible military members. Find more info in the following links:
- Where to find Military & Veteran Travel Discounts. Tips on how to save money on your travels.
- Disney World Military Discounts. Get discounted park hopper passes to Disney World.
- Free Admission to Anheuser-Busch Adventure Parks – Salute to Heroes.
- Armed Forces Vacation Club discounts. Discounted resort stays at locations around the world.
Try some of the following discounted travel outlets when making your next travel reservations:
Discounts Related to Military & Veterans Benefits
Two of the most valuable military and veterans benefits are the GI Bill and the VA Loan. Many companies offer military discounts on education or VA Loans.
You’ve earned your education benefits so use them and increase your earning power! Search GI Bill schools and other education opportunities.
VA Loan Information
A VA Loan is one of the best ways for a military veteran to afford a house. Be sure to get the right information before applying for your VA Loan!
- VA Loan Rates for Purchases and Refinancing. VA Loans may have lower interest rates than conventional mortgages. Use the tool on our site to compare interest rates from several different lenders.
- VA Loan info (military and veterans only)
Military Offers & Discounts on Financial Products & Services
There are many military financial institutions and companies that offer discounts on financial products and services. Here is a list of our top-rated military banks and credit unions. Check with these companies if you are searching for a new bank or other financial product.
Military Members File Taxes for Free!
Freebies and Sign up Bonuses
A little free money never hurt anyone! Try some of these discounts and freebies for a little extra spending money!
- Up to $300 from Chase Bank.
- $50-300 with credit card bonuses.
- $10 Ebates Bonus (Ebates Review)
- Free Money with sign up bonus offers. List of current bank bonuses and cash sign up bonuses.
Check for updates!
Be sure to check back often! I will try to make new listings as new new deals become available. Be sure to spread the word. Your family members and squadron members will thank you!